Mossberg 590 for HD

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590 for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A "bump" or a "crash". No kids in the house. For a crash, depending on my read, the first action may be a civilian flash ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 for HD

A "bump" or a "crash".
    No kids in the house.
    For a crash, depending on my read, the first action may be a civilian flash bang.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have the Mossberg 590 "Special Purpose" with 8+1 rd. capacity as well as 2 speedfeed holders on each side of the stock. I love it and excited to combat fire it again at the outdoor range this coming Saturday.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If you are that worried about ammo. Just use the bayonet. :)

5 rounds should be fine, if not probably rifle time at that point.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I just have guns hidden around the house, only way to get one is to know where it's at. Or I just have the wife go check it out if I am to scared.

I had a 590 for a few years as my HD long gun. It was the 20" barrel, 8+1, with speedfeed stock, heatshield, sidesaddle, and bayonet lug. All in all, it was a great gun, but I decided I wanted something shorter. (There's a couple of pics of it floating around here on the forum.)

These days the long gun sitting beside my bed at home is a Beretta Cx4 in 9mm loaded with OEM 20 round magazines. Attached to it is a streamlight TLR-1, and soon to be an EoTech 512. If for any reason I need to move through the house, the shorter length, the ability to use one handed, the faster reload, and the 20+1 magazine give it an advantage over the shotgun.

Now then, I also have part time custody of my daughter,and I'm a single father, which necessitates my need to have one hand free in the event of a SHTF situation (carrying her with one hand while having another hand free to fire a weapon if needed.) Your needs may vary obviously.

If I was entrenched in a "safe" room, I'd rather have the shotgun. But if you've got to be able to maneuver, I'd prefer the carbine.

But I'm also planning on following in Janq's footsteps and getting myself a 14" barrelled Mossberg 590A1 this year as well. It'll have a Speedfeed IV stock and a Surefire grip on it by the time I get done with it. There's definitely something comforting in the "cha-thunk" sound of a pump shotguns action being worked.

Having options is great.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Katana,

My specific model came OEM with the Speedfeed stock, whihc a ton of folks on the internets seem to have issue with functionally...But myself in my own experience both at the range as well as with using dummy shells it works 100% as advertised...And it adds weight to the gun overall at 4 shells total (2x2) whihc helps further dampen recoil when firing heavy 00 buck.

Having the 14" barrel is so functional for this application (HD), just by storage options alone.
    For example it'll fit with room to spare inside of a standard height/length suit storage bag! Place that inside your closet or bring it with you when traveling (by road) and it fits perfect.
    Comes to the shoulder quick easily and point s like your index finger while swing is just a matter of moving your torso.

Expensive as an option, but worth the coin IMHO if you can justify it.
    Try your best though to locate a now 2 yrs. out of production unit that has an OEM fixed 'modifed' choke. If not then where state laws allow you might look into having the short barrel reamed to accept an internal choke. The gun then becomes even more flexible as rather than being cylinder bore.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Like you Janq, I've also got experience with the Speedfeed stock. Mine worked perfectly as well, so I'm curious what the problems were you've read about? Deforming shells is all I can think of.

That's what keeps me away from the Saiga 12, the problems I've read about the magazines deforming the shells when stored fully loaded.

Oh, and I put the wrong number in my last post, I meant the III, not the IV. I don't have any intentions of adding the sidesaddle to this one, but I do want extra shells carried on the gun though. I think the speedfeed is a much better choice than one of those slip-on elastic shell holders for that purpose.

I'll be starting the paperwork for that sometime soon after getting my EoTech. This SBS will be my final gun for years as I intend to use my money for ammo, equipment, and training only for awhile.

Ok, maybe not my final one, but I've no intentions of buying anything new...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I have an 18.5" Mossberg 500 six-shot and a 20" 590 nine-shot. While it's nice to have the extra capacity, honestly, the 20" 590 feels like a boat compared to my 18.5" Persuader. Even after I removed the un-necessary heat shield from the 590. What I love about the 590 is that it's a Mossberg 500. What I don't love about it is the boat-like feel and relatively poor handling. As someone mentioned earlier, if you're in a fixed position... like hunkered down in the bedroom waiting for trouble to come through the door... the nine-shot 590 is GREAT! But for maneuverability, the nine-shot 590 is a boat.

(The coach gun is there for size comparison, as I have these three gun models.)

The 1.5" difference between the Persuader and the 590 may not look like much, but when you figure in the additional weight of the three extra shells, extra mag tube, heat shield, and bayonet lug, plus the 1.5" longer extension. That 1.5" 3-shot difference is VERY noticible in handling.

Factor in the 14.25" LOP of the factory synthetic stock and the 590 isn't exactly "nimble".

I put a 12.75" LOP Bantam wood stock and ribbed wood forearm on my 500 and it's the quickest shouldering, sweetest handling shotgun in my group.

That said, I've also got a couple of Winchester 1300 Defenders, which are 18" but with 8-shot capacity. NICE! They're really nice guns indeed!!! But they're no longer made and a little harder to find. I still think the edge goes to the six-shot 500 when it comes to quick handling.

Although, this model 1300 does handle quite nimbly! But it takes more skill and practice to fire it well. Reduced recoil 00 Buck goes a long way toward taming the gun considerably.

I'd say go for the Mossberg 500 18.5" six-shot Persuader and look into a short butt stock, either Hogue 12" LOP OM stock or go with wood and get a Bantam stock. If you get an 18.5" 590, I'd say leave it as a six-shot to retain the quick handling.

The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Katana,

People complained about the ports being too hard to get a shell out...Or too difficult to get a shell in.
    I think this is well remedied with actual training through use.

Folks also complained that shells would pop out of the unit randomly.
    I did not find this to be the case at all. In fact I even tried drop testing mine using the dummy shells. Not one shell went errant.

I agree with you, the Speedfeed IMHO to my own experience beats a stock cuff and/or a receiver mounted shell holder hands down as for this specific purpose.
    My only wish if it could be done is to have one made of wood, and only because I like the look of traditional wood on a shotgun. The polymer as it is current and normal is completely fine and functional.

Also IMHO 1.5: is the _maximum_ barrel length applicable for HD specific use of a shotgun.
    The only exception that in my mind would be people who happen to live in a teepee, loft apt. or some other type no walls very wide and open floor plan residence that would not require navigation through and along.
    The vast majority of Americans though do not live as such and to that end anything longer than 18.5" becomes akin to holding an average broomstick or short length kayak paddle....Where as my 14" model in _overall length_ is more akin to handling a tennis racket in length as shouldered.

I typically suggest that if to go the SBS route is not affordable or desired/allowable by state law, then to go 18.5" barrel and replace the stock with a youth/bantam type short pull model...Or to run an O/U coach gun (!).

Field length barrel shotguns and even many of the turkey guns out there (removable internal & external chokes) are not all that good for HD application. Same goes the 20" barrel 590/500 models sold. Fine for combat use in a trench or jungle where there is at worst just vegetation as originally developed & marketed (Vietnam era), but a no go inside of an actual building that has walls & door frames to navigate among and through.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The Mossberg Persuader 500, we used it for our security watches and law enforcement duties in the Navy. And being already trained in it inspired me to get a 590 except with more firepower. I am proud of my 590 which also has speedfeed stock.

I fired from my 590 at the range about 80 rds. of my old Federal Tactical 00 Buck before I replaced them with fresh ones. I did it from standing, kneeling, and squatting positions. Since the outdoor range did not allow point shooting at chest level, I did mine when I arrived home while dry-firing with snapcaps. Another word of advice, if you decide to shoot slugs, stay away from Federal Tactical Slugs. They left a very large and stubborn residue on my barrel which took a very long time to remove and took much of my cleaning time for it. Don't learn it the hard way like I did in the past.

I've heard good things about Remington slugs. I've got some, but have only fired one shell of it. No residue issues, though only 1 slug was fired.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I've heard good things about Remington slugs. I've got some, but have only fired one shell of it. No residue issues, though only 1 slug was fired.
    Me too. Never had any residue issues with them as I use them sometimes if I decide to use slugs instead of Buckshot. Again, I only use slugs occasionally for combat shooting practice. Otherwise, I don't keep slugs for home defense (for that purpose I only use Federal Tactical 00 Buck) since I don't feel they are that necessary for an urban environment as they have overpenetration capabilities. Next time I shoot, I might just use target loads or birdshot just to save more money as ammo is no longer cheap these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I have fired more Remington slugs or Sluggers than I did the slugs from Federal and still, Federal leaves a stubborn residue in my 590 barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Me too. Never had any residue issues with them as I use them sometimes if I decide to use slugs instead of Buckshot. Again, I only use slugs occasionally for combat shooting practice. Otherwise, I don't keep slugs for home defense (for that purpose I only use Federal Tactical 00 Buck) since I don't feel they are that necessary for an urban environment as they have overpenetration capabilities. Next time I shoot, I might just use target loads or birdshot just to save more money as ammo is no longer cheap these days.
    Yea... I shoot cheap target loads predominantly, but every time I shoot I also like to unload tube full of 00 Buck just for the muscle memory.

Just this morning there was a shooting out on my lawn.... I saw the grass moving gently from a subterranean mole.... love it when that happens.. grabbed the loaded 1300 Defender (I always have a few loaded shotguns close at hand! ), which had Remington Express 00 Buck in it, and I unloaded two shells at point blank into the moving lawn.... TA DA! A small crater opened up in the lawn and right before me was a big fat mole with it's lower half gone. I don't really like killing animals, but I love it when I nail a mole with a 12 gauge! Those fat little phuckers have torn my nice lawn up one too many times!

That's three moles in the last week! Yee haw!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links