Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

This is a discussion on Where do you "stash" your shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, a thread on XD forum about a home invasion made me think and wonder if my shotgun is doing me any good. At this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you "stash" your shotgun?

OK, a thread on XD forum about a home invasion made me think and wonder if my shotgun is doing me any good. At this point I am doing the "safe" thing where I have a trigger lock on it and it's sitting in the closet in the upstairs bedroom but..... upstairs I have my 45 and downstairs I got nothing. To top it all off it's sitting unloaded and locked which means that should I need it in an emergency, by the time I get the key into the damn lock (those trigger locks are more complicated then the should be) or even a cable lock (if I chose to lock it that way) and load it up.... it probably would be too late.

So, here's the scenario, I have a pretty big house and there are no kids in it, unless one of my cousins visits. Problem with that is that when they visit, even though she tries real hard to keep tabs on them the little rascals often end up playing hide and seek in the closet by the front door (which would be my first choice for shotgun placement).

So what would you guys recommend? I've never really given it much thought before and right now I'm kind of out of ideas as to how and what to do. My goal is to have a loaded (with nothing in the chamber though as the loading sound is probably one of the most intimidating sounds short of firing something ) shotgun somewhat available but still kind of out of the way. Is it possible? or am I asking for too much??

Oh yeah, it'd probably help if I mentioned what it is: it's a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel.

Thanks

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Everyone's situation is different, I rarely have children running loose in my house. So my scattergun has its place muzzle down in the corner between my bed and the wall, fully loaded, safety on. My father's solution to the youngin's was mounting a couple pegs on the inside of the bedroom closet door, too high for children to reach, and of course all kids are briefed in to the rules of the house. "don't go in the bedroom, and if you come across a firearm don't mess with it, come and tell me." Your mileage may vary, but that's my .02

Here's its easy - no kids or grandkids:

12 GA Mossberg Persuader has a fully loaded mag, ready for one to be pumped into the chamber. Safety is off. It's in my bedroom closet, right by the door. The closet is 20-25 feet from the front door. The distance does not bother me because when I'm "out in the house" (e.g. not in the BR), I carry a Glock 17 or Glock 26.

When and if we have young 'uns around - my thinking WILL change. First step will be to lock the BR door. I have a couple of years to figure that out I think.....

Lead Moderator
    they make lockable wall mounted gun racks. perhaps , lock it up when the young ins are around.
    I keep a gun on me and the others locked in the safe. My kids live with me and have been told how to handle guns and not to mess with em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    No children at home. My Mossberg Maverick 12 ga. has 5 shells in it and is ready to have one pumped into the chamber. It hangs in a 4 position gun rack on the wall in my home study/office/computer room. It is about 5' off the floor so when small children visit I am not much concerned. It is a bit of a stretch for my wife to reach it because of the knife display case that sort of blocks it from easy access.

The original owner of our house build a bedroom for an aunt years ago and it is sort of cut off from the rest of the house. It has its own bathroom and so we use it as our bed room. To get to it from the rest of the house you go through a porch area that is glassed in. The three dogs sleep in the house at various locations. One in our bed room, one on the glassed in porch, and one in the living room - dining room area. There are three doors into the house (1922 Craftsman style bungalow) - one on the glassed in porch, one into the dining room, and one in the living room. The dogs chose their own assignments, but it is amazing that in order to get to us you must come through at least two of them. By time you get to where I am the arsenal is ready. When I go to bed I take off the guns I have carried all day. My Sig 239 goes on the night stand about 8" from my hand with spare mag and flashlight next to it. Kel-Tec P32 goes on night stand about 15" from my hand with spare mag next to it. The wife has her Bersa .380 and spare mag in night stand drawer about 12" away. That area is pretty much covered.

That said I have given serious consideration to the Taurus model 44 TEN 410GA/.45LC revolver with 2.25" barrel for the front of the house. I would like to have something that would not necessarily remodel the living room if I needed to use it. A couple of these properly located for quick use could be just the ticket. 000 Buck shot in .410 carries 3 .32 size pellets. Three of these to be the first rounds to fire and two .45 long colt rounds for cleanup should handle most situations without overpenetration or knocking down walls. Still haven't decided. I have handled the gun, but not shot one. Hope to rectify this soon.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    My 870 is to my right by 12" in the office!! That is where I spend so much time.

In the house I have kept a Mossy 500 under the bed sometimes but don't like leaving it there, even tho no young kids. In house anyways at night, carry piece is within very easy reach.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmmm interesting suggestions. I'm still waiting for someone to post about this cool trap door installed in the closet. Anyways, that's kind of what I'm thinking about right now: what kind of a false wall or shelf type gismo I can build and make it hold my 870 out of side while still available. Even though I fall into the category of the IT folk, I'm actually pretty good when it comes to woodworking.

For the time being though I think I will load up the shotgun, leave it with no rounds in the chamber and take that damn safety off (I got trouble with it when there is no trouble and I can't imagine having to open it while things are not the way they should be).

All nasty comments aside about kid safety,

My Mav 88 sits right next to my bed leaning up against the wall. I keep 5 in the tube, chamber empty and safety off. I have gun proofed my daughter and the one I have on the way will be trained as well. Besides, I don't know how other shotty's work, but the Mav has a release that you have to press before you can even rack the slide.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My 870 rests between my dresser and a wall, which is also next to my bed. I got it loaded up with 4 rounds of 00 buckshot, and safety on.

My 870 is at my headboard, on the deck leaning against the wall. My .45 is on the nightstand when I'm in the bed and on the dresser just inside the bedroom door, when I am up. As soon as a child enters my home I IMMEDIATLY go and unload both and secure the ammo.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    So what would you guys recommend? I've never really given it much thought before and right now I'm kind of out of ideas as to how and what to do. My goal is to have a loaded (with nothing in the chamber though as the loading sound is probably one of the most intimidating sounds short of firing something ) shotgun somewhat available but still kind of out of the way. Is it possible? or am I asking for too much??
    Thanks
    One of the ideas SWMBO likes is getting a painting that's about 16" wide and tall enough to hide a simple hole in the wall for the gun. Hinge it at one side, and use magnetic fasteners. Line with carpet, add a couple spacers, and you can keep your favorite varmint rifle in there too. A cheap key lock for when the kids are around should be fairly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh
    One of the ideas SWMBO likes is getting a painting that's about 16" wide and tall enough to hide a simple hole in the wall for the gun. Hinge it at one side, and use magnetic fasteners. Line with carpet, add a couple spacers, and you can keep your favorite varmint rifle in there too. A cheap key lock for when the kids are around should be fairly simple.
    OK, now that's a cool idea! Hmmm part of my hallway by the door has wooden paneling. I wonder if I could redo it a bit and have a taller panel that would be kind of like that painting: on a hinge with magnets on the other side and maybe a special way to open it (kind of along the lines that you have to press a certain spot) and then store the shotgun uprigth behind it. Definately something to consider :D

I am currently in the habbit of having mine secured and unloaded with a cable lock when not at home. When at home I keep it next to the bed with 00 Buckshot.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Winchester 1300 Defender in the gun safe inside the bed room closet. My Makarov is always beside me. The wife's Makarov 380 is always beside her.
    For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

John

Mine sits in the gun safe with a full mag next to it.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links