anyone have experience with a loose forend on a mossberg 930 SPX?

This is a discussion on anyone have experience with a loose forend on a mossberg 930 SPX? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; recently got a 930 SPX after looking around for one for quite a while. It doesnt have any of the major problems that some of ...

Thread: anyone have experience with a loose forend on a mossberg 930 SPX?

anyone have experience with a loose forend on a mossberg 930 SPX?

recently got a 930 SPX after looking around for one for quite a while. It doesnt have any of the major problems that some of them were shipped with (canted front sight, stripped screws holding the rail on) but the forend on it is kind of loose. I can move the rear part of it up and down about an eighth of an inch which is annoying.
    Anyone have any experience with this or how to fix it?

2. Remove Ads

You know....even as a gunsmith, I have more experience with the pump actions over the autos, and the autos I'm more familiar with are the Remington. From what I've researched in a short time on the internet, this may be an inherent issue. I dislike annoying things with any of my firearms, and I can honestly say none of mine have any quirks. I know the mechanics involved, and if we had it here in the shop, I'm sure we could get to the bottom of things post haste. I'll leave you with the best link I found on the subject and you can go from there. Best of luck to you with your shotgun.
    The forend is a little loose on some guns. I added a 590 sling plate to mine and drilled a small hole in the plastic forend for the detent ball and that tightened it up and provided a good sling attachment.
    The link: Mossberg 930spx - Glock Talk

VIP Member
    Are you just talking about the plastic piece? The metal isn't moving is it?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

thank you very much for that link ramrod, seems like adding a sling plate should tighten it up i suppose. kind of annoying that i have to buy another part to make it do something that it should be doing from the factory anyway..

and yeah timmy its just the plastic forend itself. i took the mag tube off earlier today to take off the forend and get a closer look at it and see if anything was maybe cracked or broken but everything looked normal to me. reinstalled it and tightened everything down again and it was still as loose as it was before

update:

i got in touch with mossberg customer service and they offered to send a pre-paid shipping label so i could send the gun in to them and they would have a gun tech look at it "to see if this was normal"

a part of me wouldnt mind taking them up on this offer but i would hate to go through the hassle of sending it in and having them send it back a few weeks later saying it was "normal". not to mention who knows how long they would have it and i would be without my new shotgun!

Well, you know....it might not hurt to send it back to Mossberg to see if it's normal or not. Your shotgun will get special assessment rather than someone function checking it off an assembly line. A personal aspect if you will. If that person thinks that they wouldn't like the shotgun the way it is, they may just find one that's a bit tighter and send you another. On the other hand, who's to say it won't loosen after use. I say it's a toss up on the deal. End story, you need to be happy with your shotgun without question. Being without your shotgun while it's sent back for inspection is, well, being without your shotgun. Years ago, I had problems sighting in a new Bushmaster carbine. Figure I wasted at least 50 rounds until I called it quits. Called their customer service, and after they knew I knew what I was doing attempting to sight it in, sent UPS out the next day to pick up the upper half. Three weeks later, I got it back with an apologetic letter stating that the front sight post was canted. They didn't reimburse me for my spent ammo, but I was in high cotton once I put her back together and shot dime size groups at 25yd sight in with little adjustments.
    A lot of times it does pay to research what you intend to buy...especially on the forums because someone, somewhere has had experience with it more than likely. But there goes the waiting game again waiting for some input. Also, some are more inclined to fix it themselves if possible. This can unfortunately end up in two different ways depending on the tools needed, and the knowledge. Nobody needs a rigged firearm, and if it's under warranty, I'd still say give the factory a second chance. Hunting the correct parts or the best tools to do a specific job can be a nightmare in itself for the regular gun owner. A firearm is just like any other product....the consumer wants out of it what they paid for it and doesn't buy it expecting something sub-par or something they need to fix right away, or with nuances, nor through normal use and maintenance. Sometimes the world just doesn't work the way it should and we have hassles. Looking on the bright side, it's going to be an experience for you. An experience to learn from. Learning is always good. Next time, you'll be better prepared, and hopefully you'll share what you've learned with others and give your first hand experience and advise. Personally, I'm interested to know how this one's going to turn out with the decisions you make. I've learned quite a bit myself from this thread just researching and wanting to give you an answer to your dilemma. I sincerely hope everything works out for you and your shotgun and in short order. You have a wide network of support no matter what.

well i did do research on this model before i bought it and thats how i knew to look for all the other things that could be wrong with it that were major malfunctions to the point that it wouldnt work right.

anyway, i asked the person at mossberg to just send me a replacement forend and i will install that and see if that solves the problem. if it doesnt, maybe i will take them up on their offer to send the whole thing in.

Links