The Noveske, as Upgraded.

This is a discussion on The Noveske, as Upgraded. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've had the Noveske for almost a year and this is what I've come up with. I'm still going to research some optics. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Noveske, as Upgraded.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

The Noveske, as Upgraded.

So I've had the Noveske for almost a year and this is what I've come up with. I'm still going to research some optics. The Millet DMS will allow me to try different powers so I can gauge what ACOG I might like, or if I like the Millet I may upgrade to a Trijicon Accupoint.

Any way, here's the list and pics. I think it's still pretty sleek. The stock is nice and smooth and offers a superb spot weld and the AFG provides for a more natural grip without being sticking out in the way.

Millet DMS 1-4X Scope
    American Defense QD Extended Scope Mount
    Magpul ACS Stock
    Daniel Defense Omega Rail
    Magpul AFG
    BCM Gunfighter Large Charging Handle

Still need to hit the range and try everything out, life and the weather keep canceling my range trips.

2. Remove Ads

Nice, don't make excuses saying the weather is keeping you from shooting there devil dog.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I effing LOVE my Noveske SPR. I've never handled a nicer AR, and couldn't be happier with it. What can I say in an AAR? It's perfect in every way it should be...

I am contemplating an AFG for my "fighting" AR... I'm interested in your opinions.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

BAC
    Hey JD, you can send my rifle back any time man. Thanks!

OPFOR, I have not had the chance to do any significant shooting with the AFG but in handling it alone I already know I'll own one when I can swing the coin for a rail system. As someone with long arms who likes holding the rifle as far out as comfortable, I think it's as perfect as I could ask for without putting it through a carbine course to know for sure. As someone whose wrists aren't very flexible, it's definitely a comfort upgrade.

May or may not be for you but I definitely encourage you to try ($30 is a pretty cheap accessory where ARs are concerned).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Wow that is trick.... I like it a lot.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I'm 6'4", with an appropriately long wing span. Comfortable shooting positions are few and far between, though I've trained myself to shoot an M4 platform from a relatively close support hand grip. I use a vertical foregrip, and am comfortable with them (though I realize their limitations).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Nice, don't make excuses saying the weather is keeping you from shooting there devil dog.
    Not my range so when the matches get called off for weather, there's not much I can do about it. Besides, I'm all for shooting in the rain etc, but when I need waders to get to the firing line and a raft to keep my range bag out of the muck, it's time to wait until things dry up.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I effing LOVE my Noveske SPR. I've never handled a nicer AR, and couldn't be happier with it. What can I say in an AAR? It's perfect in every way it should be...

I am contemplating an AFG for my "fighting" AR... I'm interested in your opinions.
    I never really liked the vertical handles, they just seemed puny and I didn't like them in the prone, I have a couple handles on hand and I plan on doing some testing with both the AFG and the vertical handle to see which I prefer. I just remember the vertical handles always being in the way while not in use, slings getting caught around them etc.

As far as just getting acquainted with the AFG is concerned, I like it. It seems like a more stable shooting position than when using a vertical, raises the bore line just a hair when compared to using regular handguards and it seems that I don't muscle the rifle as much as I end up doing with a vertical grip.

VIP Member
    One benefit I've come to appreciate with the VFG is the way it positions my thumb in the right spot to manipulate the tail-cap push button on the light (I don't like remote switches/pressure pads, but that's purely my own preference). Will the AFG put your hand in a good position for manipulating lights/PEQ-4s/etc?

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    One benefit I've come to appreciate with the VFG is the way it positions my thumb in the right spot to manipulate the tail-cap push button on the light (I don't like remote switches/pressure pads, but that's purely my own preference). Will the AFG put your hand in a good position for manipulating lights/PEQ-4s/etc?

If you mount it one the rear of the rail, and switch the gadgets to the left side, you may be able to manipulate them as desired, but I'm willing to bet it's not going to be as intuitive.

You can see from the stock photo below that you can get the thumb up to active/push buttons, but the locations of the AFG and the device would have to be switched.

One of the things i like best about using a vfg, right there. I can manipulate my suefire with no change in grip. JD, you ma want to invest in some rail covers not that I see how you are holding it with the new grip.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    One of the things i like best about using a vfg, right there. I can manipulate my suefire with no change in grip. JD, you ma want to invest in some rail covers not that I see how you are holding it with the new grip.
    That's next on the list along with a couple more 20rd Pmags. The Omega Rail came with covers which are installed but I think I may change them out to something else.

Lead Moderator
    Was considering a AFG myself. I found I like my MOE stock and handguards much better than the stock M-4 style stuff. I am not sure if the P mags are worth the extra expense or not , my mil spec mags seem to work well enough.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Looks GREAT! I'm going to look into the AFG myself as I recently removed the VFG from my AR. It just didn't feel natural to me and I find I like the more traditional forward hand position better. I'm also going to have a look at the Millet line of scopes.

Thanks for the leads JD!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not my range so when the matches get called off for weather, there's not much I can do about it. Besides, I'm all for shooting in the rain etc, but when I need waders to get to the firing line and a raft to keep my range bag out of the muck, it's time to wait until things dry up.
    Price you pay for living as a flatlander....Come to WV, we have lots of "natural" ranges and back stops. LOL The water usually runs off pretty well in most places.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links