Assault Rifle Washington State

This is a discussion on Assault Rifle Washington State within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been asking some friends of mine about the legality of buying an AK-47 from a guy I know, and I've gotten so many different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been asking some friends of mine about the legality of buying an AK-47 from a guy I know, and I've gotten so many different answers I thought someone here might know the truth.

Here's my question: Can I legally buy an AK-47 from a friend? He is not a dealer, and he bought it from a guy who bought it from a dealer.
    I live in Washington state and I'm not sure what the law is regarding assault rifles.

Anyway the last thing I want to do is jeopardize my CPL, so I want to make sure this is legal. Any information would be appreciated.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless the AK-47 has full auto capability, certainly you can buy it.
    You can find any answers on firearms by searching the WA statues on them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Foster View Post
    From what he has told me it is a Russian made full auto.
    If it hasn't been legally transferred then run away...run away!

VIP Member
    From what he has told me it is a Russian made full auto.
    Then no, not without the proper federal license to own one. And he'd better have one too if he's caught with it. Could be very bad! Federal offense=time in the BIG house! Not the time to get caught with one.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That was kind of the gut feeling I had, so I will definitely pass on in. The only reason I was interested was another buddy of mine gave me 1000 rounds of the 7.62x39 ammo before he moved.
    Guess I'll stick to my original plan and get an SKS (from a dealer)

A legal transferable FA AK47 will run in excess of $10,000,if hes asking for an amount less than that then he has an Illegal gun,just holding it will get you federal prison time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I thought any automatic gun before 1986 is legal? Or do you have to have a license for it?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member
    Must be licensed. None manufactured afterwards.

VIP Member
    That was kind of the gut feeling I had, so I will definitely pass on in. The only reason I was interested was another buddy of mine gave me 1000 rounds of the 7.62x39 ammo before he moved.
    Guess I'll stick to my original plan and get an SKS (from a dealer)
    Or pick up a standard "semi" auto AK.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Or pick up a standard "semi" auto AK.
    Or an AR-10
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I've been asking some friends of mine about the legality of buying an AK-47 from a guy I know, and I've gotten so many different answers I thought someone here might know the truth.

Here's my question: Can I legally buy an AK-47 from a friend? He is not a dealer, and he bought it from a guy who bought it from a dealer.
    I live in Washington state and I'm not sure what the law is regarding assault rifles.

Anyway the last thing I want to do is jeopardize my CPL, so I want to make sure this is legal. Any information would be appreciated.
    I live in WA state and it is illegal (a felony) for a citizen to own a SBR or a machine gun. Unless you work in Law Enforcement or work at a manufacturer or repair shop of said firearms. If you do work for at those places you can pay the $200 tax stamp and undergo a background check.

I live in WA.

Dude, unless it is a fully Auto U can have it you don't have to register it, unless it is a hand gun. But I would find out if it was stolen. U can call the sheriffs office and they will run it for you. If in doubt call the local police department. Ak, Ar, and Hk is all ok if semiautomatic. If full auto you must possess a class 3 license.

Yeah stay far away from that. We really need to change the laws in WA so we can have unrestricted access to all NFA weapons/items.

And I'd say don't call the police about that... If someone wants to have some fun with a full auto and illegally converts a gun, that's their choice. But I wouldn't be a douche and rat him out to the feds unless you suspected that he was gonna do something... bad. But since he's trying to sell it, I'm guessing it's because he's scared he's gonna get caught with it. Tell him to destroy it (like, completely melt it down). That's the only way he can for sure avoid going to prison for possessing it. If he keeps advertising it to different people the word might just travel to law enforcement...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Must be licensed. None manufactured afterwards.
    The stupid thing about WA is that for machine guns, SBR/SBSs, and destructive devices you have to have taken possession of it BEFORE 1994. No transfers allowed.

Hmm, 1994... rings a bell... I think I remember some other awful anti-gun legislation being enacted around that time... can't put my finger on it though...

The term "ASSAULT RIFLE" has been adapted by the liberal left and incorporated into mainstream society to infer an evil, murdering, killing machine that has no sporting value and that is NOT protected by the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

Please consider using the terms " magazine fed semi-automatic rifle" or "AK-47" so as not to feed into the tripe that the political left propogates. Thanks !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links