Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

This is a discussion on Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a great deal on a Marlin 30-30 over the weekend. It is "gently used", very clean inside and out. Very nice fit to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

I got a great deal on a Marlin 30-30 over the weekend. It is "gently used", very clean inside and out. Very nice fit to my shoulder, a true "pointer". I don't plan to scope it right now, it is just too pretty.

2. Remove Ads

Hmmm,
    a scope at that range? Ok for target shooting but will slow you down if TSHTF. Fancy, but not needed.

Retsupt has an excellent combination, my choice is Marlin 37A and Win . 94

Pax
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

Funny you say that...I originally did not intend on mounting a scope on my Mini 14. However, I found I shot left with the iron sights, so I mounted a 3-9 X variable scope I had laying around. I leave it at 3 X where it is fairly quick even up close, and like having the ability to dial up more magnification if needed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    Hmmm,
    a scope at that range? Ok for target shooting but will slow you down if TSHTF. Fancy, but not needed.

Retsupt has an excellent combination, my choice is Marlin 37A and Win . 94

Pax
    You need more practice using scopes. I'd agree a bunch if your magnification was too high but using low magification is much faster than irons with a bit of practice. My Sig has a 1-4x IR that is second in speed only to a red dot and then, not by much. My 2 most used hunting rifles carry a fixed 4x & 6x and I have no problem getting on target quickly, even up close. Average shot on whitetails for me around here is 20-50 yards and they are rarely standing still. Irons have advantages in size, weight & ruggedness but not in performance when the right optic is chosen for the job.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thanks all, still reading and researching, considering suburban scenarios and I want to have a scope, having never had one on a gun.

How about the Savage Edge XP? $300 to $350 WITH a scope and pick your caliber!
    Check the review out at Gunblast: New Savage Edge 243 Winchester Bolt-Action Rifle

Jeff Quinn says he got sub-MOA groups out of it with off-the-shelf hunting ammo.
    Attached Images

Shoots great, very accurate out to 100 yards, soft on recoil and loaded with Corbon DPX Copper Hollow Points...effective.
    cost me around $600.00 a year ago. I'm old and perfer wood and steel. Can mount a scope or red dot.

Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

You are describing the Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30 Ranch Rifle with a fixed 4x scope. Yes, there are other options but this is what you are describing in my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Golly Geez!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Savage builds the Edge chambered for the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 25-06 Remington , and 30-06 Springfield cartridges. The new Savage Edge is an excellent rifle at an amazing price, and is built by American craftsmen in the USA.

Okay, now, what Savage bullets would be best to shoot in a suburban scenario, where thousand-meter shots would be few or rare out there? This gun looks and sounds pretty tempting, and nice for the price, four rounds in the magazine being good enough for what it does, but not quick and close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Savage builds the Edge chambered for the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 25-06 Remington , and 30-06 Springfield cartridges. The new Savage Edge is an excellent rifle at an amazing price, and is built by American craftsmen in the USA.

Okay, now, what Savage bullets would be best to shoot in a suburban scenario, where thousand-meter shots would be few or rare out there? This gun looks and sounds pretty tempting, and nice for the price, four rounds in the magazine being good enough for what it does, but not quick and close.
    Well,
    I think .308 would be best based on cost, availability and capability. I am very tempted to pick up one of these Egde rifles - or maybe two.

VIP Member
    With regards to the topic at hand let me give my choices in order.

AR/AK/Mini 14/ Lever action. If I had to think in terms of budget, it would be a Mini 14 because of the quicker follow up shots and higher capacity over the Lever action. All of these picks are superb. I would like to clarify my pick of the AR before the AK, if under 100 yards I will take the AK (modernized) in an urban environment any day.

Don't go with a 22.LR, I would love to have the stats of everyone who recommended the 22. I would bet if you ask them and were to review their prior posts, they would never recommend anything below a .380 for hand guns, but will jump ship on a thread like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

my $1.00 - $0.98

Any one who wants to be a shooter needs a 22lr rifle. That is a given. If you are going semi the 10/22 is a great option.

That said and done, if the neighborhood meth dealer were to go shooting up the block, my 22 is NOT what I would grab personally.

In my book the long gun section of the safe is lacking if you dont at least have a shotgun (pump is a great option) and a semi auto center fire rifle of some persuasion.

To me an AK is the easy choice. Ammo is still cheap enough guns are plentiful they are dead reliable and accurate enough for minute of bad guy level shooting.

ARs are fine as well, if you are into that kind of thing. Personally I dislike direct impingement, and I like big bullets and I cannot lie. :-) Also not being limited to FMJ as I never signed the haupage convention, I get to use big soft points.

That and there is just something about locking 40 rounds of 154 grain soft point goodness into the gun that feels SO right

[QUOTE=C hawk Glock;1639416]With regards to the topic at hand let me give my choices in order.

AR/AK/Mini 14/ Lever action. If I had to think in terms of budget, it would be a Mini 14 because of the quicker follow up shots and higher capacity over the Lever action. All of these picks are superb. I would like to clarify my pick of the AR before the AK, if under 100 yards I will take the AK (modernized) in an urban environment any day.

Don't go with a 22.LR, I would love to have the stats of everyone who recommended the 22. I would bet if you ask them and were to review their prior posts, they would never recommend anything below a .380 for hand guns, but will jump ship on a thread like this.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe some of those folks realize that different tools work for different jobs; a handgun is a last-ditch, close in weapon; what the OP asked is not that.

The OP wanted a rifle that would work at range, in an urban environment, out to 100 yards. There's a post floating around here that shows the effectiveness of the .22LR round--out of a rifle--out to 300 yards; within 100, I think it would work just fine.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If you are looking to scope a rifle and use it in an "urban" environment, I would use an EER (extended eye relief) scope with a scout scope setup. That way you can keep more of a heads up, both eyes open position and since its for relatively close distances inside 100 yards for the most part a 2X or 2.5X scope is all you need.

An inexpensive option like an SKS (7.62x39) with a scout setup is perfect. Setup on a parapet wall on a rooftop I could make head shots all day out to 125 yards with this setup and if I had to relocate quickly and leave it behind I have not left $1000 on the roof.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links