Defensive Carry banner

Long Range Rifle

5K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Harleycolt 
#1 ·
I started a long range rifle and I am just not sure if I like it. Thinking about starting a new one. I didn't intend on putting together a 1000 yard gun with the rifle I had but started anyway. I have a Winchester mod 70 7mm WSM 24" standard weight barrell and I am thinking about ditching it and grabbing a Rem 700 SPS in 308 with the 26" heavy barrell. Just looking for some info on the "perfect" 1000 yard gun without going to crazy.

#2 ·
I haven't shot one, but I don't get the idea of the "short magnum" line. Cutting back on space and powder doesn't make a magnum to me.

I don't consider the .308 a great long-range round. Good, but not great. One problem with the .308 is its short neck. Heavier bullets (165 grn+) are so long they are pushed further back into the cartridge, thus limiting the amount of powder. there are many others with better ballistics. Not spelled right, but .338 Lupura (?) would be a much better choice for 1000 yds (and beyond). .300 Win. Mag would be good.

#4 ·
WSM cartridge is fatter than a standard; still plenty of space for the powder. They work quite well, actually. Got a buddy with a .300 WSM that's plunked out a 1-7/8", 400yd group (custom built M70 shooting a 168gr Barnes TSX in Norma brass; over how much of what, I don't know). It'll hold it's own vs .300WM...and 7mm WSM wil hold it's own vs 7mm RM.

That 7mm WSM will work for a long-range cartridge, but if you're serious, you may want to look into 6.5x284, 6.5 Creedmore...at least rebarrel with a match grade, heavy weight barrel, and look into a McMillan or HS Precision stock.

#7 ·
I too like the .338 LM. It combines high accuracy, long range and heavy grain weights into a manageable package. I think that competition shooters would be well served at both 600 and 1000 yards. For distances up to 600 yards I like the 6mm Norma BR. And for woodchuck engagements out to about 450 yards the .204 Ruger is hard to beat.

#5 ·
Cuda's right, the 7mm WSM makes a fine LR cartridge, especially pushing the bigger Berger bullets. A match grade barrel of decent size and a better stock are definitely required for the utmost accuracy, along with bedding the action in the stock and having the action blueprinted. Check out this article on some 7WSM long range rifles, you'll see the true potential of this caliber

7mm WSM -- High-Country Hunter

#6 ·
Great artical on the 7mm WSM. I also have a savage 300 RUM with a 26" barrell. Anyone think I should make the 7mm WSM the hunter and the 300 ultramag the Long range? I haven't got a scope for the ultra mag yet any suggestions?

#8 ·
Ok while at work today I have been researching my next rifle. And I now have more questions.
1. how important do you all feel a bull or heavy barrel is?
2. synthetic VS wood/laminate
3. semi or bolt?

I have so many ideas I just can't decide. I am not in a hurry being that I have my 7mm WSM basically finished. It isn't what I want but keeps me entertained. I have 3 different rifles I keep coming back too. Savage 116 300RUM 26" standard weight barrel, Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 with a 26" heavy barrel, and DPMS 308 with the 24" heavy barrel. I can't pic. I am open to other Ideas too. I would love a Laupua but they are out of my price range and Ammo is CRAZY exspensive.

#35 ·
If you are going to stick with the 7mm then use the www.Lost River Ballistics bullets! they have about the highest B.C. of any out there. Most do use a .30 caliber of one sort or another but I myself am building one based off a 9.3 mm which is .366. It all depends on the purpose of the rifle ie hunting target shooting. would recommend either Rock Creek or Pac-Nor barrels.
to get the most out of it weight wach case empty and group same weights together, its a game of likeness. I like semi for follow up shots but for accuracy its a bolt gun. Laminate feels good to me. DON'T PUT A CHEAP SCOPE on it ! You don't have to spendthae same or more on it unless it works for you.

#10 ·
I am not an expert, but here goes my diagnosis:

1. Bull barrel, reduction of harmonic vibration (I think?) better accuracy

2. Synthetic or wood? Synthetic is lighter, wood is prettier. Is it a bugout rifle or
benchrest type?

3. Bolt action. More available, reputation for accuracy

I guess the question is; what function is this rifle going to perform? Is it going to have a practical job? Or is it just a fun project?

#11 ·
The gun is for fun until the world deems it be used for my safety. If my savage was a bull barrel I wouldn't have any issues or if I could get a 300 ultramag in a heavy barrel I would. I am not against the 308 I just enjoy my over kill. I am a fairly in exsperienced rifle shooter so am I just being anal over the barrel? any chance I will be able to out shoot the barrel?

#12 ·
1) There are all sorts of opinions on this - fluted, "traditional" bull, what length, etc. I am of the opinion that there are any number of good options - as long as you get high quality from a good manufacturer, the differences (if any) are beyond my abilities as a shooter to notice.

2) For truly accurate rifles, I prefer synthetic. Yeah, they aren't as pretty, but they are immune (basically) to temperature changes, moisture, and so on, making them more "repeatable." And, of course, consistency is key to accuracy...

3) I believe that the top-tier semi-autos have really narrowed the gap with the bolt guns in the last decade or so. That said, for a hunting/fun rifle with no real need for "faster" follow up shots or rapid magazine changes, I don't think you're gaining much with a semi-auto. If you do ever foresee yourself operating as part of a partisan sniper team when the Russkies have taken over Colorado (and can you believe they're re-making Red Dawn?), then you might reconsider. :wink:

#14 ·
I agree, the Accutrigger is AMAZING! The "Match" Accutrigger in the 12 LRPV rifles is even better if you can imagine that. The Match AccuTrigger is able to be dialed down to 11 ounces. It is so smooth that it almost feels like an electronic ignition of the round.

#15 ·
while I think on all these great ideas on which rifle what kinda scope is the norm or perfered? I don't want to break the bank but I wont buy cheap glass either.

#16 ·
For "budget" scopes, I think the Nikons and lower end Leupolds give you a lot of bang for the buck. You can get a solid 3-9x (which seems to be the most common choice for "general use") for under $250, if you search around. Your best bet is to research the features that you want re turret knobs, BDCs, reticles, magnification ranges, and so on - that way you can ask more detailed questions (and get correspondingly more detailed answers).

#18 ·
I can't explain it. each gun is different.

I have a Remington 700 VS, in .308, with the action glassed bedded in the stock using Marinetex . Marine Tex, epoxy resin, adhesives, silicone grease, engine treatment, cleaner, repair, bond, fill, seal, fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, Starboard, wood

I am using a Chinese copy of the Leupold 3 X 10 mildot long range scope I purchased off ebay.

The Remington doesn't like 175 HPBT SMK bullets and just barely tolerates the 168 HPBT SMK bullets

I have fired (several witnessed) 3 rd groups, off a bench at 300 yards that measure less the 1 1/2 inches using the 190 Gr Sierra Match King bullets, varget powder and .308 LC Match cased, and several witnessed, 3 rd groups at 400 yards that group measure 2 1/4 inches or under.

#20 ·
Great info on the 6.5 Wondering if going to a 26" barrel makes much deference between cartrages? would the 6.5 still come out on top? or would the 308 overtake it do you think??

#21 ·
I imagine the curves on the graph would shift to the right, but remain approx the same.

I recommend doing some research on it yourself though, it's a great round, but I'm no expert :bier:

#22 ·
How good are the Savage-package scopes? Good and tough enough for typical suburban scenarios, 1,000-meter desert shots being improbable and rare out there in Ohio? Better to just buy a good Savage rifle and then add a better, different, tougher or more expensive scope later? I am going to buy my first ever scoped rifle.

#24 ·
You could spend a little more on the rifle (Savage) and get the 12FV but avoid the poly stock. Spend the extra $90 and get the laminate stock. I have the poly and I had to stiffen it with a steel rod and then glass bed it with Brownells Acra-Glas and weight the butt with tiger hair and lead shot. It turned out great but it was a real chore and a laminate stock would have saved me the trouble. There was an unacceptable amount of flex in the fore end once the bipod was mounted. Holding the comb the amount of distortion in the fore end was very unsettling.

Here are the steps I took:

Now she shoots light's-out! I love this rifle. BTW: It is a Savage 12FV in .204 Ruger. The scope is a Mueller 8-32 with a 30mm tube and a 44mm objective. It was very reasonable. It looks great until you really crank up the power. At 32 power it gets a little milky but for $230 it is very well made, looks great, has a lifetime warranty and is the best glass I found at that price-point. It works perfect for woodchucks out to about 400 yards.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU83244TD

#23 ·
Get a real long range gun a Barrett 99 bolt action single shot in .416 Barrett. Shouldn't put you back more than $4.5K plus glass.:rofl:

#25 ·
Just a heads up on scopes from what I have seen the hands down best scope for under $250 is the new red fields. they are $150 and they are great!!!!!!!!! My friend is bringing his Rem 700 SPS 26" glass bedded bull barrel 308 over my place next week so I can check it out. He has a VX3 on it don't remember the power..... He claims 8" groups at 1000 yards with his hand loads off his bipod, he isn't one for B.S. so I believe him. Can't wait to shoot it!

#30 ·
Downside of CCW and fun with guns: Buying guns that we cannot afford to shoot, which does us little if any good, not getting any or much practice or zeroing-in before we suddenly and without notice have to start defending the 'hood. Thus, the same old ammo questions concerning price, surplus, supplies and availability, regarding rounds that have to be at least good enough at sort of medium or long suburban ranges. I look at prices and supplies before I buy: .308? .223? 30-06? 30-30? 6mm? 7mm? 7x54? 7x39? Any others, my fellow gun brothers and female gun sisters?

#31 ·
Of the calibers you mentioned, I'd look at .223/5.56 and .308/7.62x51(NATO) as the best choices. Good, reliable platforms in a wide range of prices are available for both of these rounds, and ammo is becoming more and more available, with a good amount of surplus out there...and also hunting rounds, as well (which may, in a defensive situation, have better terminal effects than surplus FMJ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.