EO-Tech holographic scope on an M4

This is a discussion on EO-Tech holographic scope on an M4 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My next project is to trick out my M4A1. The problem is mine has a handle instead of a flat top. There are attachments they ...

Thread: EO-Tech holographic scope on an M4

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question EO-Tech holographic scope on an M4

My next project is to trick out my M4A1. The problem is mine has a handle instead of a flat top. There are attachments they make so you can put a rail on the handle then put a scope... I want to get one of those EO-Tech holographic scopes, but is it worth it? Does it look tacky, or is it do-able with the handle?

2. Remove Ads

I have a 512 (AA model) and it is pretty heavy and on top of a carrying handle like that I'm sure it would make it kind of unwieldy, though I'm sure the smaller ones aren't too bad. More importantly, the actual pane of glass that you look through is over 1 1/4 inches above the base of the sight, that means you are going to have to get your eye pretty damn high up to look through that sight. If you have access to one just to see how it feels I would try that first, I imagine that something lower profile would work better. Works great on a flattop though.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My problem is it is a fixed handle, so I can't take it off at all. Is there anyway I could compensate for the height difference? I really want a scope for this.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Flat-top stripped upper recievers can be had for under $100. If you really want to mount an optic, I think it's worth the investment to swap uppers. The gunsmithing part is really not hard - all you need is a vice and an armorer's multi-wrench. If you're hesitant, I'm sure you could find someone nearby to help in the ar15.com hometown forums.

I kept an optic mounted on the carry handle of my DPMS A2 for a while. It works, but it requires more of a "chin-weld" than cheek-weld and it makes the gun really tall. I've since removed it and will just stick with irons on the A2. The optics go on the flat-tops.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I recently fired an AR that had a Trijicon Reflex (smaller than the EOTechs) mounted on what I will call a "reverse cantilever" rail off the front of a fixed carry handle. The dot worked very well and the mount allowed for proper co-witness with the iron sights.

I'd say it is definitely doable with the Reflex. If you aren't absolutely set on your particular choice of red dot, you can do this with your existing upper.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I recently fired an AR that had a Trijicon Reflex (smaller than the EOTechs) mounted on what I will call a "reverse cantilever" rail off the front of a fixed carry handle. The dot worked very well and the mount allowed for proper co-witness with the iron sights.

I'd say it is definitely doable with the Reflex. If you aren't absolutely set on your particular choice of red dot, you can do this with your existing upper.
    The mount that you are referring to is usually called a "Swan mount".

Which would work with a EOTech; if set up properly, it would cowitness throgh the iron sights.

Another way would be to get a railed handguard and forward mount the EO on it, although that may require a slight riser to get a proper cowitness.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Links