Big Fun - Marlin 1894C

This is a discussion on Big Fun - Marlin 1894C within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I decided to have some fun today, so I took my Marlin Cowboy to the range. It is the 1894C in .357 . Big fun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Fun - Marlin 1894C

VIP Member

Talking Big Fun - Marlin 1894C

I decided to have some fun today, so I took my Marlin Cowboy to the range. It is the 1894C in .357 .

Big fun. I set out targets at 50 yards, loaded up with Federal 38+P, and had at it with the semi-buckhorn sights. This was
    from sitting and standing. Half are in the diamond, and half are to the left of the diamond.

My best shot string of the day was this
    one, with 2 inside the diamond, and 2 just to the left of the diamond.

The target pictures are small, all I had with me was the camera phone. The 1894 makes a fine defensive rifle as well as a fun shooter. Marlin lever guns = big fun.

I picked up a used Marlin 336 in .30-30 yesterday, date of manufacture around 1998, for less than $300. I've never owned a .30-30 or shot one before. I bought a box of shells, and only made it thru about 6 rounds. My jaw and teeth can only take so much shock. Kicks much worse than my .308. How does anyone stand to shoot one of these?

2. Remove Ads

Cool, I have one on order right now. Just waiting for it to arrive.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

The 30-30 is a woods gun. It gets carried a lot more than it gets shot. BTW, that .357 with 158 Grain Soft Points will do practically anything the 30-30 will do. Yes, it is an excellent self defense, plinking and small/medium game rifle within it's limits.

lever actions are so cool...

I'm gonna remove the scope from mine,
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Having a lever action is a must...nice rifle you have there.

I have the Marlin 336SS in 30-30.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice rifle. There's something about the lever-gun, it's as American as apple pie...

I've got the same gun and I LOVE it. It's a versatile gun (.357 or .38) with lots of practical uses (HD, hunting small, medium, and large game; target) and more fun to shoot than a person should be allowed to have. I have several .38 and .357 handguns, so I don't have to stock another caliber. My pre-loaded speed strips in .38 or .357 will work in it just fine. For a good HD set-up, a Ruger SP101 .357 with a couple speed strips and this rifle and you're set.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've got the same gun and I LOVE it. It's a versatile gun (.357 or .38) with lots of practical uses (HD, hunting small, medium, and large game; target) and more fun to shoot than a person should be allowed to have. I have several .38 and .357 handguns, so I don't have to stock another caliber. My pre-loaded speed strips in .38 or .357 will work in it just fine. For a good HD set-up, a Ruger SP101 .357 with a couple speed strips and this rifle and you're set.
    BugDude,
    you are really making me want one of these guns! Do you know what kind of velocities you get with .357 out of these rifles?

Enough that with a 158gr JSP from 50 yards I put indentions in my steel plate spinner target...and they're thick plates. I'll look around google to see if I can find some numbers.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Enough that with a 158gr JSP from 50 yards I put indentions in my steel plate spinner target...and they're thick plates. I'll look around google to see if I can find some numbers.
    Check out the possiblities at Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business. Wow!

I've got 3 lever actions a 336, an 1894c like yours, and a henry .22. It's a toss up for which is more fun, the 1894 or the Henry. But they certainly are handy little rifles to have around.

Pair it up with a SAA clone in .357
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

last time i checked the .308 win kicks alot harder then the 30-30 win.

i have a Winchester model 94AE in 30-30 win it kicks like a puppy dog.

Try a .300 winchester magnum without the muzzle brake then thats something that rattles teeth!
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

VIP Member
    I know what you mean, there is just something plain old fun about lever guns, more so than any other rifle, except maybe a black powder.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    last time i checked the .308 win kicks alot harder then the 30-30 win.

i have a Winchester model 94AE in 30-30 win it kicks like a puppy dog.

Try a .300 winchester magnum without the muzzle brake then thats something that rattles teeth!
    All I can say is my Model Seven does not beat me up. Maybe I did not have a good cheek weld on the 336. I'll have to give it another try and see.

they made one 1894 in 44mag. it has capacity of 6 rnds and really rocks your socks. i found one in 1977. one guy purchased it to go deer hunting in La. he finally ended up coming back with a squirral tail. he was coming back emplty handed, saw one run across telephone wire. he shot it all came down was fur. he sold it for less 50 dollars. i have shot it several times. it is a good one shot home defense gun(joke it does not kill you, the sound will scare u to death)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links