Remy 700 ADL 30/06

This is a discussion on Remy 700 ADL 30/06 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I looking for some real world feedback about this rifle , what you think about this rifle ?...

Thread: Remy 700 ADL 30/06

Remy 700 ADL 30/06

I looking for some real world feedback about this rifle , what you think about this rifle ?

2. Remove Ads

What kind of feedback?

Solid action. Solid caliber. Capable of anything on this continent.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    What kind of feedback?

Solid action. Solid caliber. Capable of anything on this continent.
    +1
    I have the same gun and it has done everything i have asked of it. I have stretched it out to about 300 yards in Colorado hunting Mule Deer and Elk with no problem. I do wish the trigger was a little better but that just takes a quick trip to the smith.

VIP Member
    Depends on the price. It is a great gun for $400 or under. It is a decent gun at $550 or less. It's a raw deal at anything over $550.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I bought mine in '75 and still own it, will never get rid of it. Has taken everything from ground squirrels (yeah, overkill) to moose with no problem. Tinkered with mine (glassbed kit, etc., not trigger or gunsmith work) and can shoot under 1"@100 yds when I do my part.

I reload and found 165 grn Sierra BTs on 64.5 grn of 4064 to be a terrific round for up to deer or caribou-size animals. Very tight still at 300+ yards. Jumped to 180grns for the moose (meese?).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ... for the moose (meese?).
    Mice.

And, even though I'm not a big M700 fan (I prefer M70's), it's a good rifle, in a solid caliber.

A bit much for home defense...but a reliable stopper, one would think.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

What trigger is in it? How old's the rifle? Price? Condition?

In general, great rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    What trigger is in it? How old's the rifle? Price? Condition?

In general, great rifles.
    $450, is in good condition with a ship Bushnell scope.

Two thumbs up on the Remington 700. As with most guns, it'll be particularly sweet if you can have a skilled gunsmith turn his/her "accuracy" attentions on it.

I prefer the BDL format. The open floor plate is useful, at least for cleaning. As for the Remington 700 rifle itself, I like it. It's more solid than my Savage 12 was. In .243 with a long/heavy target barrel, the Rem 700 it can reach to 1000 yds.

I'm sure you'll get lots of comments from long-time Remington 700 hunters and other users. Me, I've only owned two rifles, with my last being a Savage 12 in .223 and this one being a Remington 700 in .243 . I prefer the BDL open floor plate variant, personally, but that's really a minor point.

Mine is a Rem 700 SPS Varmint bolt-action in .243 Winchester, with heavy 26" barrel, lefty action, Jewell HVR trigger fitted (set to just under 1 lb). At 600 rds, it is now smooth and reliable. Two changes have been the Jewell HVR trigger to replace the factory X-Mark Pro, and a heavy composite stock that has been fitted, bedded and balanced for this rifle. Both are better suited to the heavy, target oriented barrel as compared to the original, flimsy plastic stock that came with it when new.

I have topped it with a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50mm scope, so it is easily capable of reaching out to 1000yds (with the right marksman).

At best accuracy, I have been able to get about 0.75" groupings at 200yds, with an occasional flier. Though I cannot do that for long, the rifle is certainly capable of it. And it hasn't seen the gunsmith. This one is out-of-the-box accurate. The Hornady V-Max bullets in ~75-95grs seem to do best, for factory rounds. Am putting together my reloading bench now, so soon I'll be cooking up some accurate loads for this gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    $450, is in good condition with a ship Bushnell scope.
    You can probably buy a new 700 ADL for around that price if you are willing to put the time and some effort into it. With that said, as long as it hasn't been abused it is not a horrible price and a Remington will last you a lifetime. If it's in good shape I'd probably buy it.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

+1 on the new rifle. It also depends on which Bushnell scope is included. Since it is used, if it has some years on it, you'll want to have a smith check it out.

Links