New to me rifles much sooner than I anticipated

This is a discussion on New to me rifles much sooner than I anticipated within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I began collecting surplus rifles a few years ago. I began first with my M1 and have been adding to the collection ever since. I ...

Thread: New to me rifles much sooner than I anticipated

New to me rifles much sooner than I anticipated

I began collecting surplus rifles a few years ago. I began first with my M1 and have been adding to the collection ever since. I have obtained most of the sub $500 rifles I am interested in, so the rate in which I am collecting has slowed considerably over the last year or so.

A few weeks ago I came across an opportunity to own two of those over $500...well over $2000 rifles that was an exceptionally good deal. I figured it would be years before I could afford examples of these rifles, so some employee purchase stock program had to be let to. To be honest this stock from both my current and previous employer I had completely forgotten I even had, until I had to figure out how to afford these rifles.

I wont go into the specifics on purchase price, but I'll say that I could have easily have paid the price given for one of these rifles, not both.

Now that I have them, I am curious how I can assure they are genuine. I know the M1D is difficult to validate, and the research letter will be going out to the CMP on monday. How can I tell on the cheekpad, scope, mount, and flash hider? Same with the No4(T), anything specific I can look for?

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...oons/No4T3.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...oons/no4T2.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...noons/M1d2.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...inoons/M1d.jpg
    Last edited by kinoons; June 19th, 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fix link for photos

2. Remove Ads

Your links don't lead to pictures.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Need pictures!
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Your link goes to Photobucket's main page...

I see a picture of some chick with a tree tattoo'd on her back! Is that what you bought?

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    This might sound rude but I think you put your cart before the horse. You should have validated the rifles before paying for them. Only bad can come from digging into their past now.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

ATC -- Thanks the opinion about the cart before the horse and I did consider that fact -- the deal was good enough that if the rifles are simply an amalgamation of parts that I roughly broke even. If they turn out to be original I'll be ahead.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Very few original sniper versions (with original optics) of military surplus rifles are now avalible on the market. There are also alot of copies floating around. As others have stated you should have done your research and due diligence upfront before purchasing. I am not saying you did not hit the jackpot but I have been a 03-FFL Curio and Relics military surplus collector for over 15 years and I would have my doubts. Without examining the rifles first hand and looking at all the markings there is no way to tell if they are genuine examples of the rifles they represent.

I would go to the Surplusrifle.com site and ask these questions on the appropriate forum. These folks are truely experts on these guns.
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php

Do some research of the Lee Enfield here
    The Lee-Enfield Rifle
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links