Any ARs to avoid?

Any ARs to avoid?

This is a discussion on Any ARs to avoid? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While I'm very familiar with the M16/M4 the Army uses, I've never looked at purchasing the civilian AR version. I am now. I've looked through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ARs to avoid?

Any ARs to avoid?

While I'm very familiar with the M16/M4 the Army uses, I've never looked at purchasing the civilian AR version.

I am now.

I've looked through most of the AR threads in here, and realised nearly everyone has a different recommendation on the best AR to buy.

Clearly, there are allot of good ones out there.

My question: Are there any manufacturers to absolutely avoid? Ones with serious reliability issues, etc?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P15s, because they seem to be reasonably priced and have pretty good reviews (aside from the two threads about them blowing up in here).
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I have the S&W 15a,I wished I would have spent the extra cash for the 15T but oh well and I've not been happy with S&W.
    If I had it to do over, I would build exactly what I want. I think you could end up with a better rifle for the same money if you build it.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I am very pleased with my DPMS. It's a nice shooter and was priced very well.

Not to hijack your thread or anything but there's a specific forum for the ar15... just add a .com to the name and you'll find it...

Just like cars, you'll find people have their favorites but you can't go wrong with the ABC's... Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and sometimes DPMS is included as well...

Stag Arms
    Spike's Tactical
    Larue Tactical

All come highly recommended... if you want one that's already built for you cool... if you're looking to build one yourself, I'd recommend a MEGA brand lower and whatever upper receiver you choose... Rock River Arms make good ones.

Hope this helps, but remember, you're already familiar with the platform and you know what you're looking for... I'm not sure about Alabama but you might be able to own a select fire one as well... as long as it's made prior to like 1986 and you pay the transfer fee to the BATF and tax stamp...

Most AR's either manufactored by the company, or made elsewhere, stamped with comp. logo, and then assembled at the comp. plant are "good" (good being subjective) these days.

An AR that goes bang everytime...is a good one. Like mentioned above...you could go with a self build. Good way to learn the civi AR in & out

AR's to completely avoid would be abused used ones.

I currently own a '05 Olympic Arms K3b. I have a few youtube vids of running my AR.

My next purchase will be a A3 Spike's Tactical model.

Depends on what you're using it for, plinker, varmint, home defense? If it's just a plinker, CMMG bargain bins are decent for the price, be advised they use commercial extension tubes, and loctite the castle nut. Also saw one that had a loose barrel. For a solid defensive AR, I'd look at BCM, Colt, LMT, and Daniel Defense. Spike's Tactical has had some decent reviews, and S&W makes a decent AR too.

I'm a big advocate of building a lower or buying a prebuilt one, then slapping on a BCM upper. If you go with something cheaper from DPMS, RRA, Stag, or a Bushie keep an eye on the gas key and castle nut staking.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Here's the infamous chart, take it with a grain of salt.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

VIP Member
    colt
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

They are all decent IF you take care of them and are not trying to use them for a lot of high volume shooting thats really where the pricier ones start to shine..but if your just looking for a fun range/shooting a NORMAL volume they are all pretty decent.

Its when you start going for extended sessions and hundreds or thousands of rounds like one of those 3 day schools or what ever....thats when you may see a difference.

I do how ever want to make sure I have thats marked/rated for 5.56 one not just one marked .223...

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I am very pleased with my DPMS. It's a nice shooter and was priced very well.
    yup people sometimes bash these but if your just a normal volume shooter and keep it clean and want it just to have fun they are great. Id not hesitate as a civilian to have a DPMS..now if I were going into "combat" id probably go Colt or Lewis Machine or something of that nature. but lets face it being REALISTIC..we aint going into combat lol.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If you are a zombie, a communist, a criminal, a liberal gun grabber or generally a bad guy you should strongly avoid my ARís.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I have the S&W 15a,I wished I would have spent the extra cash for the 15T but oh well and I've not been happy with S&W.
    What issues have you have with the M&P15a? The S&W AR's are generally outstanding values and at the upper side of the AR scale as far as quality and features.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I'd go with the Colt, and avoid any brands with the improperly staked carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    My question: Are there any manufacturers to absolutely avoid? Ones with serious reliability issues, etc?
    Olympic Arms is the one I avoided based on reports of shoddy workmanship and worst customer service. There factory is just down the road from me I prefer to support local business. Your average 2 man auto repair shop is cleaner and better organized.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

It's not so much what to avoid; it's a cost-benefit thing.

If you want to plink, buy a plinker, but don't pay more than $600 for it. You can buy a plinker for $500+ all day long by buying a kit from M1S, J&T, Del-Ton and putting it on a $100 stripped lower. It's so easy to do it's stupid.

If you want a quality fighting gun, buy Spike's or BCM. $800 for a complete Spike's and $900 for a BCM upper on a S&W lower is criminally cheap for a top of the line quality carbine or rifle.

BCM Uppers at G&R Tactical

S&W M&P Complete Lower Receiver at G&R Tactical

If you pay $800 or higher for an RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster, Oly Arms, in my opinion you enjoy peeing your money away. They are simply not distinquishable from the $500-$600 guns I mentioned earlier.

So, its not which guns to avoid, it's how much money you want to spend. IMO, of course.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If it says Vulcan, or Hesse. Avoid like the plauge. They are the Jennings and Raven of ARs.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links