help deciding .308 ar

This is a discussion on help deciding .308 ar within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am exploring possibilties on an AR with a 20" barrel chambered in .308/7.62 Nato (functionality and commonality so please dont argue). I dont have ...

Thread: help deciding .308 ar

help deciding .308 ar

I am exploring possibilties on an AR with a 20" barrel chambered in .308/7.62 Nato (functionality and commonality so please dont argue). I dont have a lot to spend but dont want it unless its a reliable firearm. I am toying with the idea of building one so I know the ins and outs if something malfunctions, breaks or what have you and can fix it myself. It needs to be able to accept 10 round and 20+ round mags. I want iron sights and scope possibly also an undermount tactical light as it will be a multi-purpose addition to my meager arsenal.

What can I expect to be the "most critical" purchase as far as effectiveness/reliability is concerned? The most expensive? Stock...stripped lower...parts kit...upper. Also, what scope should I add for as close as 100 and far as 500 yards? 3-9x40, 4-12x40, other? The purpose(s) will be deer hunting, range practice/fun and possibly some long distance 500-600yd shooting.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

2. Remove Ads

You might want to take a look at some of the DPMS offerings, I think they have a sportical in .308. It is a bare bones AR, but they are supposed to be reliable. They also take the new 20 round PMAGs in .308.

As far optics, are you looking for combat accuracy at 500 yards where you can hit a man sized target reliably (then I would stick with something low powered or iron sights), or precision accuracy when you start needing those high powered scopes? Or both? In which case something like a 2.5x10 is handy, since you can use is low for close in, and still make far shots.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for your response buckeye...hope I get some more though. lol
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I have my eye on an Armalite AR-10. This is what I would love to pick up: 10SBF

but this is more likely what I will be able to afford: 10TBNF

I currently have a SA SOCOM 16 with irons so that fills my semi auto .308 and a Savage Bolt gun in .308 with a scope. Love them both, but want a .308 Armalite to match my .223 Armalite when (hopefully) I do get my Armalite, I will put irons, glass and a red dot optic on it. Irons will be on the same plane as the glass and a small red dot (RMR or something like that) 45 degrees off the irons plane. I think that should cover close, mid and long range.

CyBuzz

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    The only problem with armalite, if it is a problem, is the magazines only work with armalite designed magazines.

They are not a widely accepted magazine such as the pmag and others that alot of other rifle manufactures build around.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I've got a .308 DPMS Sportical that I am quite pleased with. It doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist, but for a bare-bones AR-10 type, it's great; plus, it uses the standard .308 pattern magazines, which Magpul makes PMags for, and they're cheap to boot.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hunted last season with Remington's R15/Ziess scope. Great gun, absolutely no problems, camp from factory, good price. Bought a second one in .204 Ruger for the small varmits....

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Went through the whole thing, reasearched everything out there and shot most of them.

I decided to go with the Rock River LAR8. I was going to get an Armalite, but their mags are like 60 bucks a peice.

The Rock River uses mags that the L1A1 uses, both metric and inch and can still be found for 10-15 bucks. It has a fair two stage trigger that I like.

The DPMS sportcal is a good deal but dosent have a foward assist.

The only fly in the ointment is that the RR are hard to get. I've had one on order for awhile.

Check out the RR site. You can get one built however you'd like it.
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=254
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I was gonna suggest Armalite, but after careful review...I would probably go with his suggestion. May be cheaper and quicker to build one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Try to staying with the SR-25 style guns rather than AR-10 design. You'll enjoy a much larger aftermarket.

FWIW, I recently started a thread comparing Ar-10s, FALs, CEMTEs, and M1As. I realize only AR-10s/SR-25s are really the only ones that apply to you, but there was some pretty good info about them in here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...bang-buck.html

Hope that helps.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I fell into a good deal on a used Armalite AR10 A2. Knew about the mag issue, but the deal was too sweet to pass up. So far, I really like it. Shoots sub-MOA with factory ammo if I do my part. My wife bought me a Bushnell Elite 6500 Mil Dot scope to go with the rifle. It shoots almost as good as my Remington 788 tackdriver.

Talking

M1A1 but then that's why I'm Old School.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links