Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

This is a discussion on Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Personally, I'd want an AR carbine and a high quality .22lr. In Chechnya, the Russian sniper teams started rolling out .22lr target rifles as counter-sniper ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

Personally, I'd want an AR carbine and a high quality .22lr.

In Chechnya, the Russian sniper teams started rolling out .22lr target rifles as counter-sniper guns, due to the almost non-existent firing signature and effectiveness out to 100m.

As far as suppressors are concerned, there are all sorts of perfectly legal ways to suppress the signature of the .22lr. But I am loathe to put that out for all to see.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Against small pests, i wouldn't mind grabbing my 10/22. If I even think there's a larger threat (large dog/human.... not much else around here to worry about) I would grab my AK.

-$370 + tax
    -Ammo is cheaper than 9mm... Roughly $.20 per round. It's not as cheap as .22 but I don't have to worry about it not doing it's job.
    -Goes bang every time.
    -20, 30, 40 round mags easily available. 10 round or drum mags exist... can't attest to the reliability of the drums though.
    -Can withstand a beating.
    -I got a cheap Romanian one, so I don't have a heart attack if it gets a little beat up.
    -It's more accurate than I am. My eyes are the limiting factor when it comes to 50' or 100' shooting with iron sights.

VIP Member
    I've previously checked and verified that mounting a scope on a 336 30-30 is technically not heresy if you use high-rise mounts, so that the iron sites are still visible and usable.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The .22LR & .22 Magnum are among the two most underrated
    rounds available... Inside effective range, a decent shooter can get
    precise hits with ease (head shots) on squirrels, etc. and think about the relative size of a human head when it comes to self defense.

It's often been said, that it's better to take a .30 cal round in the belly than a .22 in the corner of the eye. That's why the .22 is in use by many military and para military units today.

Here are my two rimfire rifles, a Thompson Center .22LR semi auto
    and a Ruger 10/22 Magnum, also semi. Both very effective.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I got a 10/22 with a Simmons 4X scope for my son and I enjoy shooting it just as much as my M4. I cut center at 75yds with no problem. Of course if I had to choose between the two for eliminating a threat I'd have to go with the M4.

Thanks all. Keep posting and I'll keep reading and researching.

I would be carful scoping a lever action. I have seen a few that have been scoped and it ruined the nice carrying and handling ability that I love about a lever gun. They are great guns to walk with during deer season and would fit your requirements just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    I would be carful scoping a lever action. I have seen a few that have been scoped and it ruined the nice carrying and handling ability that I love about a lever gun. They are great guns to walk with during deer season and would fit your requirements just fine.
    +1. Also see through scope mounts do not allow proper stockwell to the cheek, and therefore hinder accurate shooting, and being accurate at distance is the whole point of the rifle. Jeff Cooper said''the rifle is the queen of the battle, shoot her well.''

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My newest solution for this type of urban/suburban carbine/rifle: Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, with a Picatinny-spec rail and and an Aimpoint Micro T-1. Expensive, optic, yes, but rugged and proven in the sandboxes. I also have a Leupold 2.5X scope I may try soon on a Mini, or on a Browning BLR. I love my BLRs, but thus far they have been used with open sights.

I am actually more likely to engage with a Remington 870P, because I do wear a badge, for an agency that considers my self-defense and home-defense encounters to be duty-related. The short version: My PD's rules of deployment and engagement are much simpler for shotguns and handguns than for rifles. For a guy like me, who prefers the carbine for urban/suburban SD and HD, retirement will be a relief in this regard, though it is possible that I will be able to tote the Mini for official purposes sometime in the future.

Not that I feel an 870 to be inadequate for this task; indeed, a shotgun, with the slug option, is quite good out to 50 yards and somewhat beyond. A rifle just makes things simpler and easier, especially past 40 yards. Moreover, if I have dropped to prone, running the slide is problematic, with my long arms. Working a lever rifle's action is actually quite simple from prone.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    I picked up a CX4 Storm in .45 a few years back for
    that very reason.
    230 grains will rock steel plates @75 yards with almost
    no drop .
    Its a lot of fun in 3 gun competition though not as
    fast as a AR15/M4 because of low magazine capacity.

ive been thinking of one in 9mm. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger at their seriously OVER priced price...I mean honestly if im gonna pay closer to $800 I may as well just get a M4 platform in 9mm...but ive seen decent used ones in the $600 and less range..which is where they should be brand new anyways..its a $600 NIB gun not a $700+ NIB gun.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Lever action rifle in 357 mag, or 44 Mag. Light, compact, able to use 2 seperate rounds and with the longer barrel they pack a decent enough punch at 100 meters.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

While some day I may own a fancy AR-15 with all the bells and whistles I have decided that for the time being my SHTF/Survival rifle will be a Marin 336 in 30-30 with a nice scope. Get good with it and you can be plenty dangerous from 150-200 yards.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger PC4 in .40 s&w that belonged to my Dad for this same purpose. I have 8 ten round mags and 3 twenty rounders, really fun to shoot.I also have a lever gun if needed, and if things get really bad, out comes the SA
    M1A socom 16.

Another vote for the Mini 14 Ranch rifle here.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    I used to feel the same way. Now I'm at the age where my arms are getting shorter, I'm much faster on target with a low powered scope, close or far. Compact scopes limit the damage but they do add a little bit of weight and bulk. Kind of a necessary evil thing.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links