Rossi Rifles

Rossi Rifles

This is a discussion on Rossi Rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been considering a level action rifle lately. I know that marlin is kind of the standard but what about the Rossi's? They make ...

Thread: Rossi Rifles

Rossi Rifles

I have been considering a level action rifle lately. I know that marlin is kind of the standard but what about the Rossi's? They make them in a lot of calibers (I found the .454 quite intriguing). What is the affiliation with Taurus?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    Remember the threads about your 709? Get ready to make some about a Rossi if you purchase one. Taurus bought out Rossi years ago; they are one in the same unless something happened recently.
    If you want a disposable plinker in a light caliber, the Rossi might be OK. If it were my money, I'd spend a little more for a Marlin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The Marlin is not going to be much more expensive, but it's going to be triple the quality.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Does anyone else make an 1892-type lever action other than them?

As far as I'm concerned, if you can get it done with a pistol caliber, I'd choose the 1892 action.

Go with the Marlin...it will be worth your extra $$$ later. The Rossis I have handled in that rifle type you are describing are kind of cheap and chintzy feeling. Maybe even look for a good used Winchester lever action.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm not a big Rossi handgun fan but I worked on a couple Puma rifles for a couple of local CAS folks and they seemed to be pretty nice, and smoothed out great with a little work.

Sorry is so long...

I have a Rossi "Puma" Saddle-ring Carbine in 45LC that I have been well satisfied with. My only complaint would be that the sights need to be better.

That said:
    I have owned Winchester, Marlin, Browning, and Rossi lever actions.
    Browning was the best by far for fit-n-finish.

Of the two Winchesters I've owned, the early 1900's 44-40 carbine was the best, the 30-30 was made in the late 1990's and was very easy to see the poorer attention to detail and less 'hand fitting' of parts.

I've owned a number of Marlins and all have been fine guns. I had a 45LC that had been used for CAS competition that had failure-to-feed problems due to extreme wear. Replaced the shell carrier and no more problems. The first owner estimated 12-15K rounds through it and I put around 1000 rounds before it jammed on me the first time. (Google "Marlin Jam)

Side note on Marlin:
    My Grandfather and his brother each bought Marlin 30-30's at the same time (early 1920's ?) The parts are NOT interchangeable. All internal parts were hand fitted to the individual rifle. That is no longer the case in our modern world of technology.

I have put approximately 3-400 rounds through my "Puma" with only one problem. Blazer aluminum cases have a small cut at the outside edge of the rim that catches the shell follower and does not always allow the shell to feed.
    The fit and finish of my Rossi is actually better than my Winchester 30-30 and right on par with the Marlin. To be fair, I have to say that I picked from 5 Rossi carbines and none of the others were as well fitted.

The Rossi is OK, but I don't believe it has enough quality to go long-term like Marlin has proven their rifles can.

Tracy
    Last edited by TSKnight; May 20th, 2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I've come very close to getting a Rossi in .357. I like the balance of the gun better than the Marlin. Still haven't decided.....I'm torn between a 357 lever, and a XD.40sc (with the option of converting to a 357sig). Oh the decisions.....

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    The older Rossi's are better quality than the newer ones imho

Senior Moderator
    The only Rossi rifle that I have is a .22LR break open single shot with a changable .410ga barrel that I got for my sons. I have bought one Rossi pistol and will not buy another, it has the worst trigger I have ever encountered on a handgun
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks for the answers all. I'll go with the marlin 30-30.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo,

if you have not bought the .30-30 yet, consider the .35 Remington. I bought the Marlin 336 in .35, and shoot the Hornady LEVERevolution, 200 gr. I am very pleased with the rifle, and the round.

p.s. when I bought the Marlin, I handled, at the same store, on the same rack, the Rossi, the Henry, the Mossberg, and a used Winchester. Only mho, but the Marlin beat them all, except for the Henry. The Henry was kinda' pricey for me, however.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I bought the Rossi .22/.410 combo for my nephew. It is a little on the crude side as far as finish quality is concerned but it shoots nice and straight and we haven't had a single problem with it. Oh yeah, after rebates and promotions at Dick's it was $50 :)

I have two Marlins in lever action - .30-.30 and .22. Great guns.

Also you may want to look into Henry's. They're resonably priced, have a good rep, and look great.

Links