Mossberg 590 for HD

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590 for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking of getting a Mossberg 590. would it be better to get the 6 shot 18.5" barrel and add a +2 extension or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 for HD

Mossberg 590 for HD

I am thinking of getting a Mossberg 590. would it be better to get the 6 shot 18.5" barrel and add a +2 extension or get the 590 9 shot with the longer barrel for in home use?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I do not think you can add an extension to a mossberg, because of how the barrel fits to the mag tube.

The trade off is mobility in a tight indoor space vs 2-3 extra rounds. I personally go for mobility because I can go to my pistol for more rounds.

I actually use a M1 carbine for my HD long gun lots of rounds and mobility
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I didn't think you could add an extension to a Mossberg, but it seems you can (at least on a 590--on a 500, not possible unless you replace the entire mag tube)...Brownells carries one.

VANG COMP SYSTEMS : SHOTGUN MAGAZINE TUBE EXTENSION - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

However, it's only a one-shot extension.

I think I'd take the 18.5" barrel and an extension.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Wow learn something new everyday
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

the 590 can take extensions.

As for barrel lenght, i have a 20 inch 8 shot 500, and an 18.5 6 shot remington 870, and the Remy is easier to maneuver through a structure, if you plan on using you shottie from a fixed defensive location, i would go with the extra shots, if you are going to be moving, the short barrel.

if you want some extra firepower, look at the 930 spx.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The 590 barrel attaches to the magazine exact same as that of Remington 870.
    Magazine extensions are and have long been available for the 590.

It is the 500 series Mossberg that has a specific type of barrel attachment that does not support magazine extensions.
    This is a specific model item not to be thought of as generic to all Mossberg in general.

Agreed _very much_ with Buckeye...That barrel length makes a difference.
    For the specific application of HD shorter is better.

Rather than focus on the two extra rounds simply get yourself a stock sleeve to carry 4 or 5 extra rounds...And at home using 12 ga. snapcaps/dummy rounds train and work on your loading technique as the firearm is shouldered.

- Janq owns a 590 A-1 SBS 14" barrel and has a Remington 870 Super Magnum w/20" barrel on hand among others
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    If you have a problem in your home that can't be solved with six rounds of 00 buck then your problem is probably too big to tackle alone.

Just get the shorter model and a sidesaddle/buttstock shell holder. It will be handier, have a slightly looser pattern (good for indoors/up close), cost you less and be all you will ever need for HD.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I heard #1 buck was a good choice
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

There are those who recommend it and probably a number that use it. Individual domicile characteristics, may effect your choice.

I trust my 590A1 with 5 in the tube, 5 in a saddle and 4 in the factory model speed stock. It's light, manuverable, and patterns wonderfully and accurately at 30 yards. My vote is for the shorter barrel, someone already said it, if you need more than 6 shots you may be in over your head.

Besides practicing speed loading, practice switching from shotgun to pistol drills, assuming you have a HD Pistol as well.

Cheers!

in a bump in the night situation though where do you keep your pistol while you have a shotgun?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

My levis sit on the bed at night, it take two seconds to put them on. Pistol goes at six o'clock. My thinking is that depending on circumstances, I have an unexpected additional weapon.

No kids in the house, live alone, sleep alone. Shotgun rests next to the bed, XD .45 sits in holster on night stand. I lock my bedroom door when I go to sleep, if there is an immediate threat the shotgun is there, but with the locked door I assume I have a couple of seconds to throw on jeans or shorts to secure my pistol.

If not, the shotgun is loaded with 5 and has about 9 more ready to go in the magazine.

CTS,

I keep a pair of pistols at my bedside in a quick access gun safe.
    Both guns loaded kept in Condition 1.
    Four auxiliary magazines kept with them they too loaded to capacity. Additionally a full box of duty ammo stowed inside.

The shotgun is kept cable locked through the action in my bedroom inside a closet.
    The key to that lock is kept along with two boxes of ammunition (10 shells) in it's own safe. I live in MA and have children in the home so my method is within that of the law as well as safe gun ownership rules.
    If I were childless and single they both would be kept during the night as unlocked.
    Both shell boxes have had their tops removed so that the shell bases (brass) are standing up allowing me to in the dark if necessary reach and load without having to feel or think which end is up.
    One of the keys to the cable lock is on a string and physically set down inside the first box of two, as inside the safe next to the shotgun. The code is the sort that makes it very easy to enter on the first try even in pitch darkness by feel alone.

I tested this all and practice it while doing same randomly on a monthly basis to keep sharp at it.

My plan is at said noise I reach for one of my two tac lights, both always kept on my nightstand (and a 3xD cell Maglight 'assault club' is low at the top of the bed frame).
    Go for one of the handguns first...

If I need to Alamo it to the bedroom after securing the kids (which is two large rooms in one with three door levels including one made of steel), then well I've got 83 rounds of ammo across two handguns and a shotgun to deal with whomever.

- Janq is married to an unlicensed anti and has two young kids
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links