Lever 38/357 ?

Lever 38/357 ?

This is a discussion on Lever 38/357 ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm considering getting a SHTF rifle and want something that is good for SD as well as hunting. I've already pretty much made up my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever 38/357 ?

Question Lever 38/357 ?

I'm considering getting a SHTF rifle and want something that is good for SD as well as hunting.

I've already pretty much made up my mind on a Marlin 1894css.
    I like lever guns and want something that can be reloaded without taking it out of battery. Also do not want something with too much recoil. Would like for the wife to be able to shoot it as well.

We both like the Marlin 1894css because we also have .38/.357 revolvers and the ammo can be shared.

My question, because I'm not a hunter....with the .357 load in this gun, what is the biggest game one could take?

Marlin's website says everything from fox to black bear.

I kinda doubt the black bear, but what about deer?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

jfl
    Check this
    There is a discussion on bullet weights for .357 rifle for different type of game.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Check this
    There is a discussion on bullet weights for .357 rifle for different type of game.
    Thanks for the link. So it's possible is what I gather with the right ammo and shot placement. Shot placement being key.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Ex Member
    A lever action is a GREAT idea. It is reliable,'PC', and probably the last long gun to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I'm considering getting a SHTF rifle and want something that is good for SD as well as hunting.

I like lever guns and want something that can be reloaded without taking it out of battery. Also do not want something with too much recoil. Would like for the wife to be able to shoot it as well.

We both like the Marlin 1894css because we also have .38/.357 revolvers and the ammo can be shared.

My question, because I'm not a hunter....with the .357 load in this gun, what is the biggest game one could take?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Nice choice for SHTF. Reliable and the ability to share ammo with your side arm, a win-win in my book. I believe you will be happy with the Marlin.

I've taken from rabbits(38sp) to deer with .357mag handgun with no problem. With the added barrel length and the right ammo black bear MAY be within the limits of the .357 but, deer out to 75-100yds should be no problem.

Shot placement and retained energy are the keys. I limit myself to 50yds with my 4 5/8" Blackhawk for deer. That's as far as I feel comfortable to place my shots and with the short barrel, bullet velocity is already falling below MY acceptable level.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Nice choice for SHTF. Reliable and the ability to share ammo with your side arm, a win-win in my book. I believe you will be happy with the Marlin.

I've taken from rabbits(38sp) to deer with .357mag handgun with no problem. With the added barrel length and the right ammo black bear MAY be within the limits of the .357 but, deer out to 75-100yds should be no problem.

Shot placement and retained energy are the keys. I limit myself to 50yds with my 4 5/8" Blackhawk for deer. That's as far as I feel comfortable to place my shots and with the short barrel, bullet velocity is already falling below MY acceptable level.
    Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I was thinking.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    My Dad has taken several deer with a lever action 357. He really likes it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

The standard hollowpoints that expand at revolver velocity, will expand rapidly at rifle velocity (+ 500 fps) and produce shallow wounds in deer and other game. It is great self defense ammo as humans are thin and you need a rapidly expanding bullet.

For general hunting get some soft flat nosed bullets, they expand ok in revolvers and make a much better carbine round.

Around the house I would keep the hollow points in it, but for hunting go with 158gr or heavier soft nosed bullets.

A Marlin or Browning 92 work great in .357mag, you will like it.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    More than a few deer have fallen in front of my little Rossi 38/357. I prefer a 158 gr. SWC Keith style cast bullet in front of a stiff dose of Blue Dot for deer.

I have a Marlin 1894 lever action .357 mag. I purchased it for the same reasons you are looking at them. It is a gread HD weapon, and a good gun for deer in a woods setting up to about 100 yards. Not much for the long range reach out and touch them open field situations. Also good for medium and small game with 38s too. As was stated above, JSP rounds are good for hunting.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Black Bear are quite easy to kill. One of my Dad's friends killed 5 of them with a Colt Gold Cup .45 Auto, loaded with Federal's 230 gr Hydrashock load.

Both Federal and Winchester have good 158 gr JHP loads for the .357 Magnum that would do an excellent job on Black Bear. Both also have some heavier deep penetrating bullets that would offer even more penetration. Loads like Winchester's 180 gr .357 Partition Gold load and Federal's 180 gr .357 CastCore load would both be great for killing Bear.

For two legged varmints, a hot 125 gr JHP load would be best.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I don't have a rifle - yet. I like the thought of not adding \ having a lot of different ammo calibers. Since my handguns are .38 and .45 now I might like the idea of my first rifle being one that'd take the .38 ammo I already have.

Either gonna be something that takes .38 or if I do add another caliber it'll be a .22 for a fun gun.
    For God, Family and Country!

I have three .357 revolvers, one Henry .357 Big Boy, and a Winchester 94 in 30-30. I'm not a hunter, just a gun lover. My rifles are strictly for SHTF situations if such situation should ever occur, never let them get close. I've always believed the saying,"A handgun is something you use to fight your way home to the rifle". I like being prepared.
    Last edited by Magnum; July 13th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I own and Love a Marlin 1894C in .357. I waited almost a year to get one at a reasonable price. I struggled between the blued version and the stainless. For hard use the stainless is undoubtedly better but I ended up going for the blued version in the end.

Haven't shot a deer "yet", but have shot it alot and I wouldn't hesitate to take the right shot on a deer out to 100 or at a small black bear at much closer rounds. I would want a scope on it for deer hunting to help with shot placement due to my older eyes but for plinking out to 50 yards the buckhorn sights aren't too bad and for guys with better eyes, there are a ton of quality peep sights that would make it work out to the 100.

I love shooting .38's through it! The feel, the way it comes to the shoulder, etc. is all good but then again you know that! Happy early Birthday!
    Gideon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links