Long Range Rifle - Page 3

Long Range Rifle

This is a discussion on Long Range Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Cold Warrior Downside of CCW and fun with guns: Buying guns that we cannot afford to shoot, which does us little if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Downside of CCW and fun with guns: Buying guns that we cannot afford to shoot, which does us little if any good, not getting any or much practice or zeroing-in before we suddenly and without notice have to start defending the 'hood. Thus, the same old ammo questions concerning price, surplus, supplies and availability, regarding rounds that have to be at least good enough at sort of medium or long suburban ranges. I look at prices and supplies before I buy: .308? .223? 30-06? 30-30? 6mm? 7mm? 7x54? 7x39? Any others, my fellow gun brothers and female gun sisters?
    Of the calibers you mentioned, I'd look at .223/5.56 and .308/7.62x51(NATO) as the best choices. Good, reliable platforms in a wide range of prices are available for both of these rounds, and ammo is becoming more and more available, with a good amount of surplus out there...and also hunting rounds, as well (which may, in a defensive situation, have better terminal effects than surplus FMJ).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Downside of CCW and fun with guns: Buying guns that we cannot afford to shoot, which does us little if any good, not getting any or much practice or zeroing-in before we suddenly and without notice have to start defending the 'hood. Thus, the same old ammo questions concerning price, surplus, supplies and availability, regarding rounds that have to be at least good enough at sort of medium or long suburban ranges. I look at prices and supplies before I buy: .308? .223? 30-06? 30-30? 6mm? 7mm? 7x54? 7x39? Any others, my fellow gun brothers and female gun sisters?
    That's why I reload and reload alot. Also train alot.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have my 7mmWSM and am building another Long range gun but when it comes to defense and ammo if I ever need to protect the fort I say buy an AK 7.62X39 and a few thousand rounds. See Its fun to build the cool stuff, but in the end if I get one gun I gotta go with the most proven gun in history the AK. Plus ammo is CHEAP and plentiful. is it worthless over 300 yards.......Yep can it keep 1" groups out past 100 yards.....Probably not. But it goes bang no matter what and that is the most important of all the factors.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    I like my Rem. Mdl. 700 BDL 30-06 with a 150 to 165 gn bullet great out to 400 Yards. I keep mine sighted @ 200 Yds. It's a GREAT hunting round ; )
    H/D
    Great set up right there! Nothing wrong with the good ole 30-06!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Ok while at work today I have been researching my next rifle. And I now have more questions.
    1. how important do you all feel a bull or heavy barrel is?
    2. synthetic VS wood/laminate
    3. semi or bolt?

I have so many ideas I just can't decide. I am not in a hurry being that I have my 7mm WSM basically finished. It isn't what I want but keeps me entertained. I have 3 different rifles I keep coming back too. Savage 116 300RUM 26" standard weight barrel, Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 with a 26" heavy barrel, and DPMS 308 with the 24" heavy barrel. I can't pic. I am open to other Ideas too. I would love a Laupua but they are out of my price range and Ammo is CRAZY exspensive.
    If you are going to stick with the 7mm then use the www.Lost River Ballistics bullets! they have about the highest B.C. of any out there. Most do use a .30 caliber of one sort or another but I myself am building one based off a 9.3 mm which is .366. It all depends on the purpose of the rifle ie hunting target shooting. would recommend either Rock Creek or Pac-Nor barrels.
    to get the most out of it weight wach case empty and group same weights together, its a game of likeness. I like semi for follow up shots but for accuracy its a bolt gun. Laminate feels good to me. DON'T PUT A CHEAP SCOPE on it ! You don't have to spendthae same or more on it unless it works for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links