Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck - Page 2

Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck

This is a discussion on Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Roger CETME came in 1957 with input from German engineers and HK. It is based on the German StG45 delayed roller block system and originally ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck

VIP Member
    Roger CETME came in 1957 with input from German engineers and HK. It is based on the German StG45 delayed roller block system and originally fired the same round as the StG45 but with input from HK the caliber was changed to 7.62 x 51. Either way they are good guns.
    Buckeye depending on where you are at there may be some G3's or FN's floating around that you may be able to handle and shoot.
    You cannot go wrong with a DSA gun they are great shooters. Also check Arizona Response Systems they make FN's also.
    Good luck, stay safe and Semper Fi.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My vote is for the M1A unless you have the bucks for a DSA Para FAL.

JD
    Administrator
    Having had a SOCOM II/16, I would likely go the AR10 route, some models can use the new mags from MAGPUL and one of those would be my choice. If the 6.8Spc would pick up more steam I'd go that direction but who knows what the future would bring.

Anyone have any input on the DPMS LR-308 Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. as it is in my price range, and looks like its got some potential to reach out and touch somebody, although it isn't going to do the job a cqb rifle. Optics would require more cash, but I do have that these days.

JD, if you don't mind me asking, why were you not a fan of the SOCOM II?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I too am curious why JD didn't warm up to the SOCOM. A critical review from him as a former owner would be a worthwhile read.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

JD
    Administrator
    Well, first off it wasn't that accurate, even from a bi-pod and bench with iron sights, but that's probably because the standard front sight is bigger than a barn door. The SOCOM II was just too gaudy so I converted it to a SOCOM 16 by pulling the 2lbs quad rail and obtaining a scout mount and top hand guard but it still didn't handle the way I liked, I attribute this to many years of fondling my A2.

When I started looking at the cost of what it would take to make the M1A more JD friendly it just wasn't worth it to me. A VLTOR Modstock, or Sage EBR stock was just too costly and the JAE was still in the works at the time, and even now it's still not light due to the aluminum skeleton, however if I were to go the M1A route again, I would go with either a full length barrel or the Scout rifle for a little more length, (the 16" of the SOCOM just didn't impress me) and the JAE stock.

The AR was originally designed in .308 and was then adapted to the 5.56 cartridge, a lot of people think it's the other way around, but that's not the case and I just like the handling characteristics of the AR better than the M1A.

I've been eye balling those folding FALs lustfully but my overall familiarity with the AR sways me that direction, as I mentioned earlier the only real problem with the AR10s INMH is that many use proprietary magazines and that just sucks, I don't want to be stuck chopping M1A mags, and I don't want to be shelling out $50 a mag, so what ever AR10 I would go after would take the Magpul 7.62X51magaizne which according to Midway would mean something like this from DPMS with a .308 chamber.

...because the standard front sight is bigger than a barn door.

Hmmm...shades of the early Mini-14s.

I've never fired one and am curious about them. I don't think I would enjoy the short barrel. I actually prefer the simple full sized version with standard length barrel.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

JD
    Administrator
    Now regarding the front sight, obviously it's not THAT BIG, but I think that if I were to aim at Dog target (Buckeye knows what I'm talking about) at 300, I doubt the front sight post would be narrower than the width of the black, it's about twice+/- the thickness of an M16/M4 front sight post. Sure they make National Match sights but like I said, I just didn't want to put that much $$$ into a rifle that's going to sit in the safe until WWIII comes knocking. Sure I'll drop bucks on a Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer etc, but those I actually use for carry/competition and will get my money's worth out of them. When it comes to my rifles I just want to take them out of the box, add an optic and be done for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Now regarding the front sight, obviously it's not THAT BIG, but I think that if I were to aim at Dog target (Buckeye knows what I'm talking about) at 300, I doubt the front sight post would be narrower than the width of the black, it's about twice+/- the thickness of an M16/M4 front sight post. Sure they make National Match sights but like I said, I just didn't want to put that much $$$ into a rifle that's going to sit in the safe until WWIII comes knocking. Sure I'll drop bucks on a Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer etc, but those I actually use for carry/competition and will get my money's worth out of them. When it comes to my rifles I just want to take them out of the box, add an optic and be done for the most part.
    Well what happens when WWIII does come knocking? Do you suddenly become proficient in the use of the chosen rifle by osmosis or something?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Well what happens when WWIII does come knocking? Do you suddenly become proficient in the use of the chosen rifle by osmosis or something?
    Proficient?

5 years active in the USMC, 1 year reserve USMCR, OIF 1 Veteran, 3rd award rifle expert...

There's a difference between choosing not to pimp my rifle out with every gizmo out there and not knowing how to use it. I know how to use mine very well.

Next question.

VIP Member
    The SOCOM series are great little rifles for their intended purpose, a short barreled full powered rifle meant for CQB. They are not meant for shooting bulls eye target at a 1000 meters like their big brothers.
    Keep in mind that there is a big difference between Minute of Angle and Minute of Man. The gas system differs from the full size version also so parts do not interchange with the full size model.
    The DPMS AR 10 will suit your needs fine and you can work up to optics and accessories as needed. I dont know what mag it takes.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks JD, appreciate it.

When I was glancing around DPMS's website today, I saw that their LR-308 takes the Magpul mags (I've trusted my life to P-mags in both Iraq and Afghanistan and they haven't failed me yet), which makes me pretty interested in it. Although If I go that way I'll probably go a bit more of a DM rifle route than a true battle rifle route. But the one with the 24 inch bull barrel with an MSRP of around 1150 looks pretty good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I also vote Saiga. Their rifles are usually great deals in price/performance. The shotty's have gone up to $500+ though.

Russian American Armory

Senior Moderator
    Something to think about on the AR-10 types.

You can have a 20" or 24" scoped tophalf for the longer shots...and you can have a 16" for everything else.

In a about a minute you could have the rifle suited for whatever it needs to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Proficient?

5 years active in the USMC, 1 year reserve USMCR, OIF 1 Veteran, 3rd award rifle expert...

There's a difference between choosing not to pimp my rifle out with every gizmo out there and not knowing how to use it. I know how to use mine very well.

Next question.
    I think you misunderstood my question. I wasn't doubting your shooting ability. I think there is a difference between pure shooting ability and proficiency with a certain gun.

For example, I am a decent pistol shot. Not great, not bad. You could hand me almost any pistol and I would be able to shoot it pretty well. I am proficient with M&Ps, in that I know exactly where the controls are without ever thinking about it, know just how far to let that trigger out to reset, know exactly how to grip to shoot the best etc. It took quite a bit of work to get there, and I need to constantly maintain or I see my performance drop. That's why I questioned just leaving something in the safe and never touching it til it's needed. I have no doubt with your experience you shoot better than the majority of the gun owning population.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links