Convert Remington 1100 bird gun into Home Defense gun

This is a discussion on Convert Remington 1100 bird gun into Home Defense gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, first post, so here it goes; I recently acquired a Remington 1100 shotgun with what appears to be a 28' barrel, standard 5 ...

Thread: Convert Remington 1100 bird gun into Home Defense gun

Hi all, first post, so here it goes;

I recently acquired a Remington 1100 shotgun with what appears to be a 28' barrel, standard 5 round, 2 3/4 shell capacity and wood furniture. It had a magazine plug to permit only two rounds, which I've removed.

Given I don't have the money for a new shotgun, I'd like to configure this one for HD use. My main problem was that I couldn't get it to manually cycle (haven't been able to shoot it yet). The round ejected from the magazine would slap against the carrier latch, the bolt would lock back and nothing would happen.

Someone on another forum suggested that I cycle the bolt very quickly, and I have in fact gotten it to chamber rounds this way. HOWEVER, I've seen the video on Youtube in which a Tactical version of this gun is cycled much more slowly, and yet the round still chambers. What am I missing here? Should all 1100's chamber that way? Or is there something in the Tactical version that allows that to be done?

I can't seem to find much information anywhere, but it seems very odd that a gun would need to have the bolt cycled at very high speed in order to chamber a round.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JCPhoenix; May 20th, 2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: addition

Administrator
    Its not odd at all. That is the way they are supposed to be. Now for the conversion; Don't do it. 1100's (especially older ones) are sought after by bird hunters and clay shooters alike; and they will bring good money if they are in decent shape.

Sell the 1100 as is, and buy something more suited to your needs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO is right.... sell the 1100 buy a Mossberg 500 and you'll have plenty of $$ left over for all the mods you need on HD shotgun.

??????????

can you post pics of your 1100
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Sure, although they're not very detailed. I've attached them.
    Attached Images

Yep, don't do it! That looks like a very nice gun.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I may be mistaken but, if I'm interpreting correctly, that's the way the 1100 bolt operates. When you cycle it by hand, it will lock back with the next round from the magazine laying there waiting to be loaded. To complete the cycle, reach underneath and push up on the button on the latch, and the bolt carrier will release and close, loading the round with it.

If you've never fired it, you may want to check the O-ring. Lock back the bolt, remove the magazine cap, slide off the fore-end, then grab the barrel and wiggle it a little while pushing it forward. It should release from the receiver and the part that surrounds the magazine (the gas cylinder) will slide forward. There should be three sliding circular pieces on the magazine tube underneath the barrel ring; the one closest to the end of the magazine should be a rubber o-ring. If it has deteriorated or isn't there, the gun won't cycle when you fire it. The good news is they're cheap and can be found online almost everywhere.

For more on disassembly/reassembly, go here for a manual: page7b

That said, I have an old 1100 that was my Dad's. The barrel code showed the date of manufacture to be 1979. Both the stock and fore-end were cracked and the barrel was the 28 inch plain fixed modified choke. It spent several years with a synthetic camo stock on it. Just recently I decided to turn it into kind of a "Get Off My Porch" gun. Got an ATI buttstock with a pistol grip, a black fore-end, 7 round mag extension, and a 22 inch barrel from Midway.

Here's before and after:
    Attached Images

Hello JC, welcome, sounds to me a good breakdown an cleaning is what is in order.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't think you have a problem. Taking it out and shooting it will confirm.
    I have an 1100 too and the only time it's failed to fire was with a dud shell. They are very reliable if kept clean--just like any other gun.

For HD purposes, look into buying a slug barrel. Or, you may find any other extra barrel for an 1100 (E-Bay, etc) and have it shortened as long as it exceeds 18 inches. I reccommend no less than 20" so there's no change of someone "mis-measuring" it. Mag tube extensions are available also if interested.

That way the shotgun maintains its original configuration. No permanent alteration is needed. That's what I've done with mine.

Would be a good idea to break it down for a thorough cleaning and put in a new set of o-rings.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks for the replies. I've had it completely apart. I've replaced the carrier latch and spring, the O-ring (of course) and the piston parts. I've replaced the magazine spring and the shell latch (was a little rusted at the shell end. It's staying in place without re-staking, but I might do that at a later date. For now it's working fine. Interceptor latch moves well, and the shell stop end appears to be undamaged. It'll feed shell after shell just fine.

I've cleaned the barrel and mag tube. Cleaned the follower, trigger group, bolt and action bar assembly. There was some usage dirt, but most of it was lack of use it seems. The action spring seems strong and smooth, the locking lug looks good and the bolt locks up well. Had the extractor out and it seems fine too, moves well.

The firing pin works fine, spring is in good shape. The bolt buffer has a little wear, but is intact with no splits or cracks. There's a bit of surface rust on the receiver, but I'm guessing a little Hoppes applied gently on a smooth cloth will help with that.

I've nowhere nearby I can take it to try it, but given that it will cycle if I operate the bolt quickly enough, I'm confident it'll shoot just fine.

I'm wondering what I'd get for it if I traded it at a local gun shop. I still need to call Remington and get some info. from the serial number.

Yeah I'm in agreement with some of the others who are recommending that, for HD purposes, you just trade it for a Mossberg 500. You can't go wrong with one of those.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I agree with some others here, don't "bubba up" a perfectly good 1100. You would be better off selling it and just buying or trading for a tactical or HD shotgun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Sponsored Links