AR-15

AR-15

This is a discussion on AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I understand the 5.56mm NATO is preferrable to the .223, but every gun I look at says .223/ 5.56mm NATO. Is this what I'm looking ...

Thread: AR-15

AR-15

I understand the 5.56mm NATO is preferrable to the .223, but every gun I look at says .223/ 5.56mm NATO. Is this what I'm looking for? Looking to buy my first AR 15 and any advice is appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    If it can shoot 5.56, it can also shoot .223. But if it says it is chambered for
    .223, I would advise not using 5.56 since it can affect reliability of the rifle. They are almost the same except 5.56 has some distinct line marking on the brass and it is more of a NATO military round. I have a Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" semiautomatic M-4 style rifle chambered in 5.56mm. I have already fired over 1600 rds. of both .223 and 5.56 and I have not yet seen any malfunction of any sort. Also make sure to really be familiar on how to disassemble it. It is relatively easy but you have to pay attention to certain points when you disassemble/reassemble it for cleaning/lubing. Also make sure you buy needlenose pliers and a small needle as those are required to disassemble the bolt/bolt carrier/extractor. And it also does not hurt to heavily lube out those parts the night before you shoot or the day you shoot. But I'll tell you this, this is the most enjoyable to shoot out of all the guns I own. not only is it accurate, it's recoil is very small that even a 5 yr. old kid can shoot it.

An AR-15 is gonna be around $800 or more. I bought my RRA for $880. I remember that day I bought that rifle, I also bought 20 magazines, magazine bag, cleaning kit, sling, M-9 bayonet, and hoarded about 500 rds. of .223 ammo. Everyone was looking at me as if I was somebody on a mission or something. Again, good luck on your quest for an AR-15. Besides RRA, there are other quality rifles like Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W M&P, Stag Arms, Sig Arms, Ruger SR 556, etc.

Also once you bought any AR-15, make sure you buy lots of mags and spare parts for it. You never know when our current admin. might reinstate the AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbigredd View Post
    I understand the 5.56mm NATO is preferrable to the .223, but every gun I look at says .223/ 5.56mm NATO. Is this what I'm looking for? Looking to buy my first AR 15 and any advice is appreciated.
    Just to make it more confusing for you, some makers mark their barrels 5.56 but they really have .223 chambers.

How much are you willing to spend on the base rifle, and what do you want it to do?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    read this: :: Ammo Oracle
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The lower priced AR15 usually can only use 223 rounds as we all know .The other big difference was chromed barrel.I would say there's more brands
    that stack up to the big three ABC; Armalite,Bushmaster,Colt.My son-in-law
    purchase one of the lower priced Oly's for around $650 delivered. It wasn't
    bad for the money,it didn't have chromed barrel or have the ability to shoot 556 which has higher neck pressure at where the bullet seats.Anyone who reloads jump in and help out with differences no matter how subtile.556 is nato standard and 223 is USA size.Can't you tell we like to be different?
    But for the average Joe just target shooting is the main thing your going to use
    it for.

Depends on what you want it for.

The difference between 5.56 and .223 cal is slight. The throat and leade on the 5.56 is slightly more generous, to accommodate for higher chamber pressures and extreme use.

Most .223 chamber guns will shoot 5.56mm fine, until you really heat them up, and usually you'll see stuck brass on extraction and popped primers. No one blows up a rifle from shooting 5.56mm in .223 caliber chambers.

ANY .223 chambered gun can be easily reamed out to 5.56 with a Ned Christiansen chamber reamer. It's about a $200 tool, so you don't want to buy one for yourself, but it just drops into the chamber and you turn it until metal quits coming out.

The best accuracy comes from tight chambers. The best reliability comes from loose chambers. It's not a cut and dried thing, really. Some makers have compromise chambers for this reason.

If you want a combat carbine, the best deal for your money is either Spike's Tactical (Google it) for $799, or go to G&R Tactical

Order this upper:

BCM Uppers at G&R Tactical

This lower:

S&W M&P Complete Lower Receiver at G&R Tactical

And this bolt:

BCM M16 Bolt Carrier Group at G&R Tactical

The lower will have to be ordered and shipped separately, to an FFL near you.

This should get you a $900 state of the art, top of the line combat carbine.

BTW, If you want a plinker or a starter gun, I'd go to J&T Arms or Del-Ton and get the cheapest kit you find (should be around $450, complete) put the guts in a stripped lower (usually between $80-$100) and have a nice $550 gun that will be just as good as anything RRA, Bushmaster or any of the other low end assemblers put out.

You don't need $800 to get a starter AR15. And if you're paying $800 for an RRA or Bushmaster, you're paying too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    The lower priced AR15 usually can only use 223 rounds as we all know .The other big difference was chromed barrel.I would say there's more brands
    bad for the money,it didn't have chromed barrel or have the ability to shoot 556 which has higher neck pressure at where the bullet seats.Anyone who reloads jump in and help out with differences no matter how subtile.556 is nato standard and 223 is USA size.Can't you tell we like to be different?
    But for the average Joe just target shooting is the main thing your going to use
    it for.
    Armalite and Bushmaster have serious issues with their QC. They were once "big", but now put out substandard rifles and carbines.

Things that should leap out to you are barrel steel (4140 button rifled is cheap, 4150 is correct and more expensive) and the Bolt and Bolt Carrier Group. (Often poorly or unstaked gas keys).

Otherwise, see my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    it for.
    The LAR-15 is my SHTF last resort gun for massive home invasion during a looting/riot scenario if my 2 handguns and shotgun are not enough to get the job done. Because of the very nature of its main purpose, I buy more accessories for it than any other gun, including massive amounts of ammo and magazines. Although by no means a sniper rifle, it has more range than my other guns. I know most others prefer an AK-47 or any other rifle as their SHTF gun. But again, it's a matter of what I have been trained and comfortable to operate with. The AR-15 is just easier for me to reload and manipulate even w/o looking at or thinking about it.

thanks all

I appreciate all the good advice. I own a few other guns as well, but I'm looking for a serious SHTF piece. I plan to spend around 1000-1200. Only problem is my wife said I have to give her my Remmington 870 first lol. Gotta love a woman who loves guns...

Wanted to ask a question on this thread about chrome lining in AR15 barrels. Im looking at an Armalite M15 on gunbroker. (Local gun store has identical rifle for about the same price) The description of the barrel reads:

Barrel: 16" Chrome Lined\Chrome Moly Vanadium MIL-B-11595-E, with M203 Step Down Barrel, Threaded 1/2x28 and M4 feed ramps

I always thought it was one or the other? What would Chromelined/chrome-moly being together mean?

I would preffer a chrome lined barrel if given a choice, but really dont care if its not.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

JT
    Why not just order the BCM products from the source:

Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    Wanted to ask a question on this thread about chrome lining in AR15 barrels. Im looking at an Armalite M15 on gunbroker. (Local gun store has identical rifle for about the same price) The description of the barrel reads:

Barrel: 16" Chrome Lined\Chrome Moly Vanadium MIL-B-11595-E, with M203 Step Down Barrel, Threaded 1/2x28 and M4 feed ramps

I always thought it was one or the other? What would Chromelined/chrome-moly being together mean?

I would preffer a chrome lined barrel if given a choice, but really dont care if its not.
    It meanse the barrel is made of chrome moly steel, and it is lined with chrome. The vast majority of chrome lined barrels are made of chrome moly.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    It meanse the barrel is made of chrome moly steel, and it is lined with chrome. The vast majority of chrome lined barrels are made of chrome moly.
    Thanks Tex. Im still learning heh heh.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Sponsored Links