Win 30-30 Tubular Magazine

This is a discussion on Win 30-30 Tubular Magazine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The attached picture is of 200 grain, .35 Rem and 170 grain, 30-30 Win SPCL core lokt bullets. I have a Winchester 94, 30-30 and ...

Thread: Win 30-30 Tubular Magazine

Win 30-30 Tubular Magazine

The attached picture is of 200 grain, .35 Rem and 170 grain, 30-30 Win SPCL core lokt bullets. I have a Winchester 94, 30-30 and a friend has a 35 cal Marlin 336. Ammo that I've used in the past was Winchester "150 grain power-point (S.P.)" flat nose, but these bullets for reloading seem to be in short supply recently. I've just purchased the 170 gr 30-30 core lokt bullets but after reading of concerns about potential tubular magazine explosions I'm reluctant to load and fire the 30-30 rounds because of the hard lead round nose of the Core lokt ammo. We have fired the 35 cal Marlin OK, and that round appears to be a favorite for southeastern hunters, but the radius of the nose, although similar, is much smaller on the 30-30. I realize that I can load two at a time, one in the chamber and one in the magazine, but that defeats the purpose of the tubular magazine. Any experience or thoughts with this 30-30 core lokt round in a tubular magazine would be appreciated.

Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have shot 30-30 for years and I wouldn't hesitate to use those bullets. IMO they are not pointy enough to worry about. They don't look any different than the 170gr factory loads I've used.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks TX-JB. Upon consideration of your advice and further research I found the 170 gr Remington 30-30 Core Lokt that appears identical to the bullets that I bought from Dillon. I now feel much better about use of these rounds. I've been reloading pistol ammo for years and have in the past few months begun rifle; starting with 223 Rem, then .35 Rem for my friend, and now 30-30 for myself. The MidwayUSA link is included below.

Remington Core-Lokt Bullets 30-30 Winchester (308 Diameter) 170 Grain Soft Point - MidwayUSA

Links