.45 LongColt Lever Action Rifle Question

This is a discussion on .45 LongColt Lever Action Rifle Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A coworker was telling me he wanted to sell his .45 LC lever action. I was interested so he brought it to work one day. ...

Thread: .45 LongColt Lever Action Rifle Question

.45 LongColt Lever Action Rifle Question

A coworker was telling me he wanted to sell his .45 LC lever action. I was interested so he brought it to work one day. He handed me the rifle and a box of ammo.

I was confused at first because the box said .44 Magnum (or Special can't exactly remember.)

I told him he had the wrong ammo.

He said that he shot the .44s all the time. He said he was at the store and they were out of .45 LC and the guy behind the counter said that .44s were fine.

My questions are....

A: Will the gun chamber and shoot .44?

B: Could this gun be damaged because of the wrong ammo?

C: Will the .44s not chamber and he is just confused?

I'm worried that he may have damaged the gun.

I didn't know if perhaps it was interchangeable like .38/.357

I searched google and didn't see anything about .44s being shot in a .45

Thanks,
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While a 44mag will fit into a 45lc chamber they are not interchangeable. The 44mag case measures .456 and the 45lc case measures .480, a rather large disparity in size. Upon firing the 44mag will swell to the chamber but the higher pressure the 44mag operates at can cause damage to the gun and possibly injury to the shooter.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Read the marking on the side of the rifle for the caliber.

You can damage, the rifle, damage yourself, and others when you pull the trigger if wrong ammo is chambered and dischaged.

We don't know. Investigate the situation.

I could talk about 44 special. 44 mag. 45 shofield, or 45 long colt. However,
    First find out if the rifle is safe. Then only shoot the ammo specified.

Senior Moderator
    The guy behind the counter is an idiot. Not only is he a liability to himself, but he is a liabilty to the company that he works for.

DO NOT shoot .44 magnum ammo in a rifle that is marked for .45 Colt.

There is a major difference in operating pressure, the 44 Magnum being much higher.

While you may have gotten away with it thus far, you are playing the odds and its only a matter of time until something gives.
    When it does and you hurt yourself, every one will say..."well dummy its says .45 Colt, not .44 Magnum.

Dont do it. You are asking for trouble.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The guy behind the counter is an idiot. Not only is he a liability to himself, but he is a liabilty to the company that he works for.

DO NOT shoot .44 magnum ammo in a rifle that is marked for .45 Colt.

There is a major difference in operating pressure, the 44 Magnum being much higher.

While you may have gotten away with it thus far, you are playing the odds and its only a matter of time until something gives.
    When it does and you hurt yourself, every one will say..."well dummy its says .45 Colt, not .44 Magnum.

Dont do it. You are asking for trouble.
    I haven't shot it. I wouldn't. I figured he had been wrong. Perhaps I'll see if he'll let me take it to a gunsmith to check out.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Moderator
    Good.
    Glad to hear it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    He said that he shot the .44s all the time. He said he was at the store and they were out of .45 LC and the guy behind the counter said that .44s were fine.

Truly an accident waiting to happen.

Years ago, Phillip B. Sharpe wrote a piece for one of his reloading manuals, "And the Angels Sing." It was meant to apply to reloading specifically, but I think it might apply in this situation as well:

Reloading Editorial From Sharpe's Handloading Book
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Find what store told him that, and never shop there.

What brand of firearm is it. Some are built much stronger than others, so the firearm could be ok, but really only if it is checked out by a qualified gunsmith.

Metal stress is a progressive thing as well, sure it could be fine now, but the damage could already be started. Think like a chip in your cars windshield.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The world is full of idiots, and some villege is looking for its missing one.

I'd have it inspected by a gunsmith before I shot/bought it. HUGE difference between .44 Mag and 45 LC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    A coworker was telling me he wanted to sell his .45 LC lever action. I was interested so he brought it to work one day. He handed me the rifle and a box of ammo.

I was confused at first because the box said .44 Magnum (or Special can't exactly remember.)

I told him he had the wrong ammo.

My questions are....

I'm worried that he may have damaged the gun.

I didn't know if perhaps it was interchangeable like .38/.357

I searched google and didn't see anything about .44s being shot in a .45

Thanks,
    As said before, this rifle is an accident waiting to happen.

I would stay a LOOOONG way away from this rifle. There may not be any noticeable damage at this time, but it is almost certain to have been greatly over stressed firing 44mag in a 45lc chamber.
    Even having it inspected may not show the fine stress cracks unless your gunsmith can floriscope(sp) it.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

A .45 Colt lever rifle can be such a wonderful gun to have! What model is it and did you buy it?

And as you know by now... shooting the wrong caliber in any gun (with a few exceptions such as .38 spl. in a .357 magnum or .44 spl. in a .44 magnum or .45 Colt in a .454 Casull) is a HUGE mistake. That guy at the gun shop should be fired immediately.

Before firing any ammo with a different caliber marking in a gun not matching that caliber, you MUST do the research to determine the appropriateness. As I said above, there are cases where it's not a problem. But generally speaking it's a REALLY bad idea.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Links