Why Rem and Mossburg? - Page 2

Why Rem and Mossburg?

This is a discussion on Why Rem and Mossburg? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Isn't there a Chinese-made Ithaca 37 knockoff? If there is, anyone own one? How's the quality?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Rem and Mossburg?

VIP Member
    Isn't there a Chinese-made Ithaca 37 knockoff?

If there is, anyone own one? How's the quality?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    Isn't there a Chinese-made Ithaca 37 knockoff?

If there is, anyone own one? How's the quality?
    Norinco UNC 1201
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I don't want a combat gun that loads and ejects through the same port.
    I agree. My training included speed feeding a round thru the ejection port if you were out and needed another shot quick. While it may be possible with the 37(I don't know) gravity and ejection/feed arms may get in the way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was seriously looking at the new Ithica Police model- actually asked to be on the "call list". But. Ultimately, they've had too many ups and downs and "Out of Business" times in the last few years. If I could have afforded to get dual sets of spares at the same time, I would have done it, but I didn't have the $$ to outlay all at once.

I've had P7s, and currently have STI BLSs- it sucks to be at the mercy of a manufacturer closing a line or shutting down. I'll never do it again. (If I were really pressed, I can make new BLS extractors from key stock and Kasenit, but it's not something I would be thrilled with doing! )

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    OD, GREAT lookin' weapon. May I ask how(where) you found it ?

Seems as though our bbls were shorter but maybe not. Now if you could come up with a "duck bill".

Also,bottom eject.....lefties loved that. -------Edited to add>>Also,OD,does your weapon have a small anchor stamped on the rcvr??----
    Last edited by RSSZ; June 19th, 2006 at 04:47 PM.

OD*
    OD, GREAT lookin' weapon. May I ask how(where) you found it ?
    Thank you sir.

Sure, I found it in a local shop, fella had it on consignment. The story went it was a USGI weapon, well, it has no Ordnance acceptance markings on the gun anywhere, but it does have the military barrel (relieved for heat shield), so I passed the first few times I was in the shop. I finally ask the shop owner if I could write down the serial and look into it myself, he OK'd it. I called the Ithaca historian (well, when they had a historian ) and he confirmed that it did indeed place in the serial number block of a 3000 gun purchase by the Navy Dept. in 1967. I asked him why it had no USGI markings and he stated the Gov't. was hurriedly buying up large numbers of weapons to ship to Asia at the time. The guy wasn't asking that much so I took it, but who really knows?

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Lets Not Make it personal this is first and Last Warning

I'm not trying to start a personal flame battle. I apologize if it seemed that way. I was simply curious as to what in my statement made the individual think that I was not familiar with the Ithica design.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I agree. My training included speed feeding a round thru the ejection port if you were out and needed another shot quick. While it may be possible with the 37(I don't know) gravity and ejection/feed arms may get in the way.
    Exactly. Combat loading and ammo exchanges are simple with the 870 design. They are simple with the Mossies as well, but the order of ops is a little different on the Mossies, IIRC, for the ammo exchanges. The 1100 and 11-87 are super easy as well.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

VIP Member
    According to the current issue (July 06) of Guns magazine, page 76, Ithaca is reopening in Upper Sandusky, OH....the article states: "The plant currently has 36 workers and is readying to resume production of classic Ithaca models."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

OD*
    They have been open (so to speak) since winter, at least to answer the phones and questions. The link I posted earlier is the current Ithaca Guns USA, LLC.
    http://www.ithacagunsusa.com/

OD*
    Seems as though our bbls were shorter but maybe not. Now if you could come up with a "duck bill".
    RSSZ (Bob, is that correct sir?)

Looking for info on SEALS and their shotguns, I ran across this "action figure" and his M37 duck bill, thought you might get a kick out of it.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    OD, that's a great pic. The "duck bill" is exactly as I remember it. Still thought the bbls were shorter,but thinking back on it,seem to recall that the 37 w/ mods would hold 8 or 9 in the mag(of 2 3/4") so maybe the long bbl is correct. Our stocks were spray painted flat black and the metal had been at some point parkerized or at least that look.

Had a buddy that was a Captain (he was only a E-6)of a Swift boat and his crew used them while doing a stop-and-check of the hundreds of sam-pans in the delta. The weapons were stuffed full of the ammo that we can only dream about today. Thanks again for memories of the good(??)ol' daze.-------

OD*
    You're welcome sir.

Yours may have been shorter, I was thinking they also had 18" barrels available? Mine is 19" and would probably look shorter with the full mag tube. I have a picture somewhere of a SEAL standing in a Swift holding what looks to the world to be a commercial field grade 37, I'll try and find that.

About the "duck bills" it was either in one of Jim "Patches" Watson's books on the SEALS or the book 365 Days, anyway, they talked of GIs just taking a hammer to the end of the muzzle to basicly get the same effect.

Thats a different "DB" than the one that was on the one we used, but ours had been tuned up for tunnel crawling,

The 37 Win 97 and its ilk made great combat guns, when they where strong and parts where around,, the only short comings for them really where the single action forend bar, they could bind it was said, but I haven't seen it done,,

Remingtons and the Mossbergs got and held onto the military contracts for damn near ever , and that in itself is good for some folks,,that and there are more after markets gadgets for them ,then any thing else,,there are other great shoties out there for "HD" or even "SD",, the NOVA is a real sleeper as are the newer semis out there

I would say most people buy Rems and Mossy because they are affordable, reliable, and common. I personally have never seen an Ithica 37 in person

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links