Long Range Rifle - Page 2

Long Range Rifle

This is a discussion on Long Range Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For "budget" scopes, I think the Nikons and lower end Leupolds give you a lot of bang for the buck. You can get a solid ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    For "budget" scopes, I think the Nikons and lower end Leupolds give you a lot of bang for the buck. You can get a solid 3-9x (which seems to be the most common choice for "general use") for under $250, if you search around. Your best bet is to research the features that you want re turret knobs, BDCs, reticles, magnification ranges, and so on - that way you can ask more detailed questions (and get correspondingly more detailed answers).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    For "budget" scopes, I think the Nikons and lower end Leupolds give you a lot of bang for the buck. You can get a solid 3-9x (which seems to be the most common choice for "general use") for under $250, if you search around. Your best bet is to research the features that you want re turret knobs, BDCs, reticles, magnification ranges, and so on - that way you can ask more detailed questions (and get correspondingly more detailed answers).
    thanks for the tips.
    I want at least a 12 power max and I like mil dots. I am willing to go up to around 350-400 retail price.

I can't explain it. each gun is different.

I have a Remington 700 VS, in .308, with the action glassed bedded in the stock using Marinetex . Marine Tex, epoxy resin, adhesives, silicone grease, engine treatment, cleaner, repair, bond, fill, seal, fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, Starboard, wood

I am using a Chinese copy of the Leupold 3 X 10 mildot long range scope I purchased off ebay.

The Remington doesn't like 175 HPBT SMK bullets and just barely tolerates the 168 HPBT SMK bullets

I have fired (several witnessed) 3 rd groups, off a bench at 300 yards that measure less the 1 1/2 inches using the 190 Gr Sierra Match King bullets, varget powder and .308 LC Match cased, and several witnessed, 3 rd groups at 400 yards that group measure 2 1/4 inches or under.

For the long range stuff check out the 6.5mm Grendel

Here are some comparisons of the 6.5mm Grendel VS 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, and 7.62x51

Summary of the 6.5 cartidge

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Great info on the 6.5 Wondering if going to a 26" barrel makes much deference between cartrages? would the 6.5 still come out on top? or would the 308 overtake it do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Great info on the 6.5 Wondering if going to a 26" barrel makes much deference between cartrages? would the 6.5 still come out on top? or would the 308 overtake it do you think??
    I imagine the curves on the graph would shift to the right, but remain approx the same.

I recommend doing some research on it yourself though, it's a great round, but I'm no expert
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

How good are the Savage-package scopes? Good and tough enough for typical suburban scenarios, 1,000-meter desert shots being improbable and rare out there in Ohio? Better to just buy a good Savage rifle and then add a better, different, tougher or more expensive scope later? I am going to buy my first ever scoped rifle.

Get a real long range gun a Barrett 99 bolt action single shot in .416 Barrett. Shouldn't put you back more than $4.5K plus glass.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    How good are the Savage-package scopes? Good and tough enough for typical suburban scenarios, 1,000-meter desert shots being improbable and rare out there in Ohio? Better to just buy a good Savage rifle and then add a better, different, tougher or more expensive scope later? I am going to buy my first ever scoped rifle.
    You could spend a little more on the rifle (Savage) and get the 12FV but avoid the poly stock. Spend the extra $90 and get the laminate stock. I have the poly and I had to stiffen it with a steel rod and then glass bed it with Brownells Acra-Glas and weight the butt with tiger hair and lead shot. It turned out great but it was a real chore and a laminate stock would have saved me the trouble. There was an unacceptable amount of flex in the fore end once the bipod was mounted. Holding the comb the amount of distortion in the fore end was very unsettling.

Here are the steps I took:

Now she shoots light's-out! I love this rifle. BTW: It is a Savage 12FV in .204 Ruger. The scope is a Mueller 8-32 with a 30mm tube and a 44mm objective. It was very reasonable. It looks great until you really crank up the power. At 32 power it gets a little milky but for $230 it is very well made, looks great, has a lifetime warranty and is the best glass I found at that price-point. It works perfect for woodchucks out to about 400 yards.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU83244TD

Just a heads up on scopes from what I have seen the hands down best scope for under $250 is the new red fields. they are $150 and they are great!!!!!!!!! My friend is bringing his Rem 700 SPS 26" glass bedded bull barrel 308 over my place next week so I can check it out. He has a VX3 on it don't remember the power..... He claims 8" groups at 1000 yards with his hand loads off his bipod, he isn't one for B.S. so I believe him. Can't wait to shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by D Strokes View Post
    For the long range stuff check out the 6.5mm Grendel

Here are some comparisons of the 6.5mm Grendel VS 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, and 7.62x51

Summary of the 6.5 cartidge

If I was to shoot 308 for 1,000 yards, it sure wouldn't be a 147 grain pill.Be 168 to 175 grain round.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    If I was to shoot 308 for 1,000 yards, it sure wouldn't be a 147 grain pill.Be 168 to 175 grain round.
    I agree. Good work could be done with it too.

I like rifles best and play with quite a few. A simple old pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 standardweight .30-06 with a Leupold 6X scope represents the last word in long range rifles around here.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    My friend uses a 168 hand load. the 147 is just too light wont stay stable at long distances.

I like my Rem. Mdl. 700 BDL 30-06 with a 150 to 165 gn bullet great out to 400 Yards. I keep mine sighted @ 200 Yds. It's a GREAT hunting round ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Downside of CCW and fun with guns: Buying guns that we cannot afford to shoot, which does us little if any good, not getting any or much practice or zeroing-in before we suddenly and without notice have to start defending the 'hood. Thus, the same old ammo questions concerning price, surplus, supplies and availability, regarding rounds that have to be at least good enough at sort of medium or long suburban ranges. I look at prices and supplies before I buy: .308? .223? 30-06? 30-30? 6mm? 7mm? 7x54? 7x39? Any others, my fellow gun brothers and female gun sisters?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links