AK black finish question

This is a discussion on AK black finish question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got myself a Yugo AK underfolder. Nice gun, makes a loud bang and looks like business. Not sure about the black finish. Is there any ...

Thread: AK black finish question

AK black finish question

Got myself a Yugo AK underfolder. Nice gun, makes a loud bang and looks like business. Not sure about the black finish. Is there any way to keep that nice and shiny or enhance the black? looks like the heat of putting 120 rounds through it kinda dulled the finish.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've never had an AK that would stay decent looking. Not something the commies worried too much about I guess.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I've never had an AK that would stay decent looking. Not something the commies worried too much about I guess.
    so best just let it be ugly and utilitarian?

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    so best just let it be ugly and utilitarian?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the "uglier" the AK looks, the prettier it is. But the AK is a good example of function over looks. Unless it's a rare AK that's reserved to Safe Queen, show-off piece only, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Not sure what the black finish on the rifle is but what do you mean by dulled the finish? Do you mean gas and powder residue on the finish after shooting maybe? Did you wipe the gun off with solvent after shooting it? If the finish is wearing off all you can do is refinish the metal parts with a tougher finish. The Century Arms underfolder Yugo's which likely yours is have a parkerized finished which is typicaly dull gray/black not shiny.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Got myself a Yugo AK underfolder. Nice gun, makes a loud bang and looks like business. Not sure about the black finish. Is there any way to keep that nice and shiny or enhance the black? looks like the heat of putting 120 rounds through it kinda dulled the finish.
    If it's nice and shiny now, it's probably paint. 120 rounds in short order through an AK47 should start things smoking here and there with a newer one or refinished. You'll smell gunpowder and paint burning at the same time! Dull black? Kinda tactical actually. Parkerized is nice to my thinking. I also think a used AK47 looks way better than a new one....if there is such a thing as a "new" AK47 these days. AK47s do mean business, and most of this world revolves around business at the working class level. You can market it all you want, but without someone to make it, you don't have it. That's working class, and that's where the AK is at. It works. The only shiny AK47 I'd ever have is one of those gold plated ones, and I wouldn't be shooting that. Your AK......like it, love it, grow old together and accept it as you both go through changes in life. It's what was meant to be.

The beauty of an AK is that it works every time, always.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    The beauty of an AK is that it works every time, always.
    Ummmm...... not so much.

I have a pile of crappy/broken/unreliable AKs in the arms room I could show you, if you'd like to come see it. 16 of them, to be exact.

Links