SHTF carbine/long gun for my wife? - Page 2

SHTF carbine/long gun for my wife?

This is a discussion on SHTF carbine/long gun for my wife? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The little berreta Cx4 storms are nice but it probably will weigh too much Can't totally agree there Bud - I tend to regard mine ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF carbine/long gun for my wife?

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    The little berreta Cx4 storms are nice but it probably will weigh too much
    Can't totally agree there Bud - I tend to regard mine as a pretty lightweight gun really - hang on - will weigh it -

Ok - 6 1/2# so not featherweight but - very totable IMO. Biggest downside I reckon is they are too darned costly!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My Storm .45 weights in at 6lbs,6oz. with full length pic rail,red dot sight,and heavy duty,nylon sling.

But (gasp!!) only 9 shots. What if you have 10 BG's ??

P95, My hole's bigger than your hole I recon(?).

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I'd agree with Dave, one of the leverguns chambered in a pistol caliber. My preference is for the Trapper models in .45 Colt. But the .357 truly shines in a carbine.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

m-1 carbine in .30 caliber carbine.....

hafta be a reproduction though as all the originals are way expensive...

(sorry I just sent mine out to Dad in Colorado, he needed a carbine in the cruiser and the Sheriff wouldn't buy one....)

(what about the Hi-Point carbines???)

If you're serious about home-defense - no substitute for a shotgun. Mossberg will cost you less than $200. I know plenty of small statured women who can shoot 100's of 12ga. rounds in a trap session. Just need to learn to live with the recoil - use a shoulder pad if needed. She'll get used to it.

Problem with most rifle cartridges is over-penetration and the god-awful noise. Shotgun will be loud - but will not be anywhere close to an SKS. Short rifles also have flash issues.

I would not recommend anything less than buckshot - I use single 0 - but 00 is also popular. Bird shot simply does not have the penetration necessary to reach the vitals. Contrary to popular belief - buckshot is not a big over-penetrator.

Not to say you don't want or need a rifle for more of a SHTF situation - but I would make the shotgun the priority.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Short rifles also have flash issues.
    Depends on ammo used.

But I agree, everyone should have a shotgun too.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

The .22 magnum will fit the bill quite nicely. Alot of people think its a low life cartridge. Not so ! Especially in a long gun. Ammo is relatively cheap and virtually anywhere in the U.S., stock more quantity in smaller storage area. Did I mention...what recoil ?
    Taurus makes a .22 mag in a pump. The same pump that Rossi had put out. The lil' carbine even comes apart into 2 pieces for storage or travel. No need for magazine. Rifle is tube fed.
    Last edited by artz; June 18th, 2006 at 12:20 AM.

Distinguished Member Array soonerjh's Avatar
    how about a Hi-Point 995 Carbine? 9mm, 10 round mag, lightweight. They don't have the bad rep as the handguns do, some reviews were good. I have seen these at gunshows for 150.00 used, right under 200.00 new. I only know of one person that has one and he says it shoots great, I haven't shot it but I need to catch up with him and try it out!
    RKBA

John

I would recommend the Kel-Tec Sub2000. I'd get on in 40cal, but that is just because thats the caliber I am now using. Also don't rule out a 12 guage shottie. A Remington 870 with an 18" barrel and non-extended mag is pretty light. I must recommend a fine recoil reducing product from Knoxx. Knoxx makes several different stocks with recoil absorbing devices built in. The have several different styles for Remington and Mossberg.

I have a remington 870 with their Compstock added. This is a regular style shotgun stock but absorbs nearly half of the recoil. Makes shooting 2 3/4" 1oz slugs and 00buck feel like a push on the shoulder. They also make a tactical AR style stock that is said to absorb nearly 94% of the recoil because it has two seperate recoil reducing devices. Check out their website www.knoxx.com

How about the good old M-1 carbine? Definitely fits the light, compact and relatively mild bill.

No idea what they sell for these days, though.

Matt

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If I had the money to spare, it would be a CX-Storm in .40cal, it would have an extended barrel for legal reasons, and equipped with a light and laser would be a good defense weapon for the wife, a more mundane one would be a Junior size .410 shotgun.

The M1 Carbine is also a good choice. Auto Ordinance is currently making new M1s, although I believe it is slightly one the $500 mark.

The M1 is a cool retro gun and I'd love to have one, especially with the paratrooper stock. That and a good M1 Garand and a more modern M1A Socom 16.

If you could find one, how about a Marlin Camp Carbine 45. I've got one and it fits the bill perfectly. I would also look at the Ruger PC series, available in 9mm and .40S&W. For home defense usages, I would stay away from typical centerfire rifle rounds.
    I also would +1 on the tactical shotgun. A Mossberg 500A or Rem.870 in 12ga. loaded with low recoil buckshot should work as well.

I gotta say, especially for a bug-in, just use a handgun. The ranges fired from will be extremely short, and a pistol cartridge from a carbine is still a pistol cartridge. Either use a handgun or a real rifle, don't get the wimpiness of a handgun cartridge in the bulk of a rifle, that's the worst of both worlds!

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Either use a handgun or a real rifle, don't get the wimpiness of a handgun cartridge in the bulk of a rifle, that's the worst of both worlds!
    You've never seen the ballistics tables of a .357 or .45 Colt from a carbine length barrel, have ya?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links