Defensive Carry banner

Adequate suburban-defense scoped rifle?

8K views 74 replies 49 participants last post by  PaxMentis 
#1 ·
Considering common, city and suburban defense or predator hunting scenarios, say for an adequate average range of maybe 100 meters, what would be good-enough reasonably-priced rifles, with sturdy useful scopes and adequate available common calibers and bullet supplies, etc. Nothing erotic or exotic or too expensive, Spec Op or SWAT, this not being desert, forest, fields or mountains around here.
:confused:

#2 ·
#41 ·
I like mine quite a bit.

I have the 9MM "Glock compatible" with a couple of 33 rd mags...plus it will use my G19 mags.

CDNNsports.com once again has them in stock at $299...I just ordered a second one because I am tired of having to give up mine to range friends who always want to play with it.

:danceban:

#3 ·
Seriously?

A good .22LR with some serious glass (3-9 Trijicon Accupoint, perhaps), illuminated reticle a plus. Ruger 10/22 with a heavier barrel (although, the carbon-wrapped lightweight bull barrels I've played with have excellent accuracy for the weight), perhaps a better stock.

From what I read, you're not looking for a in-your-face defensive long gun; you want something that can hold somebody off a ways...and the .22 will do that. Especially if you can place it exactly where you want it to. It'll drop small game just fine, and .22LR is a common deer poaching round. Add in that it has a fairly quite report (made even quiter by--if you live someplace amenable, that is--a supressor).

Super common ammo, and about the cheapest, as well...not so much for bullet supplies, but one can amass a 20k round stockpile for around $700...

Something to think about...

#5 ·
I'd also add a .30-30 lever gun with a fixed 2.5 or 4x scope into consideration. Ammo is relatively cheap & reasonably powerful. If engaging vehicles or opponents behind cover is a possibility, the .30-30 is much more capable than the .22. I'd also consider a lever gun in .357 or .44 as well.

#10 ·
This one gets my vote... accurate, powerful enough to 100 yards and beyond, and good barrier penetration at closer range. With a large aperture sight you might even find the low-power scope to be overkill for defense at close range. Not to mention it's not an "evil black rifle" and thus will be near the bottom of the confiscation list when Holder and Napolitano get their way!

#6 ·
A good autoloading 22 magnum just might be the ticket here. Its got more umph at 100 yards than a 22lr has at the muzzle. When compared to centerfire ammo, it is still plenty cheap, and it is a wicked little cartridge. I sure as &*#$ would not want to catch one.

#7 ·
+1 on the lever action, in various calibers; .30-30, .357, .45lc, .44 mag

Or, a little more money, a BLR in .223 or .243

A .22 mag would be good, too. The .22lr would have to be limited to under 100 yds.

Another option may be pump action centerfire rifles, they're not that popular right now, but could be very effective.

#8 ·
I agree to the posters who suggest a .30-.30 if you need a rifle caliber, or a Remington 7600 pump in 223, it is a pump action like a Rem 870, but takes AR mags and has rifle sights.

In a Pistol caliber, I agree with the Kel- Sub 2000 or a Ruger PC Carbine in 9 or 40.

#9 ·
1+ on 10/22 also, at range 200yds 10/22 will penetrate 1/2 in ply wood and keep going while being very accurate.

Zeroed at 100yds with a 3x9 by 40 scope and shooting 22 to 24 ins high makes 200yd target a easy hit.

Don't know of any ballistic gel test on penetration of 22lr at 200yds but would think it would be about 6ins, this is only a guess.

#11 ·
It's tough to beat a nice lever gun for a low key suburban defender. 30-30 is powerful in within its range, and actually fairly economical to shoot considering what it is. 336W can still be had right around 3 bills.
If it were me, I wouldn't scope it. If you must, I'd stick with a low power or even retro fit some sort of red dot type.

Also mentioned is the KelTec carbine. That is one ugly but sweet little package. It isnt exactly powerful, but it will keep you from having to stock yet another caliber. I think the 9mm or 40 versions would do just fine for the tasks you mentioned.

#12 ·
I picked up a CX4 Storm in .45 a few years back for
that very reason.
230 grains will rock steel plates @75 yards with almost
no drop .
Its a lot of fun in 3 gun competition though not as
fast as a AR15/M4 because of low magazine capacity.

#25 ·
ive been thinking of one in 9mm. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger at their seriously OVER priced price...I mean honestly if im gonna pay closer to $800 I may as well just get a M4 platform in 9mm...but ive seen decent used ones in the $600 and less range..which is where they should be brand new anyways..its a $600 NIB gun not a $700+ NIB gun.

#15 ·
SKS
Well made, accurate to minute of goblin at 100m, cheap to shoot, easy to find ammo, easy to clean and maintain, and relatively inexpensive for a semiauto center-fire rifle. Put a red dot or a low power scope on it and its perfect for defense or deer hunting.

#16 ·
Personally, I'd want an AR carbine and a high quality .22lr.

In Chechnya, the Russian sniper teams started rolling out .22lr target rifles as counter-sniper guns, due to the almost non-existent firing signature and effectiveness out to 100m.

As far as suppressors are concerned, there are all sorts of perfectly legal ways to suppress the signature of the .22lr. But I am loathe to put that out for all to see.

#17 ·
Against small pests, i wouldn't mind grabbing my 10/22. If I even think there's a larger threat (large dog/human.... not much else around here to worry about) I would grab my AK.

-$370 + tax
-Ammo is cheaper than 9mm... Roughly $.20 per round. It's not as cheap as .22 but I don't have to worry about it not doing it's job.
-Goes bang every time.
-20, 30, 40 round mags easily available. 10 round or drum mags exist... can't attest to the reliability of the drums though.
-Can withstand a beating.
-I got a cheap Romanian one, so I don't have a heart attack if it gets a little beat up.
-It's more accurate than I am. My eyes are the limiting factor when it comes to 50' or 100' shooting with iron sights.

#19 ·
The .22LR & .22 Magnum are among the two most underrated
rounds available... Inside effective range, a decent shooter can get
precise hits with ease (head shots) on squirrels, etc. and think about the relative size of a human head when it comes to self defense.

It's often been said, that it's better to take a .30 cal round in the belly than a .22 in the corner of the eye. That's why the .22 is in use by many military and para military units today.

Here are my two rimfire rifles, a Thompson Center .22LR semi auto
and a Ruger 10/22 Magnum, also semi. Both very effective.

Attachments

#23 ·
+1. Also see through scope mounts do not allow proper stockwell to the cheek, and therefore hinder accurate shooting, and being accurate at distance is the whole point of the rifle. Jeff Cooper said''the rifle is the queen of the battle, shoot her well.''

#24 ·
My newest solution for this type of urban/suburban carbine/rifle: Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, with a Picatinny-spec rail and and an Aimpoint Micro T-1. Expensive, optic, yes, but rugged and proven in the sandboxes. I also have a Leupold 2.5X scope I may try soon on a Mini, or on a Browning BLR. I love my BLRs, but thus far they have been used with open sights.

I am actually more likely to engage with a Remington 870P, because I do wear a badge, for an agency that considers my self-defense and home-defense encounters to be duty-related. The short version: My PD's rules of deployment and engagement are much simpler for shotguns and handguns than for rifles. For a guy like me, who prefers the carbine for urban/suburban SD and HD, retirement will be a relief in this regard, though it is possible that I will be able to tote the Mini for official purposes sometime in the future.

Not that I feel an 870 to be inadequate for this task; indeed, a shotgun, with the slug option, is quite good out to 50 yards and somewhat beyond. A rifle just makes things simpler and easier, especially past 40 yards. Moreover, if I have dropped to prone, running the slide is problematic, with my long arms. Working a lever rifle's action is actually quite simple from prone.

#27 ·
While some day I may own a fancy AR-15 with all the bells and whistles I have decided that for the time being my SHTF/Survival rifle will be a Marin 336 in 30-30 with a nice scope. Get good with it and you can be plenty dangerous from 150-200 yards.

#28 ·
I have a Ruger PC4 in .40 s&w that belonged to my Dad for this same purpose. I have 8 ten round mags and 3 twenty rounders, really fun to shoot.I also have a lever gun if needed, and if things get really bad, out comes the SA
M1A socom 16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.