2 3/4" VS.3" Magnum Buckshot? - Page 3

2 3/4" VS.3" Magnum Buckshot?

This is a discussion on 2 3/4" VS.3" Magnum Buckshot? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I too am a fan of #4 for many of the reasons stated by Lance, and I've covered same in other thread postings. And same ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2 3/4" VS.3" Magnum Buckshot?

I too am a fan of #4 for many of the reasons stated by Lance, and I've covered same in other thread postings.

And same as Guardian I too keep a few shells of 00 Buck (2 3/4") at hand as well as a pair of slug shells (Remington Slugger) for purpose of dealing with dangerous beasts be it canine or in my area black bear.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

One other 2-3/4" option is Centurions' "Buck&Ball" load which is 6 #1 buckshot followed by a .65" ball traveling at 1300 fps. If anybody or anything is hit with that, they're going down!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I realize this is an old thread (zombie thread? LOL) but i just picked up a box of 12 gauge Winchester Ranger Low Recoil "Law Enforcement Only" 00 buckshot. Haven't had a chance to test any of it yet. Anyone have any experience with this load? I've only ever shot regular 00 buck (military).
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I'm surprised to hear all the, "2 3/4 should be plenty?" I like that I can carry one more 2 3/4 shell and the fighting gun is lighter but 3" is awesome. I have a belt of nothing but 00 3" shells. I also have a belt of PDX1 2 3/4 and Slugs. I agree that you may practice less with the 3" but they way I look at it is if my life is on the line I want the most powerful tool to defend it. When your adrenaline is flowing you won't feel one bit of recoil.

I shoot several different brands but usually load Winchester Ranger low recoil 2 3/4 00 buck for HD,at less than 10 yards anywhere in my house those 9 pellets are gonna leave one small ugly pattern and will very likely have the wad stuck in there too
    IsaiahM33 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use the Federal low recoil flight control in #1 buckshot. (LE1321B)

Quote Originally Posted by MeanAction View Post
    I'm surprised to hear all the, "2 3/4 should be plenty?" I like that I can carry one more 2 3/4 shell and the fighting gun is lighter but 3" is awesome. I have a belt of nothing but 00 3" shells. I also have a belt of PDX1 2 3/4 and Slugs. I agree that you may practice less with the 3" but they way I look at it is if my life is on the line I want the most powerful tool to defend it. When your adrenaline is flowing you won't feel one bit of recoil.
    I think you missed the post where it was pointed out a 3" shell actually isn't more powerful, it just has a bit more payload.

And, all things being equal, you will get back on target faster with a 2-3/4" shell that with a 3"...because counting on a one shot stop is unwise with any weapon.
    pgrass101 and gasmitty like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

2 3/4 seems adequate for me..... either one will get someone attention...never compared them side by side, but i figured cost difference, as one factor, if i want to go big, i grab the turkey /duck hunitng gun n 3 1/2 inch shells, but i only want to go big when i go hunting....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    I realize this is an old thread (zombie thread? LOL) but i just picked up a box of 12 gauge Winchester Ranger Low Recoil "Law Enforcement Only" 00 buckshot. Haven't had a chance to test any of it yet. Anyone have any experience with this load? I've only ever shot regular 00 buck (military).
    Haven't shot it years but it was ok. Didn't do anything close to scientific testing of it. The thing to remember is that there are only two ways to reduce recoil. You either reduce your "throw weight" or your velocity.
    For inside the home I think they are entirely adequate. For out in world I prefer the fifteen pellet magnum loads.
    IsaiahM33 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    I like #4 buck for HD, I still get a tight pattern and don't have as much penatration as 00
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I like #4 buck for HD, I still get a tight pattern and don't have as much penatration as 00
    I'm a big fan of #4 as well for the same reason

3" kicks like a mule....NO FUN AT ALL....2.75" very noticeably less recoil....LOTS OF FUN....I shot 15 slugs and 5 OO buckshot a few days ago and my shoulder is fine. I've been told that #4 shot is plenty good for HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I think you missed the post where it was pointed out a 3" shell actually isn't more powerful, it just has a bit more payload.

And, all things being equal, you will get back on target faster with a 2-3/4" shell that with a 3"...because counting on a one shot stop is unwise with any weapon.
    I guess my hand missed the point cause the 3" shells sure feel more powerful than the 2 3/4. If the 3" are not more powerful why would it be easier to get back on target then? I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time buying that a 3" doesn't have more powder and isn't more powerful and doesn't kick harder. I wonder why they call them magnum loads?
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links