Long Range Rifle

Long Range Rifle

This is a discussion on Long Range Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started a long range rifle and I am just not sure if I like it. Thinking about starting a new one. I didn't intend ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Range Rifle

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Long Range Rifle

I started a long range rifle and I am just not sure if I like it. Thinking about starting a new one. I didn't intend on putting together a 1000 yard gun with the rifle I had but started anyway. I have a Winchester mod 70 7mm WSM 24" standard weight barrell and I am thinking about ditching it and grabbing a Rem 700 SPS in 308 with the 26" heavy barrell. Just looking for some info on the "perfect" 1000 yard gun without going to crazy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't shot one, but I don't get the idea of the "short magnum" line. Cutting back on space and powder doesn't make a magnum to me.

I don't consider the .308 a great long-range round. Good, but not great. One problem with the .308 is its short neck. Heavier bullets (165 grn+) are so long they are pushed further back into the cartridge, thus limiting the amount of powder. there are many others with better ballistics. Not spelled right, but .338 Lupura (?) would be a much better choice for 1000 yds (and beyond). .300 Win. Mag would be good.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I haven't shot one, but I don't get the idea of the "short magnum" line. Cutting back on space and powder doesn't make a magnum to me.

I don't consider the .308 a great long-range round. Good, but not great. One problem with the .308 is its short neck. Heavier bullets (165 grn+) are so long they are pushed further back into the cartridge, thus limiting the amount of powder. there are many others with better ballistics. Not spelled right, but .338 Lupura (?) would be a much better choice for 1000 yds (and beyond). .300 Win. Mag would be good.
    WSM cartridge is fatter than a standard; still plenty of space for the powder. They work quite well, actually. Got a buddy with a .300 WSM that's plunked out a 1-7/8", 400yd group (custom built M70 shooting a 168gr Barnes TSX in Norma brass; over how much of what, I don't know). It'll hold it's own vs .300WM...and 7mm WSM wil hold it's own vs 7mm RM.

That 7mm WSM will work for a long-range cartridge, but if you're serious, you may want to look into 6.5x284, 6.5 Creedmore...at least rebarrel with a match grade, heavy weight barrel, and look into a McMillan or HS Precision stock.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Cuda's right, the 7mm WSM makes a fine LR cartridge, especially pushing the bigger Berger bullets. A match grade barrel of decent size and a better stock are definitely required for the utmost accuracy, along with bedding the action in the stock and having the action blueprinted. Check out this article on some 7WSM long range rifles, you'll see the true potential of this caliber

7mm WSM -- High-Country Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by jgilbert View Post
    Cuda's right, the 7mm WSM makes a fine LR cartridge, especially pushing the bigger Berger bullets. A match grade barrel of decent size and a better stock are definitely required for the utmost accuracy, along with bedding the action in the stock and having the action blueprinted. Check out this article on some 7WSM long range rifles, you'll see the true potential of this caliber

7mm WSM -- High-Country Hunter
    Great artical on the 7mm WSM. I also have a savage 300 RUM with a 26" barrell. Anyone think I should make the 7mm WSM the hunter and the 300 ultramag the Long range? I haven't got a scope for the ultra mag yet any suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I too like the .338 LM. It combines high accuracy, long range and heavy grain weights into a manageable package. I think that competition shooters would be well served at both 600 and 1000 yards. For distances up to 600 yards I like the 6mm Norma BR. And for woodchuck engagements out to about 450 yards the .204 Ruger is hard to beat.

Ok while at work today I have been researching my next rifle. And I now have more questions.
    1. how important do you all feel a bull or heavy barrel is?
    2. synthetic VS wood/laminate
    3. semi or bolt?

I have so many ideas I just can't decide. I am not in a hurry being that I have my 7mm WSM basically finished. It isn't what I want but keeps me entertained. I have 3 different rifles I keep coming back too. Savage 116 300RUM 26" standard weight barrel, Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 with a 26" heavy barrel, and DPMS 308 with the 24" heavy barrel. I can't pic. I am open to other Ideas too. I would love a Laupua but they are out of my price range and Ammo is CRAZY exspensive.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I have only ever heard good things about savage rifles. Especially the ones with the accutrigger setups.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I am not an expert, but here goes my diagnosis:

1. Bull barrel, reduction of harmonic vibration (I think?) better accuracy

2. Synthetic or wood? Synthetic is lighter, wood is prettier. Is it a bugout rifle or
    benchrest type?

3. Bolt action. More available, reputation for accuracy

I guess the question is; what function is this rifle going to perform? Is it going to have a practical job? Or is it just a fun project?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I am not an expert, but here goes my diagnosis:

1. Bull barrel, reduction of harmonic vibration (I think?) better accuracy

2. Synthetic or wood? Synthetic is lighter, wood is prettier. Is it a bugout rifle or
    benchrest type?

3. Bolt action. More available, reputation for accuracy

I guess the question is; what function is this rifle going to perform? Is it going to have a practical job? Or is it just a fun project?
    The gun is for fun until the world deems it be used for my safety. If my savage was a bull barrel I wouldn't have any issues or if I could get a 300 ultramag in a heavy barrel I would. I am not against the 308 I just enjoy my over kill. I am a fairly in exsperienced rifle shooter so am I just being anal over the barrel? any chance I will be able to out shoot the barrel?

VIP Member
    1) There are all sorts of opinions on this - fluted, "traditional" bull, what length, etc. I am of the opinion that there are any number of good options - as long as you get high quality from a good manufacturer, the differences (if any) are beyond my abilities as a shooter to notice.

2) For truly accurate rifles, I prefer synthetic. Yeah, they aren't as pretty, but they are immune (basically) to temperature changes, moisture, and so on, making them more "repeatable." And, of course, consistency is key to accuracy...

3) I believe that the top-tier semi-autos have really narrowed the gap with the bolt guns in the last decade or so. That said, for a hunting/fun rifle with no real need for "faster" follow up shots or rapid magazine changes, I don't think you're gaining much with a semi-auto. If you do ever foresee yourself operating as part of a partisan sniper team when the Russkies have taken over Colorado (and can you believe they're re-making Red Dawn?), then you might reconsider.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

FWIW I have a Savage .308 with an accutrigger and it is AMAZING. I tried a lot of other rifles before buying my savage and the trigger alone sold me, and I will continue buying savage for that trigger (the whole rifle is good but that trigger........).

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    FWIW I have a Savage .308 with an accutrigger and it is AMAZING. I tried a lot of other rifles before buying my savage and the trigger alone sold me, and I will continue buying savage for that trigger (the whole rifle is good but that trigger........).
    I agree, the Accutrigger is AMAZING! The "Match" Accutrigger in the 12 LRPV rifles is even better if you can imagine that. The Match AccuTrigger is able to be dialed down to 11 ounces. It is so smooth that it almost feels like an electronic ignition of the round.

while I think on all these great ideas on which rifle what kinda scope is the norm or perfered? I don't want to break the bank but I wont buy cheap glass either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links