Night vision device?

Night vision device?

This is a discussion on Night vision device? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been giving serious thought to the SHTF / EOTWAWKI scenarios. My "kit" has one obvious weakness....Darkness. Has anybody given serious thought to how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night vision device?

VIP Member

Night vision device?

I have been giving serious thought to the SHTF / EOTWAWKI scenarios. My "kit" has one obvious weakness....Darkness. Has anybody given serious thought to how much of an advantage NOD/NVGs would be in a Katrina like situation (or worse)?

I'm pretty familiar with the AN-PVS-7 goggles but I don't know anything about gun sights or scopes. Does anyone have any insight into a gun sight? I know the eotec has a nvg setting but I'm more interested in a low power gen 1 or 2 rifle scope (it's all I can afford).
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

the new rave is in thermal imagers, as they are now to the point in technology they are about the same size as nvds.

i know we had some nvds and thermals that mounted right onto our optics, which really worked best, since you still had the magnification and same reticle and all.

One problem with nvds is that you still need some ambient light for them to work.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have been giving serious thought to the SHTF / EOTWAWKI scenarios. My "kit" has one obvious weakness....Darkness. Has anybody given serious thought to how much of an advantage NOD/NVGs would be in a Katrina like situation (or worse)?

I'm pretty familiar with the AN-PVS-7 goggles but I don't know anything about gun sights or scopes. Does anyone have any insight into a gun sight? I know the eotec has a nvg setting but I'm more interested in a low power gen 1 or 2 rifle scope (it's all I can afford).
    This is a decent article.

Night Vision vs. Thermal Vision - What You Can't See CAN Hurt You! - Accessories - GunsAmerica Magazine And Forums
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good for thought, thanks for posting....
    For God, Family and Country!

Shooting someone while you are wearing NV equipment might not look too good for you...I'm just sayin'...

Kind of brings "Silence of the Lambs" to mind...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can see using it on a weapon, in your SHTF scenario, but I wouldn't use goggles. Every time I've had to use them in the Army I've hated it. Very poor peripheral vision, very poor depth perception, very poor close vision (think walking on uneven/hole ridden terrain). In most cases, outdoors, I'd rather rely on naked eye, with the scope as back up for scanning at distance. Also, as mentioned above, with night vision, you need some ambient light or lunar illumination for them to work. When the illum is low, they suck.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    I have plenty of experience with the AN PVS-7 goggles. I know how NV works.

What I want to know is if there is any NVD out there that is reasonably priced, yet still works pretty well. I can't afford 5 to 15 grand for a thermal sight or a gen III or gen IV sight.

To RET: This is one of those things that if I ever have to use it, it will be so bad that I won't be worried about the legalities. Think end of the world as we know it or some MAJOR disaster scenario. I think that if it gets bad enough even basic NV will be a huge advantage over 98% of the rest of the population/BGs.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Seriously there is a toy verison that is supposed to work pretty well for goggles. It is pretty much a standard Gen 1 system, but with an extra IR flashlight added you can get pretty good results.

It is a toy though, so the casing is lacking, but it runs around $50
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I don't know what your price range is, but these run $2500-3000 (it's under the 5-15K you mentioned above as being too much.)
    This is what I carried in Iraq:
    NG PVS-14 Gen.3 Night Vision Monocular ( NGNVMPPV14301 / NGNVMPPV14302 ) FREE S&H NGNV131243, NGNV930730. NG Night Vision.

The good thing about them, is you can use it as a monocular NVG, or use it's rail adaptor, and put it on a rifle. Because I hate using NVGs, I would rail mount it in front of my M68, when the illum was good enough to walk by. I'll see if I have a picture of the setup anywhere.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Poor man's night vision...flare gun.

Just a thought.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I don't know what your price range is, but these run $2500-3000 (it's under the 5-15K you mentioned above as being too much.)
    This is what I carried in Iraq:
    NG PVS-14 Gen.3 Night Vision Monocular ( NGNVMPPV14301 / NGNVMPPV14302 ) FREE S&H NGNV131243, NGNV930730. NG Night Vision.

The good thing about them, is you can use it as a monocular NVG, or use it's rail adaptor, and put it on a rifle. Because I hate using NVGs, I would rail mount it in front of my M68, when the illum was good enough to walk by. I'll see if I have a picture of the setup anywhere.
    This is what I'm talking about in terms of what i want. I think though that $3K is still out of my league. I want to be around $1K but I could stretch a bit if I have to, to get something decent that is.

I would like to see pics though.

You liked the monocle set up? When I was in we used the Full goggle and I hated that we had no depth perception. I usually took them off every chance I could get. How does it work when you have it helmet mounted? Do you just switch eyes back and forth, one eye open and the other shut and switch when you need to?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Poor man's night vision...flare gun.

Just a thought.
    A flare provides light for the BGs too.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A flare provides light for the BGs too.
    Of course it does. So does a flashlight, yet we all carry one, right?

If you are in a defensive posture (stationary) in an EOTWAWKI/temporary breakdown of law and order situation, a flare gun will do quite nicely. The BG will likely not be able to pinpoint where you are, while you will have them lit up pretty nicely.

Hey, if you have money to burn, get the NVGs. Given the very low likelihood that you will need them, however, it seems to me that your money could be better spent on other things. A flare gun would be an inexpensive option.

Also - many video cameras have low-light capability. Might be useful for surveillance without breaking the bank.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I used to have a pair of Gen1s and they're not worth the money. The disparity in quality between AN PVS-7s and even the GenI+ stuff out there is so large that I think it's a waste of time, especially noticeable if you already have a lot of experience with GenIII. I would recommend you save the extra pennies and pick up GenII+/GenIII or better. I've got the GenIII PVS-7s for the hell of it and for one of those disaster scenarios with the compass adapter. It makes for fun stargazing in the meantime.

A good friend of my has the PVS-14 and EoTech setup on his AR and it's pretty nice (recommended if you have the means), though my eyes have difficulty with blending the NVD-assisted eye and naked eye together. If I were to blow money on a NVD setup, I'd go with the SR-25 and Aquila Scope.

You used to be able to pick up early GenIII on eBay for under $1k. You might still be able to, but I don't know if they've altered their policies on items like that.

I've used PVS-7A in the military, very good asset to have. Wish I had a set...For the house I would like infared illuminators/spotlights to use with a couple NV cameras. Again expensive. Once spotted by someone up to no good they will avoid that area. This I know..One with a motorized mount w/ remote control would be more effective. Heck I'd like one just to watch the bear and deer here...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    I've used PVS-7A in the military, very good asset to have. Wish I had a set...For the house I would like infared illuminators/spotlights to use with a couple NV cameras. Again expensive. Once spotted by someone up to no good they will avoid that area. This I know..One with a motorized mount w/ remote control would be more effective. Heck I'd like one just to watch the bear and deer here...
    That would be a neat setup. Heck, I've seen my fair share of coyotes and deer here in CT with my 7Ds.

Your post reminded me of a quick little tip for people looking to accessorize their ARs (or whatever) with an infrared light. I bought a SureFire 6P and actually purchased a $20 airsoft knockoff of an infrared filter and it works very well (you can find them at most online airsoft shops). It gives off a very faint red glow that is imperceptible to the naked eye beyond 10-15 feet. No need in spending close to $100 for some brand name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links