Building AR's

This is a discussion on Building AR's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anyone recommend a few sites for buying parts to build an AR? I came across a few but have gotten lost looking through some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building AR's

Building AR's

Can anyone recommend a few sites for buying parts to build an AR?

I came across a few but have gotten lost looking through some other forums. Mainly just trying to make a cheap one instead of spending the extra couple hundred on a colt of M&P

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    www.spikestactical.com Great company with GREAT affordable products.

RifleGear

Upper 16" DS-4 for sensibly priced uppers.

Do yourself a favor and don't spend too much on an AR as they are not ever going to be as accurate as your favorite bolt gun. Buy something you can afford that functions well. I like AR's but I have learned that a $500 quad-rail does absolutely nothing to improve my accuracy. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a few sites for buying parts to build an AR?

I came across a few but have gotten lost looking through some other forums. Mainly just trying to make a cheap one instead of spending the extra couple hundred on a colt of M&P
    Do you want to "build" one from scratch or do you just want to assemble an upper to a lower?

For my first AR I went the first route and sourced my parts from all over the web. Let me see if I can remember who I bought everything from:

Upper receiver, charging handle and other parts: Brownells
    Bolt and carrier:Bravo Company
    Barrel with muzzle brake, gas tube: Model 1 sales
    Lower receiver and LPK: RB Precision
    Buttstock, buffer tube:Midway USA
    Front and rear sight parts: Fulton Armory
    Pre-ban Magazines: EE at ARFCOM

Since the first build I also went the easy route and bought a complete, Rock River Arms, 9mm upper from RB Precision and a pre-ban lower from someone I knew.

Building and AR isn't hard at all and is a lot of fun. The worst part is keeping track of all the small springs and detents that will shoot across the room if you don't do things just right. Go to AR15.com. They have great write-ups on building your own.

I got a kit from Del-Ton. I got my instructions off of AR15.com. It's pretty straight forward and easy to complete.

Best of Luck.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

[QUOTE=whisky19;1651333]Do you want to "build" one from scratch or do you just want to assemble an upper to a lower?

Figure i would just put an upper on lower. Would assemble the lower as well.

Does Del-ton require shipment to an ffl for their rifle kits?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    [QUOTE=zeppelin03;1651472]
    Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    Do you want to "build" one from scratch or do you just want to assemble an upper to a lower?

Figure i would just put an upper on lower. Would assemble the lower as well.

Does Del-ton require shipment to an ffl for their rifle kits?
    The only part that requires an FFL for any AR is the lower receiver. Every other part (aside from lower) can be shipped straight to your door.

Model 1 sales,or Del-Ton have decent rifle kits,you will need to buy a lower receiver as it is not included in the kits
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    My last order from model 1 took 7 months to ship. They may be more caught up now.

Building for me was more about customization than economics (is a disipator upper with quad rail and a telescoping stock that much to ask?).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Good advice in this thread - the fellas put you on to some good sources.

One thing to watch out for - if you're assembling a stripped lower - is the bolt hold-open roll pin. It's one of the trickiest things about an AR. The rest of the lower's pretty easy.

Another thing that I'm personally picky about when I build them - I like to get my bolts from the same manufacturer as the barrel I'm using.

Building your own rifle will give you a confidence and familiarity that you won't get from buying one straight off the rack.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Sponsor
    Spend some time at m4carbine.net
    Do some lurking and looking. research the different resources available.
    G&R Tactical have great products and good prices.
    Figure out what your real needs are and build a rifle to suit them. Is this a going to be a range toy, a HD/SHTF tool or a wall decoration? I mean if you are going to take it out a couple times a year to punch holes in paper then you don't need the best of the best of the best. But if you plan on competing in any way or pursuing serious training then you want to pay attention to the tiny details.

$.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Is this a going to be a range toy, a HD/SHTF tool or a wall decoration?
    Looking to be more HD and range. Figure don't anything special. Just something that will fire. Will have to look around that site a bit.

VIP Member
    Let me give you a must have. I can promise that no one else will post this for you unless they have built a couple AR's, but I can assure you that these small pieces and be a make or break with regards to reliability.

KNS Hammer and Trigger Pin 2nd Generation, 2nd Modification Non Rotating AR-15 Small Pin Oversize .1555" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

One thing I have learned,the roll pin for the bolt release latch,I use a dremel and make the end I start a little more pointy and it's easier to start,the front takedown pin spring and detent will be tough,but I measure the spring so that I can cut enough off to start the detent in the hole and use the takedown pin to push it back til pin lines up with holes,the detent and spring basically just keep the takedown pin from getting lost while field stripping gun.the trigger guard make sure you install the trigger guard by first inserting the end with spring loaded detent on mag well side before you pin the other side,I have one lower receiver that if you open the trigger guard for shooting with gloves it pivots towards the magwell instead of the pistol grip
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I highly recommend getting The Bushmasters DVD, Part No: ADS-002. Bottom of the page. It covers a complete build step by step. It outlines all the parts and tools you will need. Than clearly shows you how each part is put together. A great resource for anyone building their first AR or first time AR owners who want to understand how your AR works
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

A good place for kits everything except the lower. Don't try to order on their website just look around figure out what you want then call them.

I ordered my kit from them and the only problem I had was it was missing the bolt catch spring, which I called them and they sent one out right away

AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.

Step by step how-to's courtesy of ar15.com

Build It Yourself - AR15.COM
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links