Traded mt PT145 for...

Traded mt PT145 for...

This is a discussion on Traded mt PT145 for... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remington 870 Express Magnum 24 Inch shot barrel 20 Inch Slug barrel with rail and Simons 4x32 SG Pro diamond Gun is in great shape ...

Thread: Traded mt PT145 for...

Traded mt PT145 for...

Remington 870 Express Magnum
    24 Inch shot barrel
    20 Inch Slug barrel with rail and Simons 4x32 SG Pro diamond

Gun is in great shape and quite possibly never fired!
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Good buy really.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Good show
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm going to see if I can trade one (or both) of the barrels for a 18 inch rifled.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

That is a nice shotgun. Glad you've gotten something you're happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm going to see if I can trade one (or both) of the barrels for a 18 inch rifled.

Why rifled? Are you planning on having a dedicated sabot slug gun?

(By rifled, I assume you mean rifled bore)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Why rifled? Are you planning on having a dedicated sabot slug gun?

(By rifled, I assume you mean rifled bore)
    Although my primary load fired out of this gun will be buck shot I would like the ability to shoot sabots and regular slugs. I was told (Maybe incorrectly, I know very little about shot guns) that you could fire anything out of a rifled barrel but you cant fire slugs out of a non rifled barrel. Is that incorrect?

I have put quite a few slugs threw my BPS with a regular 26" barrel with no issues. I believe that you will probably pick up some accuracy with the rifled barrel.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Pretty sure you have that backwards.

Rifling causes a great deal of "doughnuting" on buckshot. You can also fire slugs out of a smooth barrel, but will get the best results out of rifled slugs.

Get a foster's style slugs and you can even fire them out of choked barrels.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Although my primary load fired out of this gun will be buck shot I would like the ability to shoot sabots and regular slugs. I was told (Maybe incorrectly, I know very little about shot guns) that you could fire anything out of a rifled barrel but you cant fire slugs out of a non rifled barrel. Is that incorrect?
    You have it backwards.

Rifled shotgun barrels are pretty much for sabot slugs only. You can also fire regular slugs through them, but any type of shot will pattern abysmally...usually throwing a "donut" pattern.

Smoothbore barrels can shoot anything--birdshot, buckshot and slugs (except, well, sabots--they can still fire them, but they won't be spin stabilized, and will have poor accuracy).

FWIW, I'd be willing to bet that that scoped barrel you have is rifled...but what you want (judging from what you've said) is an 18", smoothbore, cylinder/improved cylinder choke barrel.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    You have it backwards.

Rifled shotgun barrels are pretty much for sabot slugs only. You can also fire regular slugs through them, but any type of shot will pattern abysmally...usually throwing a "donut" pattern.

Smoothbore barrels can shoot anything--birdshot, buckshot and slugs (except, well, sabots--they can still fire them, but they won't be spin stabilized, and will have poor accuracy).

FWIW, I'd be willing to bet that that scoped barrel you have is rifled...but what you want (judging from what you've said) is an 18", smoothbore, cylinder/improved cylinder choke barrel.
    Thanks for the info! Yes, my scoped barrel is the rifled one. That's the one that I don't really need. I'll probably have my 26 inch smore bore cut down and just use. Maybe I can trade my rifled one for some ammo or reloading gear or something :)

Links