Help me choose my first AR

This is a discussion on Help me choose my first AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LMT MRP CQB- $1500 Colt 6920- $1250 Colt 6940- $1350 Above are the 3 guns I am trying to decide between (in order of preference). ...

View Poll Results: Which AR would be best for me?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • LMT MRP CQB

20 58.82%
  • Colt 6920

12 35.29%
  • Colt 6940

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose my first AR

Help me choose my first AR

LMT MRP CQB- $1500
    Colt 6920- $1250
    Colt 6940- $1350

Above are the 3 guns I am trying to decide between (in order of preference). It is important to know that this is my first AR and possibly my last- I donít plan on building a collection. (I was in the Marines though so I know how to use one.) I also donít want to consider other brands/options because I have spent too much time researching this as it isÖ I donít plan on buying a red-dot or other optics. In order of importance here are my requirements:

1-Built for SHTF situations- can take a beating a keep ticking.
    2-Accuracy (I know these arenít built for this but itís still a factor)

Things that donít matter
    1-Price
    2-Resale Value

Things I like about each one:
    LMT
    1-Seems set up for now and the future- if I want to change to 6.8, or piston it is easy
    2-Good sights

Colt 6920
    1-KISS rule applies!
    2-Cheap
    3-Very popular/good reputation

Colt 6940
    Supposed to be very accurate

Things I donít like about each one:
    LMT
    ?

Colt 6920
    1-Not as accurate as the other 2?
    2-Not free floated barrel
    3-No rail to mount grip on

Colt 6940
    1-Fugly!
    2-The sights seem cheap- I would not keep what it comes with but would swap them for more permanent ones. I worry that this would screw it up- even though I would have a gun smith do it. Wouldnít it be better to get one that is sold as I like it?

Conclusion
    So I am strongly leaning toward the LMT unless you can talk me out of it.

Please tell me why I should buy your pick thank you!
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

You seem to have done your homework and prefer the LMT.

I myself went with the 6920 for price and quality. I felt that I got a good return for my dollar, at a price SWMBO would let me live with. I then changed a few things, and set it up for me and my needs.

I won't try to talk you out of the LMT, as it appears to be what you want. I say "go for it" and don't look back.

Biker

I voted the 6920. Less is more in my view. The AR 15 is a light handy rifle but so many are weighted down with the baggage of accessories that they become clumsy. My ancient Colt SP-1 is unadorned with anything saving for a M1907 sling and it is a joy to use. I love open sights and I'm grateful it doesn't have stuff hanging all over it.
    ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I would go with the Colt.

If memory serves me right that particular LMT is a Piston correct?

I'm not sold on the pistons. I think this is the new fad that will eventually go away from the ARs.

If you take a colt and go anywhere in the world, you will always be able to find parts for it. All the piston guns are differen't and most of them use all differn't parts. People say they are more reliable well..........If you add more parts to any machine you have just increased the chance of it breaking even more. If your gas tube on your COLT breaks, melts, is taken over by africanized honeybees looking for home, you simple spend the $5.00 at your local gun show or gunshop and purchase a new gas tube. If your piston breaks or anything doesn't work you are going to have to send it back to the company. Don't get me wrong I think LMT is a great company, I do not think a piston gun is worth the xtra money. I would go with the 6920 use the remaing money left over you would have spent on the LMT and buy, .223 reloading dies, bullets, powder, primers, spare magazines, and an optic.

I thinka free floating a barrel on a tactical gun AR is a waste of money but thats just me.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I just bought my second AR. 1st being a M&P 15-22lr, loads of fun to shoot and cheap ammo. The 2nd a 223 from Spikes Tactical. Haven't fired the 223 yet, but plan to shortly. Attached is a picture with a red-dot an 5x magnifier.
    Attached Images

The LMT I am considering is not the piston version- I agree with your assessment of that platform...
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

It's a shame you're not considering other options. BCM, DD, and Spikes also make rifles to the same standard as colt and cost less.

Here's an interesting tidbit from this article about BCM midlengths:

"Filthy #14 is the most used, and has (as 12-24-09) 28905 rounds down range. The barrel is original. It has never had a brush put through it. -At 16,400 rounds bolt lug cracked. Replaced the bolt carrier group

-At approximately 26,000 rounds fired a 5 shot 50m group that went into 0.5". This might not be that tight at 100 meters.

-At 26,450 rds had 3 failures to extract. Replaced BCG and cleaned gun for the first time

We use only SLip2000 EWL for lube and Slip 2000 725 to clean.

**All of the rounds were fired during class (at the rate of approximately 1,250 rounds every 3 days)**

I do not recommend allowing the gun to go this long without PM (preventive maintenance). However, we wanted to see how far we could take this particular gun (#14) without being burdened by the myth of meticulous cleaning."

You can get a complete BCM middy from G&R tactical for $1005 for the base version, just pay shipping and transfer fee then put on the rear sight of your choice.

You can get the DDM4V3 pictured below for $1299.95 from AIM surplus. It comes with everything pictured and has a CHF barrel which should yield a longer life.

The DDXV pictured below is only $929 from the same site. It also has a CHF barrel.

Spike's has the M4 LE at $799.95 on their site.

I think all of these are better options at the prices listed.

I second BCM.....can't go wrong with LMT.....or BCM.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

From your three options, I'd go with the Colt 6920. Simple, cheapest, and very reliable, well-built platform. Could be worth looking into the options Texag pointed out as well though.

VIP Member
    Any of the three is a fine AR; I doubt you'll really be able to determine any mechanical differences at the operator level. So, get the one you like the best.

And, to do that thing everyone hates when you ask for a choice of three - I'll give you suggestion number 4: Noveske. Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons.
    Noveske is another top tier manufacturer, and this model is very similar to the ones you are looking at, and in the same price range. I absolutely adore mine (though it is a different model); it is just about the best AR I've ever handled in terms of build quality and top of the line features.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The force is strong with this one. Really good choices there.

Whats wrong with a Bushmaster?

I would go with the LMT they are Gas Piston more reliable.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

I say build your own. Quality parts, save money. The AR15 rifle is basically a lego gun. Don't let some people's marketing department get the best of you.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    Whats wrong with a Bushmaster?

I would go with the LMT they are Gas Piston more reliable.
    First, the model the OP is looking at is NOT a gas piston, and this has been pointed out again in the thread.

Second, the gas piston ARs are not necessarily more reliable than the DI ones; this is a point of some serious debate and the issue is far from settled.

Third, there's nothing "wrong" with Bushmaster - I don't see where anyone has mentioned them at all, much less said that there was anything wrong with them...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Second, the gas piston ARs are not necessarily more reliable than the DI ones; this is a point of some serious debate and the issue is far from settled.
    I side with the man who knows more about the weapon than anyone else alive today: C. Reed Knight. He says DI is the way to go. His word is gospel with the AR family.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links