Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

This is a discussion on Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Cold Warrior Considering common, city and suburban defense or predator hunting scenarios, say for an adequate average range of maybe 100 meters, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Considering common, city and suburban defense or predator hunting scenarios, say for an adequate average range of maybe 100 meters, what would be good-enough reasonably-priced rifles, with sturdy useful scopes and adequate available common calibers and bullet supplies, etc. Nothing erotic or exotic or too expensive, Spec Op or SWAT, this not being desert, forest, fields or mountains around here.
    Nothing fancy but I would think the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch .223 would be adequate.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I vote for the .223. Its fast, cheap to shoot, has enough power for game if need be (although not legal, we are talking WSHTF) and also has the ability to be accurate a distance if need be. I have a ruger .223 and one in the AR platform. I love em. But I can also see how a .22 or .22 mag could come in handy. .22 are very quite and with no flash could have some good advantages or they seem to when i'm shooting wabbits.

AR-15. If you can shoot one of these, you can shoot the same rifle lots of other guys have and find parts for it. Ammo is plentiful and you can carry 120 rounds rather easily.
    Oh, and the AR is not really and "exotic" gun nowadays.

Well what I did was I got an AR, then I got a 22lr conversion kit. Best of both worlds. Only takes like 15 seconds to switch the BCG out for what ever caliber. I leave the original setup .223. WHen I go out to plink or pest hunt I switch to 22lr. Be surpised how fast and accurate you can rap off 25rounds of 22lr....quite deadly. The accuracy for 22lr in the AR is pretty impressive.

Or for a more possible heavy engagement..switch to the .223. I keep the conversion kit in the same bag I carry my rifle.

Think you might need the 22lr more.....leave the AR with that in it.

Springfield M1A Scout covers all your needs.

I had an AR-15, but sold it when considering what I really wanted for the homefront.
    I then purchased TWO lever action rifles...
    A Henry 22 mag with a Leupold scope Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

A Marlin 336SS in 30-30 Marlin Model 336SS
    I did not scope this rifle, but I did put a fiber optic front site on it...helps these 6 decade old eyes.

I have a ton of ammo for both, and I feel that my HD rifle needs are fully met.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If out to 125yds with little risk of ricochet or striking a nearby business or residence? A lever-action rifle in either .30-30 or .44mag lever-action rifle can do well. In .30-30, you can pick up used examples for between $150-350 all day long, all across the country. In .44mag, a bit more. With a 20" bbl, a .44mag gives you 10 shots. A scout scope with extended eye relief works well out to 100yds, or possibly red dot. Depends on your eyes. For a budget, this sort of setup is what I might recommend.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the old Marlin 336 30-30 just can't be beat. With the Marlin high rise mounts those with the necessary eyesight can still use the irons. I use the scope , being somewhat visual impaired. From the bench, with plain old Rem Corelokt, it's capable of 1moa consistantly. Trouble free action, perfect balance, and no more intimadating looks than Elmer Fudd's wabbit gun. Follow up shots are pretty darned easy. But, I wouldn't overlook the 38/357 or 44 models with 16 inch barrels for HD/SD use, although their range may be a bit limited for all around use.

I also have a CX4 in 9mm, but have decided to sell it in search of something new. The CX4 is fine for HD/SD distances, but has little practical "field use" (hunting).

surv

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    For Urban use and versatility I think the following are all good choices with pro's and con's for each:

In no particular order

Marlin 1894C in .357; can shoot .38's and can stock up on ammo for a Rifle and a handgun. It's accurate, will kill a deer a close range, is handy and if you put a real small fixed 4 power or the small 2-7 x 32 mm scope on it, it's not bad for handling.

A Berretta CX4 in 9mm; again you can then have a handgun in matching caliber. it's good to 100 yards; very compact and very well made. Yes it costs but there's nothing quite like it that's quite as nice

A High Point 9mm carbine. Before you laugh, it's cheap but very reliable. I have one and it's a tough as nails gun that is accurate too boot. The trigger is a bit rough but it's adequate. Weak point is the mags. Only 10 rounds and the mags aren't the best.

A Remington .223 pump action rifle. Looks a lot like a Reminton 870 shotgun. It's not a militaryish as an AR but has a detachable magazine; shoots an effective and reasonably inexpensive round. It's quick into action and feels real good on the shoulder. Not too expensive and it has no real recoil I think this is a great all around general purpose rifle.

A Ruger 10/22 with a threaded 16" replacement barrel, a hogue overmolded stock and a trigger part or two. Would enable you to shoot 30 round magazines, it would be a fast handling and accurate gun. It's a reliable semi so you could really hold off someone laying down some fire. You'd want to invest in additional 10 round or 30 round mags.

The choices keep going....

Gideon

I like the idea of a Marlin 336. You can get them new with walnut furniture at Buds Guns for $430 + a transfer fee. Even if you never need it for your SHTF scenario, you have a beautiful rifle for hunting and for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I've been looking for something similar, and after seeing the thread below, these look interesting for a good, reasonably priced HD gun.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ub-2000-a.html
    With a little google research, it's easy to find allot of performance reviews.
    The fact that I could use magazines for my existing pistol also helps.
    I like mine quite a bit.

I have the 9MM "Glock compatible" with a couple of 33 rd mags...plus it will use my G19 mags.

CDNNsports.com once again has them in stock at $299...I just ordered a second one because I am tired of having to give up mine to range friends who always want to play with it.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Senior Moderator
    For an urban gun, the mentioned .30-30 or .22lr is a good choice.

Is the gun primarily for defense? Do you not want to appear all tactical?

I will have to mention my favorite the M1 carbine with a scout scope. (I don't have mine scoped but have thought about it).

I have put a Compact Scope on my FAL (I would recommend a DSA mount)

The FAL is a little long and not my first choice to use indoors, but it will turn most cover into concealment pretty quick
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

A Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or other pistol caliber carbine such as Marlin 9mm or .45 or the CX4 Storm would probably be very handy and fit the bill.

If looking for a rifle caliber weapon, the Lever Action .30-30 or an SKS 7.62 x 39mm would be good choices as well. A Ruger Mini 14 or Mini .30 would cost a bit more but be great choices as well. An AK-47 or AK-74 may be a bit cheaper than the Rugers.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    A Remington .223 pump action rifle. Looks a lot like a Reminton 870 shotgun. It's not a militaryish as an AR but has a detachable magazine; shoots an effective and reasonably inexpensive round. It's quick into action and feels real good on the shoulder. Not too expensive and it has no real recoil I think this is a great all around general purpose rifle.
    I've looked really hard at these. For the money, though, I keep coming back to the Mini 14. The semi-auto is just faster than the pump.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Maybe a converted Saiga in 5.45x39.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links