New AR 15 purchase questions/advice

This is a discussion on New AR 15 purchase questions/advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at purchasing an AR 15 for fun at the range and SHTF go to gun. I don't have a ton of money to ...

View Poll Results: Which AR 15 will work for me?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • CMMG bargin bin chrome lined M4.

4 16.67%
  • Spikes Tactical M4.

10 41.67%
  • Bought upper, assembled lower, please recommend.

3 12.50%
  • Other, please state.

8 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR 15 purchase questions/advice

Question New AR 15 purchase questions/advice

I'm looking at purchasing an AR 15 for fun at the range and SHTF go to gun. I don't have a ton of money to spend but want something that will suit my needs.

My use for the rifle will be as follows:
    -Range trips twice a month at most
    -General plinking
    -SHTF go to gun

At the range I will be shooting at a maximum of 300 yards, usually done with my bolt action Savage, but mostly 100 yards.

In all honesty I'd like the rifle to be accurate enough to smack a 12" steel plate anywhere from 100-300 yards consistently. I'm not looking for a rifle that will shoot sub MOA, I've already got that out of my bolt action. I'm really just looking for something to have a little fun with.

Now, what I'm looking at currently is the CMMG chrome line 16" M4Bargain Bin. The other option I'm looking at is ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

$800 is about what I'd like to spend for just the gun itself. I've read that I can save some money if I wanted to assemble the rifle. I think I could assemble the lower, but I lack a vice to be able to install the barrel. The other issue is I'm not sure where to look for a reasonable priced lower and parts. Looking at Spikes Tactical brings me to almost the same price as the rifle assembled.

Is the lifetime warranty of the spikes tactical worth the extra $150?

If the CMMG Bargin Bin rifle will suite my needs then the decision has kind of been made, I'd just like to get everyones opinion before I spend the money.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I think you have unecessarily limited your choices. DPMS, Rock River,Stag Arms and Bushmaster can be found in your budget if you look hard enough. Good luck with your search. It has been said many times that "everyone should own an AR"

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I think you have unecessarily limited your choices.
    Then by all means recommend what you think I should get. I did put "other" on the pole.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Then by all means recommend what you think I should get. I did put "other" on the pole.

Sorry I went back and edited my first response.

I can only speak from what I have experience with and I have a Spikes, m-4 with quad rail, eotech, with a Spikes 37mm under that has never ever jammed with about a 1000rds through it. I use Sig mags and have never had any feeding problems, I highly recomend them

I built my AR from scratch. Bought a stripped lower and upper from DoubleStar. DoubleStar Lower Parts Kit. Daniel Defense Low Profile Gas Block. Then I bought a YHM diamond fluted 16" barrel 1:9 twist. Got a YHM Diamond rifle length fore grip on it, it is a bit long and heavy and I am considering putting a standard sight/gas block and a Magpul MOE fore grip on it. My stock is a Magpul ACS. Got a Magpul MS2 sling and the ASAP Sling attachment. My bolt and charging handle are both Daniel Defense.

Websites I bought things from. (You have to call DoubleStar customer service though.)

MidwayUSA

Valhalla Tactical Supply

Yankee Hill Machine CO

DoubleStar Corp.

You have so many options when it comes to AR's it is ridiculous. Be sure to take your time and look at all the options! And IMHO when it comes to lowers... they're all the same. Uppers is where I have noticed a difference. Happy building!
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

BAC
    I can think up a BCM build that will cost about $850 plus transfer. Barring this, I'd just get the Spikes rifle, buy replacement trigger and hammer pins (just in case) and a few more Pmags, and call it a day. At the $800 limit, I don't think there are any other rifles that will top it in terms of desirable features.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I'd say other. Last dec. I picked up a Bushmaster Optics Ready Carbine for $750. The gun shop wanted it gone before the end of the year inventory and subsequent tax bill

You can get a decent entry level red dot sight for under $200, along with some 4 rail hand guards and a light to hang from em and you've got what you need. Just be patient ( I know it's hard). From what I've heard the Spikes is a good weapon at that price point.
    Being shot in the process of committing a crime provides potent Pavlovian conditioning to the perpetrator.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    You can never go wrong with Rock River Arms since I have not yet experienced any malfunction on my LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" rifle after already firing over 1,000 rds. of both .223 and 5.56 ammo. Also had a good deal too buying it for around $880. I was expecting it to be more than $1K. And it is very accurate that I didn't even have to zero in the sights at 250 yds, all the groups hitting the bullseye. I am so confident with its accuracy that I spend time with it at the range nowadays doing tactical point/aimed firing at silhouette targets from realistic distances of 10-25 yds. I feel no need to install any telescopic sights since its main purpose is last resort urban home defense, not sniping. Customer service is also very responsive. It also never hurts to buy extra ammo, extra mags, and spare parts for it. Oh, I hoarded a bunch of them, even a bayonet for it, that same day I first bought my LAR-15(LOL).

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing an AR 15 for fun at the range and SHTF go to gun. I don't have a ton of money to spend but want something that will suit my needs.

My use for the rifle will be as follows:
    -Range trips twice a month at most
    -General plinking
    -SHTF go to gun

At the range I will be shooting at a maximum of 300 yards, usually done with my bolt action Savage, but mostly 100 yards.

In all honesty I'd like the rifle to be accurate enough to smack a 12" steel plate anywhere from 100-300 yards consistently. I'm not looking for a rifle that will shoot sub MOA, I've already got that out of my bolt action. I'm really just looking for something to have a little fun with.

Now, what I'm looking at currently is the CMMG chrome line 16" M4Bargain Bin. The other option I'm looking at is ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

$800 is about what I'd like to spend for just the gun itself. I've read that I can save some money if I wanted to assemble the rifle. I think I could assemble the lower, but I lack a vice to be able to install the barrel. The other issue is I'm not sure where to look for a reasonable priced lower and parts. Looking at Spikes Tactical brings me to almost the same price as the rifle assembled.

Is the lifetime warranty of the spikes tactical worth the extra $150?

If the CMMG Bargin Bin rifle will suite my needs then the decision has kind of been made, I'd just like to get everyones opinion before I spend the money.
    Once you buy one that is of good quality, trust me, you will have lots of fun with it. Out of all the guns I own, I find my M-4 style AR-15 rifle to be the most enjoyable and accurate to shoot. Beware, it can be very addictive too (LOL).

Re: New AR 15 purchase questions/advice

Save your pennies and get a LWRCI.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You can turn off that auto-signature ya know Judo.

Took me awhile to figure that out with my phone.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

What are everyones opinion on the Smith and Wesson AR15's? Specifically the AR15OR.

BCM makes an upper in about any configuration you'd want, and may be the best value buy for a top quality tool. They just started making complete guns, too.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    BCM makes an upper in about any configuration you'd want, and may be the best value buy for a top quality tool. They just started making complete guns, too.
    Do you know where I can look at prices for BCM rifles? Their website doesn't list prices for complete rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links