Best reflex sight for under 100

This is a discussion on Best reflex sight for under 100 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wait........before i get torched by the "you get what you pay for crowd"(whom i usually agree with) ,this is for my extra ak74. It is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best reflex sight for under 100

Best reflex sight for under 100

Wait........before i get torched by the "you get what you pay for crowd"(whom i usually agree with) ,this is for my extra ak74. It is my designated plinker/range toy. I use my 870 for HD. I don't want an eotech or acog because it would cost more than the gun itself!

Its one of the truck gun specials and i am ordering a ultimak rail for it. It does not have a side rail.
    I need a red dot that won't brake my bank.

Thought of one of those cheap eotech knockoffs, but heard that the farther the recticle is away from you eye, the bigger the dot. (remember i'm mounting it on the gas tube up front)

So any suggestion? I know opticsplanet has a million of them, but which ones have you used?

Have already posted this question on the akforum and its like a ghost town over there!!!!!!

Will consider a tube style sight but prefer a reflex.

thanks in advance
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

I use a cheap red dot on my Ak, think it is a Tru-glo brand.

Primary Arms has a decent reputation. It's not an Aimpoint, but it's decent for the money.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    Primary Arms has a decent reputation. It's not an Aimpoint, but it's decent for the money.
    +1 on primary arms. They also have a combo price with the ultimak rail that was more affordable than many other place I checked out.

The reviews are rather good for an entry level plinking red dot.

thanks guys! seriously considering a primary arms micro dot gen 2 with the vented ultimak combo. Comes out to 150 plus whatever shipping is.

Any other suggestions? Like i said, i would prefer a reflex but I'm starting to get the picture that the tube style is probably better quality at this price range.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Did you read about the difference between Gen 1 and 2?

I went with Gen 1 w/ ultimak cause of what the site said about co-witness.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a Vortex Stikefire red dot, for 150 (I know a little more than you want but still well below Eotech and Trijicon). It hets good reviews and works well for me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    When you own 14 semiauto long guns you can't put a $500+ unit on all of them, at least on my salary so......

The Primary Arms offerings are far and away the best Aimpoint clones on the market. I have three and they all work very well and hold up to abuse. Hard to beat for under a C note shipped.

FYI, I own EOTECH's (for my serious use weapons) and no question they are worth the money, but for a range or plinking sight the Primary Arms units fit the bill nicely and look good doing it.

This is the way to go with the criteria you are asking for:
    Gen 1 (shown) on AK74......it co-witnesses on the low 1/3 of the sight which is really nice with the Ultimak setup on the AK.

Gen 2 on SIG 522......very nice setup for the .22 Tactical.

I have a Vortex Strikefire mounted on my Saiga and its a very good "mid range" unit ($149). generally has a quality feel to it and works well.

I have also had good luck with the Sightmark reflex sights ($55) on my HP 995 and Kel Tec Sub 2000 plinkers.

I have purchased a lot of red dots over the years and while some on here may have a unit from these makers that served them well, I would stay away from NC Star, Target Sports, BSA, Simmons, Barska. Spend your money elsewhere on a decent unit.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    The Bushnell Trophy line also has a good reputation. I have used a couple of them with good results. Either the 1x32 or the 1x28 models should meet your needs.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Wow pirate great post. Yep That about settles it.

Now the site says the gen 1 is out of stock.....the gen 2 is in stock.

ZERO-I had thought that the gen 2 was the same but with a removable mount. It mentions not being able to cowitness but I though that just concerned the riser via ar15?

from the site:
    Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)
    Micro Dot with Removable Base.
    ■ Ultra sharp 4 MOA dot
    ■ Uses 1 CR2032 battery (included)
    ■ 11 brightness settings. Visible in bright sunlight
    ■ The front glass is coated and angled to prevent glare
    ■ Waterproof
    ■ One year warranty
    ■ Bikini covers included
    ■ Only weighs 4oz
    Optional riser pictured allows for a lower 1/3 cowitness on flat top AR-15/M-16
    ■ Will fit risers designed for the Aimpoint T1, but because of the position of the LED you may not be able to cowitness

Def would like to co-witness, but not absolutely nessesary. Picture is of gen2
    thanks guys you have been a huge help!!!
    -mac
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Wow pirate great post. Yep That about settles it.

Now the site says the gen 1 is out of stock.....the gen 2 is in stock.

-mac
    I think you will be happy with this little micro sight. Primary Arms has great service and ships fast and if you have an issue they will take care of you. If you go to the AR15.com forum Primary Arms has a forum catagory on there and they will answer any questions you may have and you can read others reports on these sights.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have an ATN Ultra Sight that works pretty well. It has four reticle settings, 11 light intensity settings and uses one button cell battery. Mine is the older model that originally retailed for about $180, but I have seen them offered lately for $99 on-line.

Just another one to consider.

surv

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Walther NanoPoint for $49 at CDNN

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/waspnaporedd.html

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Check out Meuller Optics. They make a reflex sight that is outstanding and in this price range. It's good quality with a good warranty. I compare them to Nikon Prostaffs but at a better price point. I love my Mueller reflex. It was on a plinker rifle but now sits on a .22 buckmark.

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Check out Meuller Optics. They make a reflex sight that is outstanding and in this price range. It's good quality with a good warranty. I compare them to Nikon Prostaffs but at a better price point. I love my Mueller reflex. It was on a plinker rifle but now sits on a .22 buckmark.

God Bless
    Gideon
    +1 on Mueller. I have 2 of their scopes and they are the best value in optics out there. Great products!

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU83244TD

and this one

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links