Which EOTech?

This is a discussion on Which EOTech? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a Beretta Cx4 chambered in 9mm, it serves a dual role as both a plinker and my HD weapon. But, well to be ...

Thread: Which EOTech?

Which EOTech?

I've got a Beretta Cx4 chambered in 9mm, it serves a dual role as both a plinker and my HD weapon. But, well to be honest, the sights suck in low light, and since I've always wanted one, I figure this is the perfect excuse for me to get myself an EOTech holographic sight.

I've been leaning towards the 517 since I like the idea of the controls being on the side in case I decide to put a magnifier behind it. But to be 100% honest, I'm not sure if I ever would bother with a magnifier.
    But if I do....

So I'm looking for input for people who have an EOTech on a weapon they use for both HD and for fun. Any suggestions?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

2. Remove Ads

HD=aimpoint

Always on.

Ditto on the Aimpoint... Micro H-1 gets you big performance in a small package.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've looked into the Aimpoint, and for me the only advantages that I like about it are the battery life and the lens covers. I prefer the sight picture, the availability of batteries, and the price of the EOTech.

Yes, my batteries will only last 1/50th of the time in the EOTech versus the Aimpoint, but they're common batteries I can find anywhere when they need to be replaced. And considering I can get a GG&G flip-up cover system for $20, that also negates the lack of lens covers on the EOTech also.

Believe me, if money wasn't an option, I'd go with a Trijicon ACOG, but my pockets aren't bottomless. Hell, they're not even that deep anymore. So the price of the EOTech is also a major selling point (not to mention it's an American company, so my money stays in the states.)

Thanks for the insight, but I'd really prefer an EOTech over an Aimpoint. I just need a little help deciding which one would be best for my needs given what my PCC is used for.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I'd get (I have one on my M-4gry) a 512 rev. F, for most uses you don't need all the stuff some of the more expensive one offer. The 512 is around $350-400 unless you find a good used one, uses the AA batteries, auto shut-off after 8hrs.
    I've owned mine since 2004 and only replaced the batteries once! I used to shoot a lot (before ammo got scarce), I would turn it on once I got to the range and just leave it on until I was through, which is about 6-8 hours a session.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I'd get (I have one on my M-4gry) a 512 rev. F, for most uses you don't need all the stuff some of the more expensive one offer. The 512 is around $350-400 unless you find a good used one, uses the AA batteries, auto shut-off after 8hrs.
    I've owned mine since 2004 and only replaced the batteries once! I used to shoot a lot (before ammo got scarce), I would turn it on once I got to the range and just leave it on until I was through, which is about 6-8 hours a session.
    I agree. I have a 512. your concern with the magnifier wont make a difference. The flip mount for it allows you to access the 512 controls.

I have both - an EOTech on my first AR, and an Aimpoint H1 on the newer AR. Besides the huge difference in battery life, the big advantage of the Aimpoint is that you can reach the intensity adjustment without dismounting the weapon to see what you're doing.

I do appreciate the 65 MOA ring in the EOTech - gets you on target fast when you're just a few yards away.

If you're buying new, getting one of the newer models with the transverse-mounted battery. This reduces the biggest reliability problem with the EOTech, which is battery contact spring 'death'. This is a real problem if you shoot a lot. You can't use the AA battery, but the improved battery life makes up for that. Unless you own or plan to get night vision equipment, save your money and skip the models which are NV compatible.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I went with the 557 for the NV capability.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

HI, I recently bought the 517 model and like it a lot. I went with the side control model because like you I have plans to add the 3x behind it at some point.

"If you're buying new, getting one of the newer models with the transverse-mounted battery. This reduces the biggest reliability problem with the EOTech, which is battery contact spring 'death'. This is a real problem if you shoot a lot."

Thanks for the tip, Gasmitty. I wonder if there are any remedies for this problem?

I used an EOtech for the first time last month and I'm completely sold. The only question is which one.

I think I found the one I want at GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale. A 512 with the lens covers factory installed, & the accucam quick detach mount for $415. I haven't found a better deal yet.

As far as the magnifier goes, I've been thinking, this is a pistol caliber carbine, not an M-4, so I doubt I'd ever have any use for it. I'm just not going to have the same kind of range as an actual rifle will, so it'd probably just be a waste of money for me.

So hopefully I'll be able to order it the Friday after next. Thanks for the help guys!

Μολών λαβέ!

Links