Where do you "stash" your shotgun? - Page 2

Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

This is a discussion on Where do you "stash" your shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Under the bed loaded without a round in the chamber (winchester 1300 with pistol grip). No kids in the house....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

Under the bed loaded without a round in the chamber (winchester 1300 with pistol grip). No kids in the house.

I have seen a coat rack with a "box" above it that has a hidden latch that drops the front to reveal a long gun compartment. Maybe sportsmans guide?

I don't think you want anything in the closet by the front door. If the first you know of an intruder is them kicking in the door, you would have to get through them to get it. And if someone is at the door, you'd have to run back and open the closet to get it.

My 870 is in the front closet with one of these
    http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/pro...sp?prod=284064
    THE LOC BOX GUN LOCK by MOSSBERG it works well.
    When the kids come over is locked with the key around my neck.
    I can unlock it quickly and be ready to rack and roll!
    Tom

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"...a government of the people, by the people, for the people...."

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz
    I have seen a coat rack with a "box" above it that has a hidden latch that drops the front to reveal a long gun compartment. Maybe sportsmans guide?

I don't think you want anything in the closet by the front door. If the first you know of an intruder is them kicking in the door, you would have to get through them to get it. And if someone is at the door, you'd have to run back and open the closet to get it.
    My front door is actually at the end of an outside hallway (hard to explain) but there is really another "real" front door on the other end of the hallway (hallway is between the garage and the house and the).

Quote Originally Posted by pete156
    All nasty comments aside about kid safety,

Did we? Sorry if so, we just don't have any now...........

If about training kids......YEA................but there is maybe sometimes a tinsy itsy bitsy what if.............????? I agree ....but still...aren't kids always a risk and worry?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Rugerman, I'm curious, what kind of shotgun uses a magazine?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Assistant Administrator
    what kind of shotgun uses a magazine
    The Saiga comes to mind - the ''AK style" shottie.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Pete 156 right on. That's why I have Mos.500 also. On 870 I would put a rubber plug behind trigger,like Glocks.Put in corner next to door. Out of sight out of mind.

No kids so it's in my bedroom closet, tube loaded but no round in the chamber.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

Which one?

Jungle Work

I keep the Mossy 500 by the bed safety off, chamber empty. I have a Moss .410 bolt action by the back door for "Varmints", and a NEF single shot 20 guage by my chair in the entertainment room. Numerous handguns strewn about as well. It will be fire while retreating to saferoom, drop empty gun and pick up next loaded one and continue working.

I keep a Mossberg Maverick 88 unloaded in my closet safety off, but with a nylon shotshell holder over the stock holding 2 1- or O-O buckshot shells and 3 heavy game shells. 9mm service pistol in the bedside stand. So far in 11 years I've only had two occasions to jump out of bed and grab a gun, both false alarms. We have 4 little dogs and they're a darn good alarm. Not sure why I have a shotgun but I just had an irrational itch as a "just in case" thing or as I've seen some post, just a SHTF gun. My wife thinks I'm crazy but tolerates this perhaps as my way of dealing with midlife.

2 Shotguns

I keep my 870HD with 5 in the tube (#4 shot) and 6 (#4) on the side. Trigger lock on during the day or when I'm out of the room for a while. Oh yeah, it's behind the door. I keep a Mossberg 590 loaded with first 1 #4 and then 5 slugs in the safe, bayonet close by

45ACP4ever
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    OK, now that's a cool idea! Hmmm part of my hallway by the door has wooden paneling. I wonder if I could redo it a bit and have a taller panel that would be kind of like that painting: on a hinge with magnets on the other side and maybe a special way to open it (kind of along the lines that you have to press a certain spot) and then store the shotgun uprigth behind it. Definately something to consider :D
    Look for a discarded entertainment center with glass doors; the magnetic latches on some of these are designed similar to a ballpoint pen clicker. Push on the latch area and it extends, pushing the door open enough that you can grab the edge. Now, the thin wooden paneling should flex enough that one of these could be made to work in a 3-4 inch depression in the jamb material; press over the depression, and the panel pops out from flush, allowing you to pull it open by the edge. Press anywhere else and nothing happens.

If you have more solid paneling, you could still do it by setting the jamb just far enough back that the latch in its "compressed" position holds the panel flush, but then pushing anywhere on the panel would allow it to extend, so you'd want it to be somewhere it won't be accidentally brushed against.

kd5nrh...This Is Unbelieveable...

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    One of the ideas SWMBO likes is getting a painting that's about 16" wide and tall enough to hide a simple hole in the wall for the gun. Hinge it at one side, and use magnetic fasteners. Line with carpet, add a couple spacers, and you can keep your favorite varmint rifle in there too. A cheap key lock for when the kids are around should be fairly simple.
    kd5nrh...
    This is crazy...but you have nailed my thoughts "exactly"...to the word!
    We must be long lost identical twins who were separated at birth and think exactly alike. I have thought and pictured your identical 'hidden wall' scenario...mine would be in the wall by the front door.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links