Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck

This is a discussion on Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ahhh, OK. I'm stating things from my point of view, and knowing Buckeye's experiences far exceed my own, I think he knows where I'm coming ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck

JD
    Administrator
    Ahhh, OK.

I'm stating things from my point of view, and knowing Buckeye's experiences far exceed my own, I think he knows where I'm coming from and what I meant.

In this thread, we're discussing equipment, not the training involving the use of such equipment.

The point I was making is that when I buy a gun, I want it the way I want it (with the exception of a few minor tweaks) from the factory. I don't want to pick up a $1K+ rifle and then spend $2K making it they way I want, especially if I'm only going to put about 1K rounds or less through it in a year.

While I can get away with not shooting the rifle as much, that doesn't mean that everyone can. I do intend to shoot my rifle a little more now that our IDPA club is adding rifle side matches but to those that don't participate in such things I don't know what to tell you.

Other than actually going out and forking over the cash for a carbine class etc. nothing is really going to prepare one for using a rifle in less than optimal conditions. Sitting on a static bench shooting is good for fun, but for the new rifle shooter it's not tactically (Did I just use the "T" word? ) beneficial.

2. Remove Ads

Gotcha. I run into the same problems with all the ranges around here. 1 shot per second, no drawing from the holster, shooting and moving would make the world explode, etc.

Senior Moderator
    I went with a Century FN-FAL (the L1A1 with a metric reciever) with a DSA scopemount and a compact scope.

Since I do not have your or JD's experience with a rifle I took a carbine class with my M1 carbine (in a class full of AR's). I found the class much more valuable than any pistol class I have taken and recommend one to all civillian shooters.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    JD (or anyone), any idea of those PMAGS work in Noveske 7.62s?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    JD (or anyone), any idea of those PMAGS work in Noveske 7.62s?
    I don't think so, Noveske uses the same mags as the Armalites.

Noveske N6 and Armalite AR-10 7.62mm latest Generation magazines.

VIP Member
    This is straight from the Magpul website.

•Commercial rifle compatibility includes the KAC SR25, DPMS LR308, LWRCI REPR, LMT 7.62 MRP, LaRue Tactical OBR, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07 and others
    NOTE: NOT compatible with Armalite AR-10, Rock River Arms LAR8, and any other rifles that utilize M14 type, FN FAL, or HK 91/G3 magazines
    I dont know what lower the Noveske rifles use but hope this helps.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Something to think about on the AR-10 types.

You can have a 20" or 24" scoped tophalf for the longer shots...and you can have a 16" for everything else.

In a about a minute you could have the rifle suited for whatever it needs to do.
    That is one of the great things about AR platforms, is how modular they are, and the fact that I'm rather familiar with them, so control and such would be in mostly the right spot. An AR 10 with a 16 inch barrel would be a bit much for HD probably, but for a SHTF rifle, would probably be rather handy. Heres a question, does anyone know of any AR-10s that will accept M1A magazines?

Somehow I turned into Rambo in this thread, I'm just a grunt who does his job, nothing more, the rifle gets carried much, much more than it gets shot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I don't think so, Noveske uses the same mags as the Armalites.

Noveske N6 and Armalite AR-10 7.62mm latest Generation magazines.
    Yeah, I assumed because they can take Armalite lowers on their (Noveske's) uppers, that they were a no-go for the PMAGs. Bummer.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    That is one of the great things about AR platforms, is how modular they are, and the fact that I'm rather familiar with them, so control and such would be in mostly the right spot. An AR 10 with a 16 inch barrel would be a bit much for HD probably, but for a SHTF rifle, would probably be rather handy. Heres a question, does anyone know of any AR-10s that will accept M1A magazines?

Somehow I turned into Rambo in this thread, I'm just a grunt who does his job, nothing more, the rifle gets carried much, much more than it gets shot.
    Well you have to remember that I was just a lowly radio tech and you are big bad knuckle dragging 03killem'all_ _.

I don't think you can directly use and M1A mag in an AR10 type without modding it, but the Armalite and similar can use them once modded IIRC . Rock River LAR-8s uses L1A1 & FAL mags

Senior Moderator
    The Armalite AR-10's were originally made to accept the MIA mags, but there were problems with reliability due to the mags not all being made to the same tolerances.

For some time the newer mags have had the mag retention notch moved just a bit. You can use original mags but they must be filed out a bit, in fact, the Armalite mags are just modified M1A mags.

The newer built form the ground up mags produced by Armalite for the Armalite are correct although they are pricey. Its one of the reasons I went with the Rock River.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well you have to remember that I was just a lowly radio tech and you are big bad knuckle dragging 03killem'all_ _.

I don't think you can directly use and M1A mag in an AR10 type without modding it, but the Armalite and similar can use them once modded IIRC . Rock River LAR-8s uses L1A1 & FAL mags

A radio tech in OIF 1, right? Don't sell yourself short.

Learn something new everyday, thanks for the input on the mags guys. So far Ive narrowed it down to a PTR 91 clone, the DPSM LR-308 with the 24" bull barrel, a standard M1 if I can get a good deal, or a century metric FAL. I need to get to a gun store and start handling these suckers. I'd say right now the top runner is the dpms though, although then I'm gonna need a scope for sure, thank God I got 7 months tax free pay.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    The DPMS is a good gun, I just didnt like the fact that it didnt have a foward assist. There were a bunch of them on sale here for 799, but none of them had the FA.
    That 24" bull barrell is alot of gun. If you do go with it, do yourself a favor and get a good scope to put on it...something like a Leupold MK4 10x or something worthy of it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The DPMS is a good gun, I just didnt like the fact that it didnt have a foward assist. There were a bunch of them on sale here for 799, but none of them had the FA.
    That 24" bull barrell is alot of gun. If you do go with it, do yourself a favor and get a good scope to put on it...something like a Leupold MK4 10x or something worthy of it.
    I can live without having the forward assist, although it make take some time not to slap the side of the receiver after putting in a new mag every time. I'd probably have to put something decent on it at firt, like a lower end Leupold, or maybe try out one of the new Redfields I saw in the gun rags, and then put on a scope like it deserves as an EAS present to myself or the like.

Although I also just found the RRA LAR-8, so many choices, so little pay for an E-3.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Some DPMS .308's (AP-4, for example) do have a forward assist...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have very little experience with them, but I believe there's a PTR-91 somewhere in my future. Maybe many years down the road, but it's in my plans somewhere in there.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links