Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck

This is a discussion on Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LMT just got the contract from the British MOD for a 308 AR-platform for the Tommy's new designated marksman rifle. It even has a Britiish ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which .308 battle rifle has the most bang for the buck

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    LMT just got the contract from the British MOD for a 308 AR-platform for the Tommy's new designated marksman rifle. It even has a Britiish designation of L1..something. Familiar type weapon, American company and I would assume plenty of mags etc. will now be available. Just a thought brother!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Although I also just found the RRA LAR-8, so many choices, so little pay for an E-3.
    The Rock River has a much better trigger than the rest, one of the reasons that I chose it, as well as the fact that it takes the metric and inch FAL mags that you can still get pretty cheap.

I have had mine on order for several months now. There is at least a 6 month wait just to get one. That could give you a bit of time to save up. I know about the E-3 pay. BTDT.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Well Buckeye who knows what might happen if you decide what you want or make the purchase and need an optic some old jarhead who was also a lowly E-3 at one time whom god has blessed might just be able to help a young jarhead out. Send me a PM.
    Semper Fi
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

It's probably not a 'battle rifle' by any stretch of the imagination...the new Kel Tec RFB (.308 Bullpup), takes FAL mags. I guess they're planning on other calibers too - 7.62x39, .223, 6.8 SPC. Weird looking, to say the least. Looks like it would be handy in a vehicle or indoors.

Kel-Tec RFB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

My pick would probably be the M1A in Squad Scout configuration. I have one with a synthetic stock, and I love it. It has an 18" barrel, which gets better ballistics than the 16" SOCOM, has a little longer sight radius, and is not as punishing to the ears. I have a full-size M1A, as well, with wood stock, and I like it, too. I like the fact that magazines are plentiful and, at least for now, inexpensive.

I have a 16" AR10-T, also, and while it is a great little rifle and works well, the M1A is softer in recoil and just more pleasant to shoot, at least for me. I have both modified M14 mags and Armalite purpose-made mags, and it works with both, but the funky plunger that activates the bolt stop sometimes needs a little slickemup on a new magazine to reduce drag on the back of the magazine body. 400-grit paper does the trick.

I had a lightweight DSA FAL-type 16" carbine for awhile, and while it was a nifty little gun, it didn't work for me. I didn't like the location of either the bolt handle or the mag catch. Enough use might have made me feel differently, but at the time, I was spending most of my rifle time with ARs of one kind or another, and it didn't translate. I did like the cheap magazines, though.

I had a Bushmaster .308 for awhile, but it was an early one with the goofy detent on top to hold the charging handle in place, and they always got loose and wouldn't hold. That design has been changed, and I liked it otherwise. It used FAL mags. Sold it when I realized that sooner or later, the charging handle would start floating rearward on its own, which would be distracting.

I've handled and shot HK-91s and full-size FALs, and dislike the ergonomics of both, especially the HKs. The HKs are heavy as two boat anchors, and still kick like mules.

I like the looks of the Rock River and DPMS offerings, and have handled them, but not shot them. I have a couple of friends with DPMS guns, and they love them. My son-in-law has a DPMS in .260 Rem., and it has given him excellent service, despite his abusing it mercilessly.

Not an easy decision, but ain't it grand to have options?

This thread has been full of useful, and helpful information, thanks guys. I need to get to a gunstore, too bad the Brits stopped using the FAL years ago, or I'd go ask one to see his rifle, but I dislike their goofy bullpup they use now, the ergonomics just don't work for me.

I'd say the DPMS is the front-runner right now, I can deal with the lack of an FA, and really a DM kind of rifle in .308 has been on my list for a while. But the others are still in the running, gotta see what i find a deal on.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Not all the DPMS's lack the Foward Assist.
    You can get one with it if you want.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Just looked on another local places webiste today and found this: DS Arms STG58 FAL .308 cal Rifle , anyone have any info on these rifles? is it hard to replace the flash hider, as that sucker is long, and I'd probably like something shorter. Also, it says metric buttstock and pistol grip, does that mean it will only take the metric magazines?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    DS Arms makes great guns, and the STG58 is made from Austrian kits with new barrels and recievers. The flash hider should just screw off.

Check out

DS Arms STG58 FAL .308 cal Rifle

Rifle for sell (I've bought from them before and had 0 issues)

http://www.dsarms.com/STG58--Austria...info/STG58STD/

And it only accepts metric mags
    DS arms website
    Last edited by pgrass101; June 10th, 2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: corrected link
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Metric mags are not a problem easy to find and cheap. Aim surplus has the rifles good deal and good rifle.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I too have been thinking about getting an AR-10. I currently have two Daniel Defense AR-15's (5.56) and I absolutely LOVE them. Unfortunately, DD only makes a 300 blackout or 6.5 and I would prefer a .308 due to the availability of ammo. So.....who makes the best .308's? FYI, I'm not interested in "clones". I'm only interested in the best name manufacturers.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Best bang for the BUCK is hands down the COLT 901. If you can find one. Comes standard as a .308 but also excepts 5.56 uppers. Before the rush I saw one for 1400 at a gun store.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

subs

I'm waiting on a FCG for my 16" Saiga .308-1. Once it's here I'll comment more. Except for the crappy "sporter" trigger, its a great shooter out to 200 yards with the iron sights.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I too have been thinking about getting an AR-10. I currently have two Daniel Defense AR-15's (5.56) and I absolutely LOVE them. Unfortunately, DD only makes a 300 blackout or 6.5 and I would prefer a .308 due to the availability of ammo. So.....who makes the best .308's? FYI, I'm not interested in "clones". I'm only interested in the best name manufacturers.
    You should start a new thread. This one is 2.5 years old and is asking if FAL/M1A/AR-10/PTR-91 is best.

Austin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links