My first 30-06 & first scoped rifle

This is a discussion on My first 30-06 & first scoped rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today, at Vance's in Columbus, Ohio, I bought a Remington Model 742 Woodmaster 30-06 rifle with 4x12X Redfield scope for $449 in addition to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Today, at Vance's in Columbus, Ohio, I bought a Remington Model 742 Woodmaster 30-06 rifle with 4x12X Redfield scope for $449 in addition to the necessary accessories. It had good wood. Hey, do you know that a single 30-06 bullet cost more than one dollar?!!! I figure that this big-city rifle did not get shot a lot, either displayed or hidden away most of the time.

http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/a...f.jpg&newest=1
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; June 30th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Vance's is my favorite gunstore, and usually have what I want at a fair price.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    pics or it didnt happen
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    +1 agreed!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    +1 agreed!
    This!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Remington Model 742 Woodsman picture by OldColdWarrior2009 - Photobucket

Can you get it from Photo Bucket? Yes, I can.

Oh, like ya know, it never hurts to do some research first...even if your bad-companion gun buddy was gonna buy that good-wood Remington Model 742 if you didn't. So, of course, after you get back home and start scanning the net, you start having second thoughts with maybe a few regrets. It seems that Remington did indeed and in fact made a major mistake during the planning and manufacturing of the Model 742, boohoo, as you gun gals and guys can quickly see by scanning likewise. Despite the good pretty wood and quality of the other parts, Remington made and installed comparatively and relatively thin and weak steel interior rails for the bolt to slide and slam and whittle upon, chewing them up until the gun jams or will not work. Now, this hurt Remington real bad and made a lot of 742 buyers sad. I still want to buy a good bolt-action Savage .308 with a scope that is good enough and ready to go. This nice polite young salesman at Vance did not go into details about which I failed to ask about, but now pout if not shout about. According to most posts: When your 742 goes bad and fails, throw it away but save the wood if it is pretty and good.

After shooting this rifle, my very first 30-06 scoped rifle, I appreciated the previous gun brother who had owned it, taken care of it, had that Redfield scope tuned right in, and had kept the wood looking good. But, at a dollar per bullet, he probably had not shot it a lot. I cleaned it up after a box of bullets. My gun friend and I will go and shoot it again. Us, being dopes, adjusted my Savage's Bushnell scope all over the place, bullets not even hitting the target, getting carried away and shooting every shot different without a consistent grip and aim while sitting at a wooden table stand. Me and my friend will have to go back to Spring Valley and do it again. Well, at least it is a cheaper .223, you see.

VIP Member
    The 740s and 760s are great rifles but they are not target rifles. They should shoot to within 2 or 3 inches at 100 yds but don't expect much better. The deer won't mind too much because an inch or two is still dead. ; )

The real problem with these rifles is that because of the way the receiver is made they tend to string shots out when they get hot. Heat causes the thin wall receiver to change(warp) ever so slightly and it can change your point of impact around at 100 yds. Usually only up and down not left and right.

So when sighting in be sure to let the gun cool dowm to cold steel in between 3 shot groups. After sighting a rifle usually never gets shot enough to cause a problem.

You have purchased a very nice rifle. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    After shooting this rifle, my very first 30-06 scoped rifle, I appreciated the previous gun brother who had owned it, taken care of it, had that Redfield scope tuned right in, and had kept the wood looking good. But, at a dollar per bullet, he probably had not shot it a lot. I cleaned it up after a box of bullets. My gun friend and I will go and shoot it again. Us, being dopes, adjusted my Savage's Bushnell scope all over the place, bullets not even hitting the target, getting carried away and shooting every shot different without a consistent grip and aim while sitting at a wooden table stand. Me and my friend will have to go back to Spring Valley and do it again. Well, at least it is a cheaper .223, you see.
    I got one too.... same thing happened after I replaced the scope and bore sighted it. Couldn't even get it on the paper. Mines a 740 in .308.,,, was handed down to me. I read all the bad jambmaster threads but, mine functions like hot butter. I used tall scope mounts so I could also see the fixed sights.

Those 30-06 shells are hot! A hardcore long-range experienced target shooter, with a couple of rebuilt Enfield .308s [No, not .303s] helped out. My pal and I made a mistake of adjusting the scope of my new Savage .223 without me settling down with a consistent grip and aim, making every shot different and off. I don't know how much I want to get into this. Besides, the targets are a lot closer than 100 yards away on the adjacent Spring Valley pistol range. That man next to us was a professional target shooter.

Hey I bought the 760 Game Master(BDL) 30-06 back in 1980 when I was in college. I put a Redfield Illuminator 3-9x power scope which was about top of the line back in the day. Took down many deer with it. I keep mine in the case and wipe the stock down with Pledge 3-4 times a year. Mine also has the same style stock with the Basket Weave checkering. It brings back a lot of fond memories of my early adulthood years that I would not change for anything. Thanks for that pic.

Here's a poor picture of the 740 next to a Savage 30.06. Notice the scope height,..... still you can barely pick up the fixed sights.

The local prison used them for "tower guns" and I bought one when they went to the AR. Trust me on this, keep your chamber absolutely clean.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Vances is a great place.

I got a 7400 30.06 in a trade, but haven't shot it yet.

All of the believers pretty much say good gun, but keep it clean and take care of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links