Lever 38/357 ? - Page 2

Lever 38/357 ?

This is a discussion on Lever 38/357 ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Typical 30-30 ammo ; 160 gr (10 g) cast LFN 1,616 ft/s , 928 ft·lbf .357 Buffalo Bore out of a 18.5", 1894 Marlin ; ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lever 38/357 ?

Typical 30-30 ammo ; 160 gr (10 g) cast LFN 1,616 ft/s , 928 ft·lbf

.357 Buffalo Bore out of a 18.5", 1894 Marlin ;
    a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast = 1851 fps , approx 1100 ft-lbf

Ok, now why do you think one wouldn't drop a bear with the right ammo ?

As with anything... the more distance the more it loses velocity and energy.... so it's more of a matter of how far away is the bear, or the deer ? You are as well off with the right ammo as a 30-30.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I own and Love a Marlin 1894C in .357. I waited almost a year to get one at a reasonable price. I struggled between the blued version and the stainless. For hard use the stainless is undoubtedly better but I ended up going for the blued version in the end.

Haven't shot a deer "yet", but have shot it alot and I wouldn't hesitate to take the right shot on a deer out to 100 or at a small black bear at much closer rounds. I would want a scope on it for deer hunting to help with shot placement due to my older eyes but for plinking out to 50 yards the buckhorn sights aren't too bad and for guys with better eyes, there are a ton of quality peep sights that would make it work out to the 100.

I love shooting .38's through it! The feel, the way it comes to the shoulder, etc. is all good but then again you know that! Happy early Birthday!
    Gideon

Well thank you Gideon!

I shot it the other day. Was nice. I like the .38's in it also. I didn't get a chance to put any .357 through it. Sort of slipped my mind. Was shooting with some friends and we each had 3 to 4 guns that we were trading off trying out, so somewhere in all that, I forgot to put some .357's in it and try it.

My tired eyes aren't that great with the iron sights either. I'm thinking about a scope already.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

When using the rifle for self defense (traveling) or home defense, would you choose a 357 or a 38 spl. round? (HP or FMJ-125 or 158 gr.) My thinking is that at close range of 50-100 ft. or out as far as 50-100 yrds. the 38 spl. would do the job just fine from a 20 inch barrel. What say you?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    For a scope, you can get a two piece mount from Midway USA; for the scope, I'm seriously looking at a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x x 32. It's a small scope in diameter and lenth. I think it'll look okay on top of this little carbine.

As for SD ammo, I think a regular power .38 JHP is more than enough for close in work. for outside I'd want/choose my AR15.
    Gideon

100 yrds std .357 FMJ ammo.... no sight adjustment.
    100 yrds std .38 FMJ ammo.... one click of the sight.

200 yrds .. .357 --- 1 click of the sight
    200 yrds ... .38 .... 2-3 clicks of the sight.

I use only the iron sights, and that works for me every time.

Now mine is a 24" barrel, so it would be more clicks on an 18.5 " barrel and I would think you would lose some velocity in comparison.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

great choice it is on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    When using the rifle for self defense (traveling) or home defense, would you choose a 357 or a 38 spl. round? (HP or FMJ-125 or 158 gr.) My thinking is that at close range of 50-100 ft. or out as far as 50-100 yrds. the 38 spl. would do the job just fine from a 20 inch barrel. What say you?
    For HD/SD I would have to say .357mag loaded with a bullet designed for thin-skinned game.
    My reasoning is that 38sp actually LOST velocity from my Winchester Trapper. The .357mag gained anywhere from 200-800fps depending on the powder used. With the slowest burning powder gaining the most velocity.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    For HD/SD I would have to say .357mag loaded with a bullet designed for thin-skinned game.
    My reasoning is that 38sp actually LOST velocity from my Winchester Trapper. The .357mag gained anywhere from 200-800fps depending on the powder used. With the slowest burning powder gaining the most velocity.
    When you say the .38spl. lost velocity, are you saying that the .38spl. had less velocity out of your Trapper than from a revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    When you say the .38spl. lost velocity, are you saying that the .38spl. had less velocity out of your Trapper than from a revolver?
    Yep. I ran different loads over a chronograph and my Trapper lost 50-100fps(depending on load) compared to my 4 5/8" bbl Ruger Blackhawk with the same loads. The 38sp+P did have a little gain in velocity(looking for my notes to give you the numbers for +P). Lead bullets didn't lose as much as jacketed bullets.

Some of my 38sp handloads were better, but the faster I pushed the lead, the more lead buildup in the barrel (Especially the last 5-6"). Some of the jacketed HP's were real erratic when pushed too fast, key-holing and in one case(110grn Silvertip HP) breaking up before hitting the target.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links