Spikes Tactical

This is a discussion on Spikes Tactical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking for an AR and have heard a lot of people mention Spikes. Originally I was looking at a S&W M&P-15 or a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spikes Tactical

Spikes Tactical

I've been looking for an AR and have heard a lot of people mention Spikes. Originally I was looking at a S&W M&P-15 or a colt 6920. Now my attention is drawn to the ST-15 M4 LE carbine.ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

Does anyone have any experience with the spikes?
    Whats the quality like in comparison to the others mentioned?

I would be looking to use it for range use, HD, and SHTF.

I saw something on the bottom about having them pin and weld the muzzle brake. Should i be having them do this? What happens if i do or don't have that done?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I've been looking for an AR and have heard a lot of people mention Spikes. Originally I was looking at a S&W M&P-15 or a colt 6920. Now my attention is drawn to the ST-15 M4 LE carbine.ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

Does anyone have any experience with the spikes?
    Whats the quality like in comparison to the others mentioned?

I would be looking to use it for range use, HD, and SHTF.

I saw something on the bottom about having them pin and weld the muzzle brake. Should i be having them do this? What happens if i do or don't have that done?
    Here's the deal: Spike's is a great deal in an AR. Esp. at the price. You only need to pin and weld the muzzle accessory if the barrel is under 16" in length.

I say go for it.

Buy a .22lr bolt and some spare .22lr mags to train with it.

I love my spike's bolt. It lets me practice cheap.

I would suggest changing the hand guard. You will probably want to add some accessories in the future.

Spikes will tell you that a 'free floating' hand guard is the correct way to go. It does not interfere with the harmonics of the barrel and will be more accurate. I agree. They installed a Yankee Hill hand guard on my DPMS. It requires special tools and Spikes did an excellent job.

You can add something like the 'do it your self' Daniel Defense hand guard if you so desire but the Yankee Hill was only a few more dollars and it is done correctly. (it's lighter also)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

No personal experience...but I've read great things about Spike's. I've been considering the same for my first AR.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Spike's. I have a RRA that I decked out and upgraded guts on with BCM kits and bolt but I am thinking of getting a Spike's after some of the reviews I have read and discussions I have had on the various boards.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Where's Siafu when you need him? That man has got some beautiful looking rifles from Spike's Tactical...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I have heard nothing but great things about Spike's new LE rifles - if they come as advertised then they are about as close to mil-spec as you can get without enlisting. However I've also seen the CEO of Spike's threatening violence to someone else in the industry because he asked if he could see the metal certifications on their new LE rifles. Good product with piss-poor unprofessionalism... It makes me think twice about ordering from them...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Love Spikes products, extremely well made, cool t-shirts too.

A little strange that their CEO would conduct himself in that fashion. From what i saw of the specs though it seems to match or beat the M&P i was looking at for $500 less. I think I can overlook someones overreacting for that amount of money. That's plenty of money to start a decent stash of ammo.

Does anyone know where it would fall on "The Chart"?

As far as replacement parts does BCG, charging handle, and a lower parts kit about cover everything that would be needed?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Does anyone know where it would fall on "The Chart"?
    Spikes is in the same ballpark as BCM and Colt, IMO

I have purchased from them - Top tier service, Top tier parts.

Here are a couple pics (the lower is spikes):

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

They certainly look nice. I sent them an email last night about something. Already had a response this morning. I was impressed considering it was after business hours on a holiday weekend. Customer service seems good so far. Definitely going to keep this company on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by D Strokes View Post
    Spikes is in the same ballpark as BCM and Colt, IMO
    That is under serious doubt right now. AFAIK they still do not HPT, which makes doing a MPI less valuable. One without the other seriously reduces what it can tell you about the part.

As another poster mentioned they have not produced the documents verifying the steel used and that the tests are performed. This is why they aren't listed on the chart, because their claims can't be proven. It really is a shame because if they were to start HPTing their bolts and barrels and provide documentation they would be right up there with BCM, Colt, DD, and LMT at a very attractive price.

All that being said, at the price they sell for I would not hesitate to buy one. I would recommend looking at the midlength version. Only $10 more gets you reduced recoil, longer sight radius, longer handguard while retaining the FSB, and arguably longer parts life. While I'm in no rush to sell my carbine length 16" AR, I see no reason NOT to purchase a middy when buying new.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    That is under serious doubt right now. AFAIK they still do not HPT, which makes doing a MPI less valuable. One without the other seriously reduces what it can tell you about the part.

As another poster mentioned they have not produced the documents verifying the steel used and that the tests are performed. This is why they aren't listed on the chart, because their claims can't be proven. It really is a shame because if they were to start HPTing their bolts and barrels and provide documentation they would be right up there with BCM, Colt, DD, and LMT at a very attractive price.

All that being said, at the price they sell for I would not hesitate to buy one. I would recommend looking at the midlength version. Only $10 more gets you reduced recoil, longer sight radius, longer handguard while retaining the FSB, and arguably longer parts life. While I'm in no rush to sell my carbine length 16" AR, I see no reason NOT to purchase a middy when buying new.
    The things that are questionable, or that they do not do, are not sufficient to turn me off about Spike's. Their viral advertising is the only thing I have a problem with, as it's slightly annoying. But for $800, I can forgive those things. And, once they start actually doing and independently verifying those things, the price WILL go up.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Spikes is top notch. Great products and service. I own 3 Spikes rifles (.22, 5.56 and 9mm) and all are superb!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links