AR15 Charging newbie question

This is a discussion on AR15 Charging newbie question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all sorry I've got a newbie question for everyone. I recently purchased a new stag ar. I got it home and noticed when I ...

Thread: AR15 Charging newbie question

AR15 Charging newbie question

Hey all sorry I've got a newbie question for everyone.

I recently purchased a new stag ar. I got it home and noticed when I pulled the charging handle back, it doesnt recoil back to it's starting position...it's kind of free floating until i hit the bolt carrier.

When should the charging handle be recoiling back to the start position? I havent had a chance yet to load up a mag and practice loading and unloading and clearing rounds. So i've only charged it with an empty mag in the gun.
    guns rule

2. Remove Ads

Your bolt is locked back. The handle is not spring-loaded to return to closed, it rides back with the bolt. I.e. if you pull the handle back and lock the bolt open with the lower part of the bolt release button the handle has to be manually returned to the closed position.

Edit: I just read the last sentence. When you put in an empty mag it does the same thing: when cycling the bolt the mag locks it open to assist with reloading. You put in a loaded mag and release the bolt, instead of putting in a loaded mag and charging the rifle like on an AK.

Gotcha. So the only way it does an "AK" style charge is if I hold the bolt release button while pulling the handle?
    guns rule

Do you have an empty magazine in the mag well? If so it should stay back. If there is no mag in, or a mag with rounds, then it should be able to be pulled back and released, and go forward on its own.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Do you have an empty magazine in the mag well? If so it should stay back. If there is no mag in, or a mag with rounds, then it should be able to be pulled back and released, and go forward on its own.
    yeah that's what I was doing..I havent played with it without a mag in it..and i guess not going through loading and unloading it i havent discoverd that..

sorry like i said it was a real newb question but i got it so late lastnight i havent gotten to really check it out..i was watching youtube videos on the basics about loading, assembly, and such, and noticed how all the guys had their charging handles recoiling back whenver they were messing with it...i guess it was a premature worry that something was wrong with mine. haha
    guns rule

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    Gotcha. So the only way it does an "AK" style charge is if I hold the bolt release button while pulling the handle?
    That will be only necessary if you have an empty mag in. Otherwise you only have to pull and release the handle. You may wish to not let the handle slam back if you are not loading a round. Don't be gentle when loading a round, however, just let 'er fly. If you ride the handle back when loading a round the bolt may not lock and you will then have to use the forward assist.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    yeah that's what I was doing..I havent played with it without a mag in it..and i guess not going through loading and unloading it i havent discoverd that..

sorry like i said it was a real newb question but i got it so late lastnight i havent gotten to really check it out..i was watching youtube videos on the basics about loading, assembly, and such, and noticed how all the guys had their charging handles recoiling back whenver they were messing with it...i guess it was a premature worry that something was wrong with mine. haha
    No need to apologize, everyone has had those jitters when they get a new firearm and aren't sure everything is right with it. Glad to help
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links