Looking at Saiga Rifle in .223

This is a discussion on Looking at Saiga Rifle in .223 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am really considering a Saiga rifle for my next purchase...does anyone own one of these or has anyone have any input on these rifles? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Saiga Rifle in .223

Looking at Saiga Rifle in .223

I am really considering a Saiga rifle for my next purchase...does anyone own one of these or has anyone have any input on these rifles? Most reviews are favorable I've read. Any help will be appreciated.... I live in Connecticut, so I have to be careful not to violating our "assault weapons" definition.

THE SAIGA IS AN AUTOLOADING RIFLE with a hunting buttstock and fore end (plastic). The Saiga rifles are intended for hunting big and medium-sized game under different climatic conditions. The rifles are developed on the base of the venerable Kalashnikov assault rifle and chambered for .223 REM.
    Features:
    - Synthetic Stock
    - 16" Barrel Length
    - Traditional Safety
    - Scope Mount
    - Bolt Stop
    - 10rd Magazine
    Attached Images
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I hear nothing but good about them. High quality guns. Best quality, as far as AK-type carbines are concerned.

Of course, my Czech friends might disagree...

I have a few saiga's. They are good quality new Russian rifles for a fair price, and in the factory connotation they are real sleepers/plain janes.

Just got done doing a conversion on a saiga 5.45.

Having debated for quite some time between a .223 or a .308 for my next saiga project, I went with something completely different and picked up the 5.45.

I will end up doing a .223 in the future.

Although I haven't got my Saiga 5.45 yet , it willbe hear the 21st, I believe Zero is right on the money. And not only they a great sleeper/plain jane, they are probably the best deal on a quality AK with chrome lined barrel.

I will be doing the hand grip conversion on mine shortly after getting it as I already have the stuff waiting on the rifle. Even thinking about making a 5 or 10 round mag for hunting.

I'm not sure which Saiga will be my next. I plan on 1 in each caliber offered. Seriously thinking about the 308 but could swing towards the 7.62 or the .223. More than likely will be a 7.62 first as ammo is getting easy to find around me even in Walmart.

I would say get you one and don't look back, just start thinking of which one to by next.
    Last edited by Rigrat; May 20th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.

i too am interested in this....what are the conversion you all are talking about?
    guns rule

Saigas come into the country as a "sporting rifle" with the FCG moved back, (no pistol grip) Monte Carlo stock and a ten round mag.

Conversion (restoration) is cutting off the imported trigger guard, removing the FCG and putting (in the correct place) American parts and a pistol grip.

Fun simple, easy project guns that are actually quality Russian AK's.

There's more info about these rifles and parts for conversion in Rigrats thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...fun-rifle.html

Most of the conversion parts for saigas are the same for the 5.45, .223, 7.62 and .308.

I recent got a Saiga 12ga which has turned out to be loads of fun. I also got a 10-round mag for it which it turns out I can't use legally because that would put it out of 922r compliance (the maximum detachable mag size for an imported shotgun is 5 rounds). The only solution would be is convert it to a so-called assault weapon configuration using a sufficient number of American parts in the conversion, then I can use any mag of any size.

You probably have the same issue w/ the Saiga 223, but your round limit is probably 10 before you have to deal with 922r. Not legal advice here but a suggestion that you read up on 922r and the Saiga 223.

The irony is that due to the 922r law, people are converting their Saiga's into so-called assault weapon configuration, to be able to use extended mags, when otherwise they may have just left the firearm in the sporting config as imported. So the law is having the opposite effect as intended, it is increasing the number of so-called assault weapons in circulation.
    Last edited by cz2075bd; May 20th, 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: put "so-called" in front of the words "assault weapon"
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    The irony is that due to the 922r law, people are converting their Saiga's into assault weapon configuration, to be able to use extended mags, when otherwise they may have just left the firearm in the sporting config as imported. So the law is having the opposite effect as intended, it is increasing the number of assault weapons in circulation.
    Lots of "Made in USA" parts and vendors are involved in the conversions, that's kind of a good thing.

Thats always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Lots of "Made in USA" parts and vendors are involved in the conversions, that's kind of a good thing.
    Not disputing you on that, but still I don't think the intent of 922r was to boost USA manufacturer's bottom line, it was to reduce the number of assault weapons out there. And in fact people like me are now considering getting conversions to make their sporting-configuration Saiga into an assault weapon just because it's the only way to legally use a hi-cap magazine.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

I know you're not disputing the "good thing".

Still, I think there is a bigger picture, (ie capitalism) even when arms are involved, especially during BANS.

I see the saiga's like this: buy a Russian rifle in the sporting configuration and be happy (total sleeper rifle, very good quality), or let that be part of the cost with American companies making 1/4 cost or more percent per sale. Of course ammo is a choice of foreign surplus or American on most of calibers.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    One of the very best AK platform or "style" rifles made in the orginal AK factory in Russia. They are easily converted back from the imported sporing confegeration to the classic AK style with pistol grip if you so desire as others have mentioned. Very well made and inexpensive rifle. The mags are propriatory to the Saiga rifles in the imported form of the rifle and you cannot use standard AK mags unless you convert the rifle and add a bullet guide. You do need to read and understand the 922r regulations if you want to use hi cap mags. Its BS but you don't want to have an extended stay in Club Fed for not understanding the regs and not playing the parts replacement game.

basic Sporting form as imported

with Tapco Intrafuse T6 stock.....some don't like this easy to install option and it may look a bit ungainly to some but it works really well to be honest and the ergonomic and handling characteristics are good

Converted rifle

922r and Saiga rifles good read
    dinzagarms
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Go to IZHMASH Saiga-12 Shotguns forums and start reading. This is the holy grail of Saiga sites with tons of conversion/tech help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Go to IZHMASH Saiga-12 Shotguns forums and start reading. This is the holy grail of Saiga sites with tons of conversion/tech help.
    +1 a wealth of info there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links