Kel-tec long guns

This is a discussion on Kel-tec long guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thread.... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-2000-mod.html has gotten me thinking. I would like to have a nice plinker, that breaks down, looking at the Su-16 and Sub-2000K. Both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-tec long guns

Kel-tec long guns

This thread....http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-2000-mod.html

has gotten me thinking. I would like to have a nice plinker, that breaks down, looking at the Su-16 and Sub-2000K. Both have their obvious pros and cons. Capacity vs weight and power, etc. I was considering this as a gun to fold up and put in a BOB if necessary and SHTF. Both are good to at least 100 yds and more with the .223 model. My question is this...Does anybody have the dimensions when they are folded up and open, width, heigth etc. to determine viability in a BOB. I already have an AR, but would like something slighlty more portable and not as expenisive and valuable to me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    SHTF gun .... umm I would get something more reliable as you may not be able to obtain anything other than the keltec if it breaks down unless you take it off a dead person.

Secondly the guns shops will probably be swarming with Zombies so chances are if your keltec is broken you probably will not be able to get in the shop with out being bitten and turned.

That is my experience with their pistols at least. I dont know about carbines they make; could be a whole nuther' level.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Guess I should have phrased that differently...sometimes my mind works slower than my typing finger.

This would be a break down gun in my "get me home bag". All of the time. and possibly a "Backup/loaner to a competent person, and common ammo gun to my sidearm" gun. My AR will be my primary, or my 12 ga. shotgun. Would not at all be my primary defensive long gun.

Thanks for the comment though.

Mainly want it for something small and portable to go in a 3 day pack style back pack. The fact that they run on Glock or AR mags also make them very handy indeed.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I follow your logic, jwhite.

Here are the specs on the SU-2000:
    Calibers: 9mm Luger 40 S&W
    Weight unloaded: 4.0 lbs. 1.8kg
    Length Open: 29.5" 749mm
    Length Closed: 16" 406mm
    Barrel length: 16.1" 408mm
    Aperture rear, Circular hood, Adjustable front Practical range/ over : 150yds 150m
    Rifle features an internal keyed deployment lock. Rifle can be reduced to a size of16" x 7" to facilitate secure storage: 406 x 178 mm

Although, for your purposes, I like the idea of the SU-16A better:
    Calibers: .223 Rem 5.56mm
    Weight unloaded: 5.0lbs. 2.3kg
    Length Open: 37.4" 950.0mm
    Length Closed: 26.4" 670.6mm

Barrel length: 18.5" 470.1mm *
    Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds 10 rounds
    Barrel Diameter: 3/4" to 5/8" 19.1mm to 15.9mm
    Twist: 1:9" 1:228.6mm
    Bolt Travel: 4.1" 104mm
    Trigger Pull: 5lbs to 7lbs 22.2N to 31.1N
    Barrel Weight: 26.1oz 738.8g

Was I correct in my statement in that the SU-16 does accept AR Mags?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Yup

I have a Sub 2000 .40 and it fits in my patrol bag easily. It is a great gun to get you home. I can put all my rounds freehand in a paper plate at 100 yds. Also at 100 yds you have the same energy as my G22 does at the muzzle. This would have been an ideal gun for escaping NOLA during Katrina. I really like the fact that it takes the same mags as my G22 since I always have 3 mags on my person. Great SHTF weapon that accompanies me everywhere.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Yes.

Also, the folded dimensions of the Sub2K are 16X7 with standard mag...a little larger (but still bookbag packpack or laptop case size) with the 33 rd mag.

Another KT you might find interesting is the PLR-16...a pistol that fires 5.56/.223 and takes AR mags...I just ordered one.

EDIT: Oops...should have looked further...I see you already got the dimensions...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Kel tec makes decent weapons. However, they are not exactly designed for battle.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

BAC
    I have an almost irrational want for a Sub-2k and an SU-16C... The things I want to do to the SU-16C would cost more than the firearm itself.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Kel tec makes decent weapons. However, they are not exactly designed for battle.
    Not really looking to fight the Gulf War...LOL Got my Colt AR for that Just need a dependable plinker that goes bang and stores away easy, and is portable on the go to get me home.

Not really looking to fight the Gulf War...LOL Got my Colt AR for that Just need a dependable plinker that goes bang and stores away easy, and is portable on the go to get me home.
    This is my feeling on the subject also.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have looked at the PLR 16 but the SU-16 seems more packable. I still like the idea of the Sub 2000K also. They both obviously have their ups. I carry a Glock EDC, so it obviously appeals for compatability. I also own an AR and have plenty of AR mags around. Think both would be a great long gun to have around in a snap.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Yeah, I figured. Just was stating that they are good, but no real replacement for an end of the world type senario.

I am a great fan of both kel tec and the su16 series of rifles.

They seem ideal for backpacking and trunk gun purposes, and they also have parts commonality with an AR. (Bolt, and a few others I believe)

For your stated needs however, I would suggest the Sub2000 though. It is small enough to keep folded and under a coat without drawing too much attention. Because if the situation is bad enough that you need to carry a long gun to get home, you probably don't want to draw any attention from what would most likely be really stressed out and overworked police.

Plus it can match your pistol with both weapons and ammunition.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Those Sub2000 9mm caught my attention. 16" folded huh...a little package with some oomph. Seems to me like a nice price friendly truck/trunk gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links