Sling attachment on my 870

This is a discussion on Sling attachment on my 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a little problem with my 870. I wish to put a sling on it but there are no swivel studs except I found ...

Thread: Sling attachment on my 870

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Sling attachment on my 870

I have a little problem with my 870. I wish to put a sling on it but there are no swivel studs except I found an old magazine tube cap I have that has a swivel stud on it. I put it on but that still leaves me with finding a place for the rear. I do not want to drill into the wood stock for a sling swivel stud, nor do I want to increase the length of pull by putting on one of them sling mounts that go between the receiver and butt stock.

Any ideas?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There are some slings that have a loop that fits around the stock. But me, I'd drill the stock and put in swivel screw. It's not like ti would be the first 870 to have a sling screw.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

How about an after market stock?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

IMO...find the barrel clamp that goes around the barrel and magazine tube with swivel for the front (Brownells has them and you can find them other places as well, even on EBay) if you have the extended mag tube. Otherwise, you'll want the swivel cap (which can be found on EBay as well). As far as the rear....don't be afraid to anchor your own stud in your stock. Most studs available are standard size, and you just drill deep enough to start with a bit generally two sizes under the thread diameter. As far as finding the perfect spot to drill, that's pretty much up to you, and you could make a jig to find that best spot if you're up to it. You can do it. I just have to have a way of mounting a sling on my shotguns.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Why are you afraid to mount the stud in the rear stock? Just pre-drill and screw in. Easy as pie and will nor split or othewise damage the wood stock.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I would prefer to be able to mount the sling without doing any drilling, especially on a narrow piece of wood like a stock. I'm just not comfortable with drilling into things, because if I make a hole and its not where I want it, I'd wind up with a bunch of holes in the bottom of the stock. I don't feel like paying a gun smith to do it for me either.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I use this shell holder and it has a sling attachment...great products
    Shotgun Buttstock Shell Holders
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links