Ruger Mini 30

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini 30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who has one? I'm considering picking one up as my main rifle. I really like the overall performance of the 7.62 vs 5.56. Do you ...

Thread: Ruger Mini 30

Ruger Mini 30

Who has one? I'm considering picking one up as my main rifle. I really like the overall performance of the 7.62 vs 5.56. Do you like it? How's the accuracy?

Edit - On second thought I'm also entertaining a 14 as well. The only thing that bothers me is that there are some threads floating around about the accuracy (or lack there of). Only thing is that most of the threads I can find are 2-3 years old. Has the accuracy improved since then? Will it put lead on paper target at 200 yards?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

See my thread!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

You can get higher-cap factory mags with the 5.56 Mini 14, compared to the Mini 30.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    See my thread!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

You can get higher-cap factory mags with the 5.56 Mini 14, compared to the Mini 30.
    Thanks for the link to the thread. I think I am going to go with a 14 over a AR for a couple of reasons.

1. Cost - Both initial and no risk of wanting to hang 1000.00+ worth of magpul accesories on it. I know the mags are a bit more expensive but I think someone just came out with a well priced after market.

2. I honestly prefer the more m1/m14 style non pistol grip rifles. I am just more accurate with them. I do wish that tapco or someone made a aftermarket stock for it that retained the traditional rifle rear but had dual rails in front.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I had one about 15 years ago. It was fun to shoot, but nothing spectacular.

As for 200 yards, with that course sight keeping it on paper would have been a challenge. I used to slap a 55 gallon barrel and an old washtub at that range but even then it was all over the place.

I got an SKS some time around then when they were cheap. I got to shooting it more than the Mini 30 and eventually I sold it. Still got the SKS though.

Talking

The 5.56 is inherently more accurate in the majority of rifles than the 7.62 X 39. For most defensive applications the 7.62 is harder hitting. Both will do you just fine. Plenty of surplus ammo available for both to shoot economically. I shoot the 5.56.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

On the 5.56 vs 7.62 x 39 quandary...

For me, I see the heavier 7.62 as better for barrier penetration - things like cinder blocks and timber. For civilian self defense, I don't see much of a need for that...that's more of an offensive consideration.

With JHP or JSP ammo, the 5.56 is probably as nasty in flesh as the 7.62...maybe worse, since it is more likely to tumble.

Either will do at the range you are likely to need. I prefer the NATO standard for supply reasons, and it's nice to be able to carry more rounds for a given weight.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    I got an SKS some time around then when they were cheap. I got to shooting it more than the Mini 30 and eventually I sold it. Still got the SKS though.
    I owned a Mini 30 for several years and while a typically solid Ruger product I found it was not any more acurate than my SKS's of which I have several. Still have the SKS's and sold the Mini.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

On the 5.56 vs 7.62 x 39 quandary...

For me, I see the heavier 7.62 as better for barrier penetration - things like cinder blocks and timber. For civilian self defense, I don't see much of a need for that...that's more of an offensive consideration.

With JHP or JSP ammo, the 5.56 is probably as nasty in flesh as the 7.62...maybe worse, since it is more likely to tumble.

Either will do at the range you are likely to need. I prefer the NATO standard for supply reasons, and it's nice to be able to carry more rounds for a given weight.
    While I agree this in general, I disagree with the second paragraph. With the right ammo (PRC) the 7.62x39 will begin to yaw in the neighborhood of 2". IIRC the next best is Yugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While I agree this in general, I disagree with the second paragraph. With the right ammo (PRC) the 7.62x39 will begin to yaw in the neighborhood of 2". IIRC the next best is Yugo.
    You may be right - I was speaking more broadly. In general, the heavier 7.62 is more stable and less likely to yaw than the lighter 5.56. I also think the 5.56 is more likely to fragment if it does yaw.

Of course, you can get a broad variety of bullet designs to do just about whatever you want - from deep penetration to rapidly expanding designs that minimize the risk of over-penetration. Lots of choices out there to fine-tune the load to your specific task.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I owned a Mini 30 for several years and while a typically solid Ruger product I found it was not any more acurate than my SKS's of which I have several. Still have the SKS's and sold the Mini.
    Interesting post. I had a chance to get a Chinese SKS for about $200 recently. It was a bit rough, and the previous owner had painted the stock in a camouflage pattern. Still, it was a shooter at a good price...

However, I kept asking myself - "Under what circumstances would you reach for the SKS instead of the Mini 14 you already own?" I couldn't think of any - so I passed on the deal. Plus - I don't have any 7.62 ammo - one less caliber to stock.
    CT Lasers

I have a scoped 3x9 variable mini 30 ranch rifle comes with scope rings ,I have taken a couple of deer with it farthest shot was around 200 yards,I have 10 round mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You may be right - I was speaking more broadly. In general, the heavier 7.62 is more stable and less likely to yaw than the lighter 5.56. I also think the 5.56 is more likely to fragment if it does yaw.

Of course, you can get a broad variety of bullet designs to do just about whatever you want - from deep penetration to rapidly expanding designs that minimize the risk of over-penetration. Lots of choices out there to fine-tune the load to your specific task.
    I agree there is a much greater selection of bullet type than in the past. The PRC/Yugo info was from a study by Dr. Gary Roberts. Which, at the time, I was pleased to hear as I have a substantial supply of PRC.

I used to have a Ruger Mini-Thirty... It was a great little deer rifle for hunting on the ground and in the brush. Accuracy was decent out to 100 yards with about 2.5" groups. It was definitely not the tack driver my AR-15 is, but it got the job done on deer. However, I've never hunted deer with .223.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have "mini 14 that is 10 years old. Fun to shoot, but as to accurcy ???
    This model has the "old twist" & @ 100 yd.s is not all that accurate"

My "TAC Rifle" is a SOCOM18 ( 7.62 NATO )

I also use it for hunting. ( 5 Round mag & Hand load hunting tips - my gun is "spected for 7.62 NATO not .308. - dif. head space etc) Th e version I have is "straight stocked" & only a top rail for a scope.

I have taken my share of deer & a couple of Elk with it

Puffer

Links