Where do you "stash" your shotgun? - Page 3

Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

This is a discussion on Where do you "stash" your shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wife and I in house only. My very first weapon that I would grab as the door comes in, is a pistol. This,in cond.1, in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Wife and I in house only.

My very first weapon that I would grab as the door comes in, is a pistol. This,in cond.1, in the arm of my easy chair that I am in 90% of the time that I am home in the "relaxing" mode. This for ease of opperation. Easly grabbed,easily put to "work" and very familiar. HD Moss 500 is loaded with 3rds in mag in bedroom 20 ft away.

IMO your very first line of defense should be something that you can put into play very quickly AND one handed. As quickly as the door comes in.

We're not talkin' a bump in the night thing here. For that,quietly, grab anything. We're talking,a very quick,very explosive entry.

Please keep this in mind when acessing your home defenses.----------

I keep the 1300 under the bed with an empty chamber. My bedroom has a dead bolt lock on it so when kids are in the house the bedroom is locked off.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    One Benelli Super 90 under the piano lid downstairs, another one locked in a rack mounted on the wall upstairs behind the headboard.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    One Benelli Super 90 under the piano lid downstairs, another one locked in a rack mounted on the wall upstairs behind the headboard.
    You don't play the piano... do you?

My Mossberg 500 is in the safe in the basement. I can get to it if I need to while watching TV in the basement.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a very tall armour (sp?) that my handgun safe is bolted into. Once I iron out the details, I'll be placing Mossy on top sitting on a blanket, with the blanket then folded over it.

The details are, what kind of blanket would not promote rust, and how do I keep someone from grabbing the blanket and pulling it down to use. I need to keep thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Hmmm interesting suggestions. I'm still waiting for someone to post about this cool trap door installed in the closet. Anyways, that's kind of what I'm thinking about right now: what kind of a false wall or shelf type gismo I can build and make it hold my 870 out of side while still available. Even though I fall into the category of the IT folk, I'm actually pretty good when it comes to woodworking.

For the time being though I think I will load up the shotgun, leave it with no rounds in the chamber and take that damn safety off (I got trouble with it when there is no trouble and I can't imagine having to open it while things are not the way they should be).
    Want a cool little trap door idea? Try this one on for size. Get a full length mirror, and mount it to a piece of 1/2"-5/8" ply. Find two studs in a wall and cut out the sheet rock to a size smaller than the mirror. Cut the ply to fit the hole. If you wish, frame in the area between the studs to make a box more or less.

A piano hinge, magnetic catch and necessary hardware is all that is needed to mount the ply/mirror to the wall, and the magnetic catch (like those found in entertainment centers with glass doors).

Once installed, if done properly, will look as if you hung a full length mirror on the wall. No one will suspect a thing. That is until you pop it open to reveal your hiding place.

If you really want to get high end with it, you could get a welder to fab up a steel box to your dimensions, mount that in the hole in the wall and cover the lid in the same way with the mirror. As for how or if you lock it up is up to you.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    You don't play the piano... do you?
    No, my wife does. You ought to hear the bass notes.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It's in my bedroom with in arms reach, I don't keep one in the chamber, though
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

In the bedroom, right next to the bed propped up against the wall

If I roll out of bed in the middle of the night I want me to be the first one able to reach it.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

how's this for something simple. put an exterior door lock on the closet so you can lock the closet door when the kids come over.
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    how's this for something simple. put an exterior door lock on the closet so you can lock the closet door when the kids come over.

I was waiting for someone to say that. Thanks.

Secondly, Since you have kids visiting, I would advise that you make certain that they are trained in firearms avoidance. I don't care who's kids they are. No kid comes through my door without getting the once over regarding guns.

Their parents soemitmes think it odd, until I explain that the most dangerous thing is an uneducated child. If they don't have guns or like guns, fine, but chances are one day their kid will be at someone's house where there is a gun, so they darn well better know what to do(stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult).

To that I add:

Question: if another kid touches the gun, what do you do?

Answer: run as fast as you can and get an adult, before they accidentally kill you or themselves.
    Last edited by sgtD; October 5th, 2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: compression
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links